Share This Page:

Frequancy, Duration and Intensity

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
gjd1986

Post by gjd1986 »

I've started to run 3 or 4 miles everyday as my fitness level can cope with that now, i find that each day i go, the run gets easier and i go that little bit faster, surprising really as i only have about 24 hours rest between each run.

But thats just me.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Rompton wrote:Spooky i really dont want to argue with you. and im not disagreeing with any of your points you made. i just dont want people getting injured and the vast majority are better off playing safe.

as you said in another thread you are having knee problems yourself.
And thats fair enough, but testing yout limits does not mean your going to pick up an immediate injury does it? Its scaled stepping up of training. If it gets too much, slow down to the point its tolerable. Thats just basic stuff that you assert people should not do..!
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Fitness,

Yes of course it is very important, as you have to it (to a decent level) to pass the PRMC in the first place...BUT, and this i think is the biggy, it wont get you through CTC. Spooky i agree if you are as fit as possible when you get to CTC then it will help you, but only on the phys.

You need it upstairs to get through the course, and if you have it in you up there then the fitness you require to get through will come as the course progresses. What i,m saying is there will be guys who are very fit who pass PRMC BUT will fail RT because they dont hack the other aspects, and at the same time there will also be others who only just get thorugh PRMC but who will complete RT due to the fact that they grit it out and show some commando spirit when they are struggling, and they will gain the required fitness because simply they stuck it out.
Bennie

Post by Bennie »

Well, thank you all for the responses!

First off every point bought to light here is of use. And earlier on today I had spoken to a lad from my old school who has now just recently passed as a royal marines. I asked him what his pre-joining fitness schedule was, and he told me that he had just run three miles three times per week to the max. And now he is a marine, with just that little a training. Im in no way saying this will work for all, but it clearly shows that it's more than possible to pass with such a training schedule (and I know no one has said otherwise).

This is what I will be doing, and if it doesn't work I only have myself to blame.
GIB

Post by GIB »

This is what I will be doing, and if it doesn't work I only have myself to blame.
go for it and good luck :lol:

i had many other things to train for besides my prmc but it is surpriseing how the body recats to even a little exsercise...
again good luck mate

GIB
Mind over matter
They don't mind, and we don't matter
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

On friday, I ran a longish run (about 8 miles I think), the longest I've ever done, and my legs were killing for the last 2-3 miles. I didn't push myself too hard but my legs were aching when I got back (and that night when I tried dancing in town :)). I wasn't struggling too much for breath, and I'm just wondering what benefits this run will have given me? Do you still gain aerobic fitness on a long steady run or are the benefits purely leg stamina and building up the leg muscles?
GIB

Post by GIB »

On friday, I ran a longish run (about 8 miles I think), the longest I've ever done, and my legs were killing for the last 2-3 miles. I didn't push myself too hard but my legs were aching when I got back (and that night when I tried dancing in town ). I wasn't struggling too much for breath, and I'm just wondering what benefits this run will have given me? Do you still gain aerobic fitness on a long steady run or are the benefits purely leg stamina and building up the leg muscles?
im no exspert but im 90% sure it does what i call base cv which is the most important type of fitness.. means you can do lots of things with smaller work.. as you said Wicked for danceing.. i sapose you just this seconed got in :P

GIB
Mind over matter
They don't mind, and we don't matter
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

GIB wrote:
i sapose you just this seconed got in :P

GIB
Nah, was out friday and saturday so i've stayed off it tonight. On another note, i went down to the gym tonight because I had hang over earlier and couldn't be arsed to train, so I waited till I fealt better, by which time it was dark so I thought I'd go to fitness first. £10 for one session!! I'd travelled 15-20 mins or more to get there, so I paid it, but can you believe that? TEN QUID?! I must be daft lol. I don't normally go to the gym, but with winter drawing in, if you don't get you're running in by 4pm you gotta run at night, which I hate. Anyway, i'm rabbling on here.

Back to the topic, I was talking to a bootie about what training he did prior his PRMC, and he said he was running 35miles a week. As long as you don't injure yourself then theres nothing wrong with running as much as you want really is there.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Run as much as you feel happy with. No more no less. In the end it's up to the individual person. Remember your aiming for a pass on the PRMC. Your not training for a marathon! :D

Artist
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Just a quick point to those of you who are suggesting just train to pass PRMC ie; 3 miler, max press ups, sit ups etc... Given the fact that most lads on here seem to be getting their RT dates within a few weeks of passing PRMC then I think you're being very short sighted.

