Share This Page:

Frequancy, Duration and Intensity

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Bennie

Post by Bennie »

At the end of the day I shouldn't have opened this thread (I only opened it to make a proper debate about fitness, and it's turned into another war). I should use my initiative to get where I want. Thanks for all the responses mind you. And im sure if I can teach myself italian to a fluent level I sure as hell can get fit enough to pass royal marines training by myself.
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

Spooky wrote:I am trying to help, and all I face is crap like what TheWedge has to say and people following the advice of people who have nothing like the experience and knowledge I do.
I must admit I don't know much about you Spooky. I may have missed some stuff but I don't know your experience. If you are still in the corps, how long have you had your green lid and how did you get on with PRMC and that?, what were your scores and how did you find RT?. I think I am not the only one who does not know much about Spooky. You know what stage I am at, I wouldn't mind a quick paragraph from you just to know a little about your experience etc. Else point me to a thread that contains the relevent information :-)
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Spooks

Your turn to be called out...Come on tell all :wink:
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

TheWedge wrote:
Spooky wrote:I am trying to help, and all I face is crap like what TheWedge has to say and people following the advice of people who have nothing like the experience and knowledge I do.
I must admit I don't know much about you Spooky. I may have missed some stuff but I don't know your experience. If you are still in the corps, how long have you had your green lid and how did you get on with PRMC and that?, what were your scores and how did you find RT?. I think I am not the only one who does not know much about Spooky. You know what stage I am at, I wouldn't mind a quick paragraph from you just to know a little about your experience etc. Else point me to a thread that contains the relevent information :-)
Fitness is fitness be it for the PRMC, Army or as a civvy. So ANYONE can drop any thought of "but your not a marine... what would you know"

Dont assume just because someone is not a marine they cannot advise on getting fit to be a marine. Fitness is not a military skill, its the same across the board with a slightly different slant when it comes to the military in general. One which I well understand having been no stranger to humping a bergen across some miles.

Me, Im a qualified Gym instructor, getting onto extensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology, have been studying and trying out all sorts of training methods for more than a decade.

Ive got a lid and a stable belt from the Army. Two lids and belts in fact that Ive had for nearly eight years now.

That all being said it does not detract from the fact you didnt read my post properly; demonstrated in your responce. Attention to detail is important in the job you want. Misread orders like that and bods will be neck deep in the brown.

mfat_man wrote:Spooks

Your turn to be called out...Come on tell all :wink:

Done and done. Its about time somone developed the brains to ask that question as opposed to just gobbing off at what Ive got to say.

Congratulations TheWedge. (no sarcasm)
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

OK thanks for doing that.

MFAT was created orginally as a place where people come to for information to help get fit and hopefully take a military career forward. There are going to be differences of opinion and it's true what you say that if you are fit, it doesn't matter if you are in whatever service, the prinicples remain the same.

To prevent site arguements that drain people's time it's always better to quote from the experts where possible, and then let poster's own minds's up after that....
Scouser

Post by Scouser »

I don't know Bennie, I think the thread's quite useful. Just because people don't agree doesn't mean you can't take advice from it. Personally I'm with Spooky on this one, you will need to build up your stamina so you can keep going, way beyond the first few miles. You shouldn't be training to just pass PRMC/POC, going for the best 3 miler time and as many sit-ups etc in 2 mins, you should be training to be a Marine so that when you do start RT you can get the best out of yourself. Try throwing in a 10miler every now and then and see how you get on. If you can't do that you'll have problems when your trying to impress at PRMC/POC.
briggfoot

Post by briggfoot »

when you do run a (for example) 10 miler for fitness training, do you run that for a best time?
Its just that i went out running with a group and we ran 15km, but at a really chilled out pace, and i thought this would be futile.
However, these guys train like that often, and they are all much better runners than i am.
I just cant see how running more slowly leads them to being faster runners in races.

My fitness isnt up to scratch right now, and i can guarantee that my training isnt as good as it could be, but if i have a couple of weeks, i can get my 3 miler times right down.

When i am training running, i would normally do a few 3 milers as fast as i can in a week. That works for me.

All the best
Andrew
Rompton

Post by Rompton »

Same here i agree with all you said briggfoot.
jacko1234

Post by jacko1234 »

all good points lads , but lets face it its best to train for what your doing and if its your prmc , then thats 3 miler , pull ups , sit ups , press ups . Not sayin dont do any more , just saying its best to keep it simple not like there looking for supermen to go down there .
Don't consider failure and then it wont consider you!

