Share This Page:

Every other day V Every day

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Stinky

Every other day V Every day

Post by Stinky »

I think I know the anwser to this but I don't want to get it wrong. I can't remember why I started running every other day, I think maybe because of my shin-splints. Either way, I don't really have them any more so I really want to get this right as I think I am running out of time and not improving enough. Would running every-other day be more effective because I get a large rest between each run, or running everyday. I think running everyday exept one (i.e) sunday, but running every other day you get a large rest.
Thanks
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

I don't think there is anything wrong with running 2 days on the trot as long as you are fit enough - if you feel any twinges or fatigue then you need a rest. My mate who was a para years back said that when he was training for selection he used to run everyday Mon - Fri, and then have the weekend off. As long as you get some rest, and are strict with yourself, there shouldn't be a problem.
As they say - listen to your body. And don't do sprint sessions everyday or you really will get injured.
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Same here, monday to friday
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
jay999

Post by jay999 »

same here monday to friday maybe a rest day in the middle of the week as i do phys on a sunday morning aswell.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

So say if I were to take the Monday to Friday up, would I benifit more in time and distance then doing it every other day?
LostandFound

Post by LostandFound »

I don't think anyone can say for sure what the answer to that is until you try it
Jiml mix it

Post by Jiml mix it »

ill stick this post in here

do you rekon i could substitute a sprint session for a 90 minute game of football. plenty of sprinting around involved, and i am now playing football on a wednesday and a sunday. or should i try and do a sprint session at some other point in the week?
AndyG321

Re: Every other day V Every day

Post by AndyG321 »

Stinky wrote:I think I know the anwser to this but I don't want to get it wrong. I can't remember why I started running every other day, I think maybe because of my shin-splints. Either way, I don't really have them any more so I really want to get this right as I think I am running out of time and not improving enough. Would running every-other day be more effective because I get a large rest between each run, or running everyday. I think running everyday exept one (i.e) sunday, but running every other day you get a large rest.
Thanks
I'm training for hopefully my PRMC sometime soon and the London Marathon in April and have always been advised to do one day on one off. That may just be for me but I tore my calf last year when I was training 5+ miles a day. I was very fit at the time but as I was pushing myself it's just too much for your body to take!
Since then I do one day run then the next I'll hit the gym, do weights and press-ups pull ups etc then do a swim leaving my legs recovered for a run the next day and my upper body then gets a rest on my run day!
Since then I haven't had any injuries...touch wood ;)
If I don't think I'm working hard enough on my runs I'll do sprints between lamp posts and that kind of thing or I'll just do a shorter run and go flat out! I find varying things really helps and you don't just become an expert at running 7 miles at a steady pace which won't help in the long run!

Hope that helps!
Application - 15th Dec
Recruit tests- Pass
Eye test - Pass
Interview - Pass
Medical - Pass
PJFT - Pass
PRMC - Pass!!!
RT - 23rd July

PB's
------------------
1.5 miler - 9:17
London Marathon - 5:19:24
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

I've done 1 day on 1 day off for a few months, then i did 2 days on 1 day off for a few months, my fitness went up ALOT more doing 2 days on 1 off...

but thats just me,
_chris

Post by _chris »

I've settled to doing 2 on 1 off 3 on 1 off and seem to find that ok, fitness is improving relitvely fast.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I think I will start off with 2 days on, 1 day off, then maybe move onto your Idea _chris.
Thanks y'all
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

Sounds good.

When i first started running last century... :lol: i used to run once every 3-4 days to get my legs used to it and my body used to the battering, then i'd move down to every 2 days, then every other day, then went upto 2 days on 1 day off then 3 days on 1 off then did that for ages, now i do 6 times a week with 1 day off. You've got to get your legs used to being used that much, then build up gradually, if you try and start running long distance everyday without much training beforehand you will burn out really quick, happened to me.
Iwonderhowlongmynamecanbe

Post by Iwonderhowlongmynamecanbe »

gjd1986's answer was bluddy perfect, good job man !!! Saved me having to write it too :lol:

Follow gjd1986's advice - i knw i definetly will be, aint been running for yonks and its a bitch to start up again...5 mins running, 20 mins catching my breathe...repeat til exhaustion :oops: :roll:

Just gotta keep pluging away at it haha...!!
I don't really know what to say here - apart from GOOD LUCK to everyone going to PRMC or POC - remember: people here have been there and come out alive, pass or fail....its YOUR EFFORTS that count!!!
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Iwonderhowlongmynamecanbe wrote:gjd1986's answer was bluddy perfect, good job man !!! Saved me having to write it too :lol:

Follow gjd1986's advice - i knw i definetly will be, aint been running for yonks and its a bitch to start up again...5 mins running, 20 mins catching my breathe...repeat til exhaustion :oops: :roll:

Just gotta keep pluging away at it haha...!!
:lol: