Share This Page:

POC Fitness

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
jay999

POC Fitness

Post by jay999 »

Hey as I previously mentioned I am taking my POC on the 5th of next month. However I am feeling a bit paranoid about my fitness scores to tell the truth. I know the second day of POC is very much strength of mind but im still unsure if my scores realistically will get me through the RMFA on the first day of the course. I know the RMFA works on a points basis where you have to get 200 to pass the RMFA however I don't know how the points are weighted ie how many point so many reps will get you. I am currently gettting out around 50pressups, between 50 and 60 situps(one effort with no rest) and 6-8 pullups. Can anyone give me an indication of how these scores would fair on the POC? Thanks
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Remember that your scores may be lower as you willhave been THRASHED before you even do your bleeptest etc. I tell you i was already thinking "SOD THIS!" by the time the bleep test started. Your scores are good but make sure your cardio is very good.

I got good scores on the RMFA (situps/pressups/pullups) but my cardio was shite. Basically i spent the next 2 days in hell because i was nowhere near fit enough, especially on the endurance course. I thought i was fit too :o

If you don't think your cardio fitness is up to scratch at the moment, put it off and get more training in because a fail goes on your record.

Cheers
Goy

Post by Goy »

To be honest press ups, sit ups and pull ups will be the least of your worries when you get there. When you think about it the upper body exercises of the RMFA last about 5 minutes. Whereas you will be running on your bleep test for about 30 minutes, running on the bottom field for 3 - 4 hours and running on the endurance course for about 3 hours.

You do have to be crazy fit to pass the POC. I did mine, and failed (the only one too :cry: ) last september with 8 others (it was a small course). During the RMFA i got 12 on the bleep test, which I thought was good, until everyone else on the course carried on, none of them got below 13.5 :o

During my debrief they said good scores were 50 press ups, 70 sit ups and 10 pull ups.

Personally I found the commando/leopard crawling the hardest, especially pushing that log, up that hill...ouch
jay999

Post by jay999 »

Sorry think I explained badly. I know cardio is a major factor in the POC but what I am trying to prevent is falling at the first hurdle as it were. I just wanted to know if those kind of scores would see me through the RMFA or if higher scores are needed. Cardio and generally running is more my strength as I have quite a wiry figure as it is so i guess it comes naturally it is upper body that is mainly my weakness. But thanks for the advice much appreciated.
Paulc83

Post by Paulc83 »

Dont mean to sound a dunce or that i havent been reading up but what does RMFA stand for, is this something only in the POC? If so that may be why i am not aware of it. :oops:
pschometric test- passed
eye test- passed
interview-passed
medical -passed
pjft- 9.02

A fool learns by his own mistakes, a wise man learns by others.

push ups 72
pull ups 8 but it nearly killed me!
sit ups 70 form questionable
1.5 mile-9.12
jay999

Post by jay999 »

It stands for royal marines fitness assessment mate. Its just the bleep tests situps pressups and pullups that are formally assessed. It's part of POC and PRMC
Jack1988

Post by Jack1988 »

If you get them scores you'll get your 200 points, thats if you get a reasonable bleep test i got 316 points on mine, for a good pass or for what they like to see is 50+ press ups, 70+sit ups 10+ pull ups, and level 13+ on the bleep test. If i were you i would try and get 5 reps on press ups, and 10 added onto your sit ups and 1 or 2 on your pull ups, and you'll be flying, well not when you'll be carrying them logs that nearly broke my back! :P

You don't have to be super fit to pass, all you need is some slow fecker on the endurance course, so when you come out of the tunnels you get a nice earned rest waiting for them!:wink:
jay999

Post by jay999 »

I think I am getting there had a lighter session yesterday so was not as knackered from the day before as I usually feel and I managed 50 pressups, managed to gain 10reps on my situps and got 70 and I managed 8 good form pullups. That was after running 5 miles in the wind having showered with clothes on and soaked my boots through to try and simulate the weight so I am certainly feeling more confident now. Suffice to say that thrashing yourself everyday isn't always good. Do a light session and then test your scores the next day and you may be suprised.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Just wandering, are the press ups timed? I can do 100 press ups easily and can get the 80 within 2 mins, my pull ups are good but i haven't tested my max for a while, i am getting middle of 12 on the bleep test but its press ups I'm worried about. I can reel out 20 which i do 4 sets of a day but I haven't tested myself when pressured for time. Thanks
Mitch
jay999

Post by jay999 »

All the events are timed I believe mate so pressups sit-ups and pullups are all in 2minutes each. They used to be done to a beep however I now believe it has changed to doing as many as you can in the time limit at your own pace.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Mitch wrote:I can do 100 press ups easily and can get the 80 within 2 mins
Mitch wrote:its press ups I'm worried about
If you say so.. :o
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Jack1988, you did POC, thought you did PRMC?
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
Jack1988

Post by Jack1988 »

Done both.

I did my POC in May last year, passed it but there was a mix up, they thought i was going to university, so my AIB date was too late for this years in take, they had me going for a bursuary.

So i thought i just want to get in as soon as possible, so thats why i'm in RT in a week and not starting YO training next september.

I prefered my PRMC to my POC much better laugh, i was also the youngest by 2 or 3 years on my POC, and wasn't from a boarding school back ground so i didn't fit in :wink:
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Jack1988 wrote: I prefered my PRMC to my POC much better laugh, i was also the youngest by 2 or 3 years on my POC, and wasn't from a boarding school back ground so i didn't fit in :wink:
Again, i can't tell ya how glad i am to hear that - i'm the exact same.
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

scum all the way lads :wink:

Jack gotta get your number mate before next week, pm me, 5 of us are meeting in exeter for the journey to ctcrm. Up for joining in mate?
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D