Share This Page:

My current fitness-Opinions please

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Calais

My current fitness-Opinions please

Post by Calais »

Hey lads.

I'm posting my fitness standards here before I apply for the Royal Marines.

Take a look and tell me honestly if you think I should go for it now.

Those who passed PRMC, I would greatly value your advice and opinions.

5 mile run - 34:09

Pressups 2 mins - 55 (I reach 35 nonstop then do sets of 5...I'm worried about these)

Situps 2 mins - 90

Pullups - 15

3 mile run - 19:27

So tell me what you think, should I apply now, or more training for me? I want to do this right, but I also really have to get a move on soon.

Thanks alot guys, good luck with the training!
Facta non verba.
darrenrugby18

Post by darrenrugby18 »

Chances are fella that time from applying to PRMC is going to be around 4 months, maybe more or maybe less all depends on your AFCO. You scores are lookin good and with them you could pass PRMC with the right attitude so go for it.
CTCRM - 935 Troop
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Sounds like you're more than ready for a PRMC now, let alone in a few months. :o
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Yep, like Darren said, you have good scores there mate. Are you doing the push ups etc with correct form?
Do you do sprint training too? If not, throw some of that in too.
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Good scores but i'd recommend you lower your 3 miler as you must not underestimate the cardio requirements.
Calais

Post by Calais »

Thanks alot for the positive input lads.

Daveb, I think I'm doing pressups correctly, I really want to be able to knock out 60 in 2 mins though. More work do be done there but I'm definately going to apply now.

Oh yeah I do some sprint training on the hills here untill I'm hanging, and also do fartlek/interval running on my 3-4 milers.

I try to keep things as simple as possible, focusing on core exercises.

Again, thanks lads.
Facta non verba.
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Darrenrugby, did you say you were getting 21minute 3 milers before you passed your PRMC? Reason I ask is i've been training for some time now, about 3-4 months I think and i'm still struggling with the running. My best 3miler was 22mins a couple of weeks back. I think I could probably knock 10-15 seconds off of that now after a rest day, but how did you find the 3 miler?

Any tips on getting mine down? I've been trying to do a mix of different distances aswell as some hill sprints. Should I try and concentrate on 3 milers for a while or what?
Calais

Post by Calais »

Ran today, went all out and got a time of 18:18 on my 3 miler...I'm still riding on the high from that...cheers lads

Oh and lodgi...my running was abysmal last september too...I found sprinting up hills and running longer distances helped. Good luck buddy.
Facta non verba.
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

Lodgi, try adding sprint training into your training, meaning...

i used to run 3 or 4 mile monday, wednesday, friday and saturday or sunday, i hardly improved much if at all!, so i started to do sprinting on the tues, thurs and one day on the weekend, so im effectively running everyday bar one weekend day doing..

monday: 3 or 4 miler
tues: sprints
wed: 3 or 4 miler
thurs: sprints
friday: 3 or 4 miler
sat :sprints
sun: off or swim or what ever

..and guess what? it works. just after doing just one sprint session, the day after it i did the 3 miler and i ran alot quicker than i could do the last time i did it. and from there i've been doing that for a few months now, and my fitness has flown up.

give it ago if you want, see what works for you.

edit- when doing the sprint sessions make sure you kill it, breathing out a new arsehole somewhere, and when you are about to collapse, sprint some more. 8)
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

Calais wrote:Ran today, went all out and got a time of 18:18 on my 3 miler...I'm still riding on the high from that...cheers lads

Oh and lodgi...my running was abysmal last september too...I found sprinting up hills and running longer distances helped. Good luck buddy.
Good job, you just about ready mate
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

gjd1986 wrote:
monday: 3 or 4 miler
tues: sprints
wed: 3 or 4 miler
thurs: sprints
friday: 3 or 4 miler
sat :sprints
sun: off or swim or what ever
GJD, this seems a lot of sprinting, I did my hill sprints last night, and my legs are quite tired today. I normally rest after my hill sprints session, because it's particulalrly demanding. For this, i jog to a near by steap hill, sprint up it, then very slowly jog down it and sprint back up. I am doing 13 of these at the minute adding 1 on every couple of weeks. By the end, im absolutely drained, feeling a bit dizzy and and delirious.

Some people tell me to run longer distances, some say do more sprinting. I'm just wondering, how many times do you think you should push yourself as hard as possible? Everytime? I normally only push myself as hard as I can once a week. Is this not enough to get fit quickly?
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

i push myself everytime no matter what exercise im doing, be it press ups, sit ups or running.

yes its alot of sprinting but for me it works. i sprint for a mile in one direction with a nice steep hill half way, stopping when i have to, having say 30 seconds rest then sprint off again, then when i get to the 1 mile point, turn around, sprint back and having 30 second rests where i need them. when i get back to my car i'm f*cked. in my opinion by doing this my long distance running has gone ALOT faster, and its improved my cardio fitness ALOT too.

my legs are always tired the day after but i find that doesn't effect me, the acheing goes away once i start running.
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

gjd1986 wrote:i push myself everytime no matter what exercise im doing, be it press ups, sit ups or running.

yes its alot of sprinting but for me it works. i sprint for a mile in one direction with a nice steep hill half way, stopping when i have to, having say 30 seconds rest then sprint off again, then when i get to the 1 mile point, turn around, sprint back and having 30 second rests where i need them. when i get back to my car i'm f*cked. in my opinion by doing this my long distance running has gone ALOT faster, and its improved my cardio fitness ALOT too.

my legs are always tired the day after but i find that doesn't effect me, the acheing goes away once i start running.
You sprint for a mile?! I don't think so. You can't possibly sprint for a full mile. When I say sprint I mean run as fast as my legs can possibly take me with no thought of pacing myself at all, not just running fast. If you were to sprint for a full mile you'd be ready to die by the half mile mark.
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

Of course i don't sprint a mile, i mean't that i sprint UPTO a 1 mile point in one direction, stopping how ever many times i need to when and where i need to due to fatigue. then i turn around and do the same back.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Calias you look as though your well ready to apply for the Marines, by the time you get to your PRMC you will be at a very good standard of fitness and ready for it if you keep up what you are doing, good job mate.

yeh i got what you meant gjd1986, so how many miles do you do in one sprinting session, and how many sprinting sessions do you do in a day?