It would be fine to do that if you had a few months between passing PRMC and RT but with only about a month surely it would be of great benefit for you to be training beyond the levels expected for PRMC as it will help you to pass both. If you run 6 miles regularly then you will find 3 miles a piece of pi$$.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Right,

My two pennies worth.

The PRMC is there to decide if someone is at the level of fitness at that point in time that is a good enough level to go on and start RT. If you pass PRMC it is because you are at a physical level that will enable you to cope physically with the demands of the course (all be it that you are able to deal with the physical demands that will you wil be presented with at the start, and with them you will progress).

There is, in my opinion, no real need to train much futher than the PRMC pass level, regarldess of whether you start RT the next day, or 3 months later. If you needed to be fitter than a PRMC pass, then the PRMC would be harder. The fact is that RT is there to progressively build your fitness up for you, with the aid of the PTI's who have been doing that exact job for years.

What is required, regardless of fitness is the right mental attitude, without that you could be superman in terms of fitness BUT still fail the course. To put it simply, if you have what it takes upstairs to pass then you will, whether you have just scraped through PRMC or whether you have aced PRMC.

I honestly believe that training far beyond PRMC levels for alot of people could well be detremental to their future at CTC, and could well result in over use injuries such as stress fractures, shin splints and various other problems that can occur from too much training. When you get to CTC your body is going to go through vigourous training, and its my opinion that its better to for it to be fresh, than to be already on the way to burn out because you have trained to be far fitter than the required PRMC standard.

If you have been running 6 times a week and long distances then yes you may well have built up more fitness than from running only 4 or 5 times a week at a lesser distance, BUT you will have also covered many more miles and put much more pressure on your legs, knees etc, and your body will be far more likely to be on the way to a possible injury than had you trained to pass PRMC.

What is the point in turning up at CTC say with the fitness level of week 10? Yes you may find the phys a little easier in those weeks, BUT ultimately if you are at week 1 fitness when you join, you will be at week ten fintess when it comes to week ten. However if you have trained enough to be at week ten at the start, you will have already put pressures on your body, and they may be found out in the beggining of training.

Personally i just feel you risk an injury that much more if you train to be alot fitter than PRMC standard, when it is not a requirement and certainly no guarantee of passing RT. In my mind that makes it a risk not worth taking.

At the end of the day, however well or badly you pass PRMC, if you turn up with the right attitude you will pass RT.

dwarfy,

ps, this is discussion and opinion, not argument or fact. :lol:
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

Alfa wrote:Just a quick point to those of you who are suggesting just train to pass PRMC ie; 3 miler, max press ups, sit ups etc.
Nobody has suggested this, that is exactly why people have been arguing. Certain people on this board feel they have to reply to every single post that they feel is not exactly what they agree, even if it has been created by those that have actually passed the PRMC. People that are training for PRMC need both encouragement and realistic targets, not everyone on here is superman and can run 10 miles per day, even though it would be ideal if they could.

It is hard having a full time job and trying to train for PRMC, it does not help when people say you should be training for six days per week blah blah and running x miles per day, it just gives people unnecessary stress in the build up to PRMC and makes them feel like they have undertrained. YES it would be ideal if people could train 6 times per week and run 6 miles per day and finish off with 100 pressups, but NO it is not going to happen in most cases.

I think it is time that people stopped arguing about training programs etc and stopped upsetting people, my advice to anyone training for PRMC would be to listen to those that have passed PRMC or RT and see what those have to say and do not be disheartened by people who keep causing arguments saying you should be doing this or you should be doing that. I listened to those that done PRMC and RT and I trained accordingly which is why I got top scores on PRMC. I have no doubt with the knowledge I have gained from decent people on this site I will go on to get my green beret and be very thankful I was a member of this site.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

Dwarfy has hit the nail on the head, lets stop being so picky on this site and lets get real for the benefit of all users.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

I have no doubt with the knowledge I have gained from decent people on this site I will go on to get my green beret and be very thankful I was a member of this site.
Thanks Wedge :lol:

Fitness training is a somewhat subjective thing at times and what works for one does not work for all.

Arguments and "Point scroing" over training techniques where's the logic..... Our unit requirements are very different we can't pretend they are the same but we are here for the same thing and and that is to get fit!!!