Rt- 11th december 935 troop woahh
GIB

Post by GIB »

l good points lads , but lets face it its best to train for what your doing and if its your prmc , then thats 3 miler , pull ups , sit ups , press ups . Not sayin dont do any more , just saying its best to keep it simple not like there looking for supermen to go down there .
this is escatly what people are saying not to do.. yes you are running only 3 miles.. you train to do the prmc and do it at the standered pace.. the guy infront of you just did it with out brakeing a sweat.. guess what. he aint bothered about the bleep test at all because that run didnt mean anything to him coz at that pace, he could go for 10 miles.. and then coz he has better staimina afther the bleep test he gets to 13 and is ready for the press ups.. due to better oxeygen intake his muscles are ready for it.. do you see what i mean.. dont be fooled people yest train for prmc but the fitter you are the easiser it is...

if people disagree or think im talking crap.. please reply.. i want a debate not a argument though.. *cough spooky cough* :wink:

keep it polite.. :lol:

(sry about grama.. im not going for oficer)

GIB
Mind over matter
They don't mind, and we don't matter
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

GIB wrote:
l good points lads , but lets face it its best to train for what your doing and if its your prmc , then thats 3 miler , pull ups , sit ups , press ups . Not sayin dont do any more , just saying its best to keep it simple not like there looking for supermen to go down there .
this is escatly what people are saying not to do.. yes you are running only 3 miles.. you train to do the prmc and do it at the standered pace.. the guy infront of you just did it with out brakeing a sweat.. guess what. he aint bothered about the bleep test at all because that run didnt mean anything to him coz at that pace, he could go for 10 miles.. and then coz he has better staimina afther the bleep test he gets to 13 and is ready for the press ups.. due to better oxeygen intake his muscles are ready for it.. do you see what i mean.. dont be fooled people yest train for prmc but the fitter you are the easiser it is...

if people disagree or think im talking crap.. please reply.. i want a debate not a argument though.. *cough spooky cough* :wink:

keep it polite.. :lol:

(sry about grama.. im not going for oficer)

GIB
Just to clarify that bolded point there, I did nothing but state my opinion, people started gobbing off at me. Check your facts mate - ok?

That aside - your basically echoing my overall sentiment. As I said in another post, people should be training to be as fit as possible. Training to be marines. Not just training for the PRMC.

Who the hell trains to pass a joining test? If im training for something, I dont stop when I reach the required level. The fitter you are the easier everything is. Your absolutely right.
SP

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

jacko1234 wrote:all good points lads , but lets face it its best to train for what your doing and if its your prmc , then thats 3 miler , pull ups , sit ups , press ups . Not sayin dont do any more , just saying its best to keep it simple not like there looking for supermen to go down there .
I thought you guys were training to be marines? If you wanna get through the course your gonna need to be a lot fitter than the requirements of a PRMC pass. So no, its not best to train for a joining test when you know you can be and hopefully will be so much fitter than that.
SP

Rompton

Post by Rompton »

i agree with all the points here and what spooky said about it being stupid training and stopping at just the minimum level, as when just before i joined the paras i was only running max 3 milers mostly 1.5 miles and we all know that the minimum level is 9.18 min 1.5. i got mine in about 8.10 and when i got to catterick all was dandy fitness wise. (some may argue that i didnt pass but that was due to injury). So in my view either way works. REMEMBER the training team take you from minimums to max. i stress this because you need to stay injury free.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Rompton wrote:i agree with all the points here and what spooky said about it being stupid training and stopping at just the minimum level, as when just before i joined the paras i was only running max 3 milers mostly 1.5 miles and we all know that the minimum level is 9.18 min 1.5. i got mine in about 8.10 and when i got to catterick all was dandy fitness wise. (some may argue that i didnt pass but that was due to injury). So in my view either way works. REMEMBER the training team take you from minimums to max. i stress this because you need to stay injury free.
Rompton again you need to go back and read what Ive said. I really cant spoon feed you the point over and over that Ive always stressed to train as much as possible within your limits. I can take 6 runs a week, so that works for me.

Maybe some of you guys can too, but on your advice you wont ever find that out because your not even prepared to try to test your limits. No ones saying go nuts and end up getting busted because of it.

You can scale up your training, and you can scale down your training if your having a hard time. Im not saying to go out and hit a marathon every day, quite where you get this impression Im telling people they MUST do things beyond their abilities I cannot work out.

Your clearly not reading what Im writing and then misrepresenting it to others.
SP

Rompton

Post by Rompton »

Spooky i really dont want to argue with you. and im not disagreeing with any of your points you made. i just dont want people getting injured and the vast majority are better off playing safe.

as you said in another thread you are having knee problems yourself.