Share This Page:

My work out before RT.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Jack1988

My work out before RT.

Post by Jack1988 »

This is what i'm going to be doing before starting RT.

For my Press ups, sit ups, pulls ups, and squat jumps, i'm only going to do 2 sets of each, and this is my entire work out, the only other things i'm going to do is the usual long run, short fast run, sprints on sand dunes, bike rides and swimming.

For each first set i'm doing just short of my maxium, for example my Pb for press ups is 73, so on my first set i'm going to do 60, then for the second set exactly 60 seconds after, the 2nd set is the progress marker, this is max effort, did this today and i could only manage 30 press ups on the second set, i will continue to do this untill i can get 60 press ups on the 2nd set, which i can't do right now as 60 seconds is not alot of rest for me after doing 60 press ups. When(hopefully) this target is reached, i won't increase the reps, i will do the 2nd set after 45 seconds, and then 30 seconds will be overall target for rest between 2 sets of 60.

I'm doing exactly the same for sit ups, first set 100, then 2nd set i only did 60, pull ups 14 on the 1st set and only 7 on the 2nd, and my squat jumps, this made me feel sick as fook after today, because i'm not used to doing them, i only did 30 and i can't move after that the lactic acid just builds up to hell for me.

So my aim before i start RT in less than 6 weeks, Jan 22nd.
Press ups, 2 sets of 60 with only 30 secs rest
Sit ups, 2 sets of 100 only 30 secs rest
Pull ups 2 sets of 14 only 30 secs rest
Squat jumps, to beable to do over 40 without feeling sick 8)

What you guys think?
Last edited by Jack1988 on Wed 13 Dec, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Hey there mate,

Im liking the sound of this, seems hardcore, serious training began yesterday for me. Im training 3 times a day 5 days a week.

I think you will be able to crack it mate. My operation has all healed up and im already well into the training!!

Whats your 3 miler time mate?

RGJ-Rifleman
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
sloth

Post by sloth »

rgj-rifleman wrote:,

Im liking the sound of this, seems hardcore, serious training began yesterday for me. Im training 3 times a day 5 days a week.

RGJ-Rifleman
in an nut shell over training 1-2 sessions 5-6 times a week is more than enough keep doing 3 for 5 days and you will over train and burn out before you even start basic
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

3 times a day 5 days a week.
Sounds a lot to me :o 3 times a day.... are you doing an ironman or summatt??
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Hahaha,, Jack you are a machine.

Nice programe though mate.. Oh yeah Garet said his going in on the 22nd Jan with you.
PRMC: 21st November 06' - PASS
RT: Feb 5th
----------------------------------
3mile - 18:36
PressUps within 2minutes - 74
SitUps within 2minutes - 98
6mile - 41:05
9mile - 01:04:43
3mile (combat boots) - 20:36
12mile - 1:26:33
Paulc83

Post by Paulc83 »

rgj- how do you find time to train 3 times a day?
pschometric test- passed
eye test- passed
interview-passed
medical -passed
pjft- 9.02

A fool learns by his own mistakes, a wise man learns by others.

push ups 72
pull ups 8 but it nearly killed me!
sit ups 70 form questionable
1.5 mile-9.12
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

I've been wondering, is it better to spread press ups out throughout the day and do as many as possible, or do less but in a short space of time?

Do you think it would be more beneficial for me to do 8 sets of 30 spread throughout the day, or say 3 sets of 25 with little rest?
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Nice one mate. Good training regime there.

One thing I would recommend is yes, still do the occasional long run, but to be honest, in the 5 weeks I was in RT, we only did one 3 miler.

Things I would recommend training for prior to RT is press ups, sit ups and pull ups (like you are doing), sprints (again, like you're doing), burpees/squat thrusts and 1.5 mile fast runs/sprints as camp circuits are done in as fast a time as possible so would be good to practise. Just thought I'd throw that in for you lads too :)
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

I can find the time because im unemplyed now, and it isnt too much guys, you have to give it ago to understand it. lol mfat man, my dads an ironman triathlete so im taking little bits of his training so you could in a way relate it to an ironman lol.

Well look at it like this lads, yesterday, i did a 3 miler run and swam at the pool, and then in the evening i did sets of pressups and situps and chinups.

Thats 3 things, running, swimming, upperbody

it isnt hard especially with the time i have, and plus i want to be as physically fighting fit as i can before RT.

Its not excessive guys my body is already used to it, and plus without the toncils theres hardly any chance of me falling ill lol as i was constantly ill with toncilitis bringing down my immune system.

Ill keep you all updated on it. Tell you how it works out for me.

RGJ-Rifleman
Jack1988

Post by Jack1988 »

rgj, doing my 3 miler at about 18 ish mins, what about your self?

Going to start my running properly next week, i've got a little niggle at the mo.

Kyle, thanks for the info, at least i'll have someone from my room in PRMC :P
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

No prob mate. There are probably a few more guys from PRMC that will be joining with you. I only got Owen, Stuarts and Garets number.
PRMC: 21st November 06' - PASS
RT: Feb 5th
----------------------------------
3mile - 18:36
PressUps within 2minutes - 74
SitUps within 2minutes - 98
6mile - 41:05
9mile - 01:04:43
3mile (combat boots) - 20:36
12mile - 1:26:33
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Jackmy pb for a 3 miler is nowhere near yours, mine was 20:30, but im hoping to get under 20 before i start RT. You must be a really natural runner for 6 min miles mate, Really well done, whats your secrets.

Ah i still havent added your msn yet, sorry mate, will do it now lol

RGJ-Rifleman
Jack1988

Post by Jack1988 »

I think i am a little bit of a natural runner, as when i started a few months ago training, my first 5 miler(5.3 actually), i did it in 32 mins, which is properly still my fastest, that was because i didn't know how fast to go!

I'm quite small as well, so that might be helping me? When you see me at RT you'll see i'm actually probably the slowest runner there, for things like 100m 200m and sprints, well i was at school, but would ace cross country, just have a lot of endurance i guess.
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Thats an awsome time, im thinking you will probs be one of the better runners out of the troop. Im definetly not a natural runner lol wish i was though, once all the training goes in 13 miles wont be a problem after the old 30 miler ay :wink:

Well todays training i did another 3 miler run, 1000m swim, and sets of upperbody workouts.

My strenth is coming back now since the op, my muscles are waking back up lol!