Share This Page:

Running Shoes

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
MarkBunt

Running Shoes

Post by MarkBunt »

What are the best one's? i was looking at finding a shop who would see my running style in Leicester but i cant find one.. thanks for any help
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

You can try contacting a local Podiatrist and asking where a good sports shop would be where shoes are professionally fitted. Near to where i live theres a place called "Alexandra Sports". They really know their stuff.
digitalfreefall

Post by digitalfreefall »

Buy yourself the best pair of Asics you can afford, I splashed out on the new Gel Kayano X11's which are a bit pricy at £85 but are well worth the money.
If you are running on hard surfaces you need a pair of running shoes that will reduce the impact, Asics have never let me down.
Last edited by digitalfreefall on Tue 05 Dec, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBunt

Post by MarkBunt »

I run on treadmil and hard surface but most hard at the min as my mate who is in REME has just returned from a 6 month tour and he goes running with me
CODE

Post by CODE »

I agree completely with Digital, I bought a pair of asics GT-2100 about a year ago and they are the best piece of kit i've ever purchased. I was going to get a pair of nike, simply because im quite vain lol :oops: but after trying on the asics i was convinced they were for me. Try this link
http://www.asics.co.uk/web/show/id=41179
its the asics shoe advisor they give you information on your running style and foot type etc. they also have a store locator somewhere on the site that tells you where you can get the shoe they recommend for you.
Hope it Helps 8)
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

I've been running in the same pair of trainers for about 3 years, some adidas ones, full white leather with 3 blue/turquoise coloured stripes, they are getting a bit battered now like, still, the only thing thats worn down on them is the sole at the heel, going to buy a new pair of the same ones after xmas time, they are quality i think not as light as proper running trainers but oh well, never had a problem with them.

infact, these are the exact trainers i have, they are going cheap on ebay...

don't think the high streets sell them anymore. :x
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

They are not running trainers and will not be offering you the support you need while running.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
Worthers Original

Re: Running Shoes

Post by Worthers Original »

MarkBunt wrote:What are the best one's? i was looking at finding a shop who would see my running style in Leicester but i cant find one.. thanks for any help
Have a look in the back of a copy of Runner's World, they have listings of running shops around the country.
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

I can't believe you've been running in those for 3 years gjd! They're not running shoes.
Worthers Original

As with most things there are several schools of thought regarding running shoes. The "conventional" wisdom is that you should wear shoes which absorb the shock of impact but there are other people who wear shoes which simply protect the foot from getting cut up on the surface they are running on. Some of those of the second group wear little more than windsurf type neoprene "socks" when they run and rely on the bodies own natural shock absorbtion abilities, they argue that effectively running barefoot is biomechanically more sound that the adjustments your body has to make to run around on a styrofoam brick.

Each to their own.
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Worthers Original wrote:As with most things there are several schools of thought regarding running shoes. The "conventional" wisdom is that you should wear shoes which absorb the shock of impact but there are other people who wear shoes which simply protect the foot from getting cut up on the surface they are running on. Some of those of the second group wear little more than windsurf type neoprene "socks" when they run and rely on the bodies own natural shock absorbtion abilities, they argue that effectively running barefoot is biomechanically more sound that the adjustments your body has to make to run around on a styrofoam brick.

Each to their own.
But then again, humans never evolved to run on tarmac or concrete.
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

ali_hire wrote:They are not running trainers and will not be offering you the support you need while running.
They have never caused me any trouble.

I know they arn't running shoes but they work for me, if something works, why change? :)
Worthers Original

lodgi wrote:But then again, humans never evolved to run on tarmac or concrete.
I know a couple of guys who run 100mile weeks who wear shoes with the least "support", granted they are both racing whippets and are both pretty good club runners (around 2:30 marathon) but as I said, each to their own.
jammin87

Post by jammin87 »

One thing to remember Mark, price isn't everything. I got a pair of Brooks in the summer which helped completely with my running. Although Asics are regarded as one of the best running shoes, there are plenty of other types. I found when I was at a running shop, the guy helping got a pair of nikes, asics and brooks, all suited to my foot type. After having a little run in each pair I found the Brooks to be more comfortable, and luckily they were cheaper. Just don't go thinking you have to spend as much money as possible to get a shoe that is going to work for you.
MarkBunt

Post by MarkBunt »

Are the Army's PT-03 any good? i was also considering a pair of Asics as my personal trainer who is an ex-marine recommends them