Share This Page:

RMAD Diary (05/12/06)

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
euro_andrew

RMAD Diary (05/12/06)

Post by euro_andrew »

Hey guys after being asked by Paulc83, I have decided to drop in a RMAD Diary for people thinking about giving it a go.

A few things to remember before heading down.
1. One of the instructors knew me from MFAT! so dont be a c**k on here.
2. Make sure you address the PTI's and other staff properly, Stand to attention when spoken to and be respectful.
3. Dont worry about it! its not PRMC its a day for you to see where your at. just relax and enjoy it.

RMAD Date: 05/12/06
Start time: 10:00
End time: 15:30 (Approx.)

The Start

I arrived at 9:30 half and hour before we were ment to be there. To my suprise as soon as I walk in to the mess room I was pretty much the last person to get there! everyone had turned up really early for some weird reason. Anyway after chatting amongst ourselves there was a role call and we then met one of the Colour sargents, who then took us down to one of the class rooms for a brief on the marines and what we can expect during our lives as marines if we were successful.

After this we did a quick tour of the barracks. (One thing to renember the colour sargent got a bit pissed off when people were looking like they had just turned up for a funeral, no one was talking or smiling and everyone had their hands in their pockets. So when you are there try to show some eye contact and crack a bit of a smile so you look like you actually want to be there.)

Once we had seen the barracks we then moved in for a weapons aqcaint which we got to handle a 9mm pistol, SA80 A2, SA80 LSW, GPMG, and a L96A1 sniper rifle. Which was pretty cool, Its amazing how heavy those weapons are.

Lets get cracking ...

Anyway once that was all done we were told to get our kit and go get changed then get into 3 ranks out in the court area and where we would meet the man we would have to impress, The PTI.

He briefed us on what he expects from us as he would be the one deciding if we would pass or fail today. After this we were ordered into a warm up, It was pretty much running round in circles and when he shouted numbers to do certain things.

Eg.
1. touch the ground with your right hand
2. touch the ground with your left hand
3. change direction
4. jump in the air

Once this was done we met up with the Colour Sargent we had in the morning and went for the 3 mile run. (We were told that if we kept up with the Colour Sargent we would pass) We ran the whole 3 miles as a troop. IT was pretty easy pace I was at the front of the pack for most of the run. A few dropped out but most of the troop were pretty strong guys. I found it to be easy pace even after hanging back a little bit towards the end.

On arrival we were straight into a warm down while waiting for a couple fat nackers to get back. Then off to the showers and too lunch.

Just a couple things to remember here. during the day make sure you bring a couple sets of sports cloths as you will shower several times and dont wear those crap chav style nike air etc shoes as the PTI looks down on them and they are crap for running.

Onto Bleep test ..

Ok, now that you have had your light lunch the troop is then told to get changed and get ready for the bleep test. The troop is split up into 2x bleep tests so make sure you wear a jumper and long pants over your sports kit so you can keep you muscles warm while waiting for the other group.

After a brief from the PTI on how to do it and what level minimum you should attain(minimum 11). we started the bleep test. There were some really strong guys in our troop, a few making it to 14 and above.

I got to level 11.4 which I was pretty happy with as I have never done a beep test before. Once this was done we went up to the the drill deck and did a few team sprints to warm up for our pushups and situps.

First was pushups.. (there were heeps of guys cheating during the pushups and situps, the staff sergent could see it aswell and was beasting them. they were not touching as they were going down on pushups and also in situps not going right back ro keeping their knees together.)
During this I managed 40 pressups and 71 situps which I was bloody happy about because I was struggling wiht my pushups!

Next is the final gym test and we went down to the bottom deck and outside to do our pullups. make sure you dont swing during this and try toget your chin over the bar or they wont be counted. I managed 7-8 pullups but was only given 6 due to form.

All feeling pretty good we went for a shower and went to find out our results. I managed to get some pretty alrite scores and passed. A few of the guys who hadnt even done their PJFT failed and even a few who had their PRMC's booked in a few weeks had to drop their PRMC date because they failed prety badley.

At about 3:30pm we finished and most of us feeling pretty chuffed left ready to tackle the PRMC.

It is a really good day guys, if you have any doubts get down there and see how you perform underpressure. I thought I was no where near ready for PRMC but I have a little more faith now, so Bring it on!

Test results:
Pushups in 2mins: 40
Situps in 2 mins: 71
Pullups: 6
bleep test: 11.4
3miler: pass

Cheers guys,

Andy
Just Lie back and think of England.

AFCO 17 - Oct [b]Here I come![/b]
KJ-Edwards

Post by KJ-Edwards »

Nice RMAD diary mate, was good to read about it as i never went on one before my PRMC.

Your scores are good, not far off my PRMC pass scores. (Check my PRMC diary if you have not, might help you, well i hope it does).

Just remember Euro, when you get on that bottom field, DO NOT GIVE UP.
I think we were bit unlucky on ours as it all lasted around 3hours, as everytime someone got something wrong we would start again.
Supprisingly only two guys dropped out i think.

Anyway Euro, good luck and i hope to see your diary of a pass before i leave for RT on 5th Feb.

If it don't rain the bottom field won't be as fun :-)

Kyle (KJ)
PRMC: 21st November 06' - PASS
RT: Feb 5th
----------------------------------
3mile - 18:36
PressUps within 2minutes - 74
SitUps within 2minutes - 98
6mile - 41:05
9mile - 01:04:43
3mile (combat boots) - 20:36
12mile - 1:26:33
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

One of the instructors knew me from MFAT! so dont be a c**k on here
EA

Thanks for the write-up

ALWAYS THINK BEFORE YOU POST ON MFAT

Just because people don't post here doesn't mean they won't read what you write.... Start bigging it up on line and you will have a rep before you even start your courses.
ChrisBell

Post by ChrisBell »

Nice post Andrew, if i pass my PJFT this thursday will have my RMAD on 30th of Jan.
Worthers Original

Post by Worthers Original »

Sounds like more people should have a crack at RMAD before heading off to PRMC, if for no other reason than to reaffirm their readiness. I wonder how many of the "harsher" PRMCs had high numbers of participants, is it just a way of weeding more people out? Good effort EA.

:)
Macca

Post by Macca »

good effort euro and well done, quality diary aswel, gave me a good insight into the day, my cousin is a RMR colour sargeant there so it mite of been him showing you around, cheers for that anyway mate
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

Thanks guys,

KJ-Edwards I think I have already read your diary but I might give it a another read.

Bit nervous about PRMC, just hoping I get to leave with a pair of new boots and socks aswell!

Paulc83

Post by Paulc83 »

cheers for that it answered a load of questions. what scores were you geting before you went for the rmad with your running and push ups and stuff. also where was it held.
pschometric test- passed
eye test- passed
interview-passed
medical -passed
pjft- 9.02

A fool learns by his own mistakes, a wise man learns by others.

push ups 72
pull ups 8 but it nearly killed me!
sit ups 70 form questionable
1.5 mile-9.12
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

Ok umm before I went; I was doing 4 milers in under 30 mins, umm never did a personal best pushups or situps but could do 5 pullups before going.

And was held in merseyside... liverpool.

So yeah..

batess01

Post by batess01 »

haha, who was it that knew you?