Share This Page:

Frequancy, Duration and Intensity

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Bennie

Frequancy, Duration and Intensity

Post by Bennie »

I thought i would start a fitness thread, I haven't much seen them latley on here, anyway moving along....

In regards to what thewedge said about the need of running only 3 times per week, i would say, i completley agree.

I have been doing that recently, two at three miles and one at four miles. All done till death, I must say it works very well. However a bloke who admittingly is fit as hell said I need to be doing it at least 6 times a week, and when I said no, he seemed quite insulted. (Goes to show not one thing works for every person)

As far as duration is concerned I limit myself to only 30 minute stints of pure hell, what sort of duration and frequancy do you lads employ?

Im very much interested in the different results of specific training types E.G high/low frequancy, duration and intensity. any imput would be great.
Rompton

Post by Rompton »

i run about 3-4 times per week and like you run hard. what that bloke said is not nessesarily wrong but i wouldnt recomend it. i run about 4 miles every time and do it in about 29.45 mins bearning in mind its all mostly hill. as far as duration is concerned i wouldnt run for no more than an hour.

i think limiting yourself to 3-4 run per week all of which are hard you will get fit just keep knocking those mins off your time.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

You need some longer runs in to work on the endurance side of things and not avoid becoming tuned to a four mile stint each time.
Variety is what you need:

Some shorter but FAST runs

Medium distance fastish

Long distance reasonably fast runs

Longer distance moderate runs etc...

Otherwise, first time someone says "Six miles, standby... go!" five miles down the road your body will be wondering what on earth is happening to it.
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
TheWedge

Re: Frequancy, Duration and Intensity

Post by TheWedge »

Bennie wrote:However a bloke who admittingly is fit as hell said I need to be doing it at least 6 times a week, and when I said no, he seemed quite insulted.
Remember, you are not training for a Marathon, 6 times per week is way too much for PRMC and you could expose yourself to injury not to mention the fact that you may start to lose weight rapidly, especially if the runs are over 3 miles per time. Your upper body needs attention too, so it is not wise to waste all your energy on your bottom half. The Gym tests depend on stamina but lots of upper body strength. If you become too thin from running long distances too often your upper body may suffer. 3 - 4 timer per week is more than enough for PRMC. Running them in a decent time makes more sense, target times are:

3 miles <= 21mins
4 miles <= 28mins
5 miles <= 35mins
6 miles <= 42mins

I just like to remind people of the risk of injury, I have been running all year but my knee injury really dented my confidence and I don't want any others to suffer the same. If you can get up to running the 6 milers in 42mins or less your endurance will be amazing. I have not run a 6 miler for 3 months now because of my injury but will be attempting some in the next 2 weeks or so.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
Rompton

Post by Rompton »

spooky wrote

*You need some longer runs in to work on the endurance side of things and not avoid becoming tuned to a four mile stint each time.
Variety is what you need:

Some shorter but FAST runs

Medium distance fastish

Long distance reasonably fast runs

Longer distance moderate runs etc...

Otherwise, first time someone says "Six miles, standby... go!" five miles down the road your body will be wondering what on earth is happening to it.*[/quote]

I only run 4 miles a go and out of experementation tried a 8 mile run which i completed in 61.17 mins. i think this is a good time (was on flat with only slight inclines) so this proves that not everyone need to concentrate on longer runs. i also think long un hard runs are unproductive.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

TheWedge wrote:
Bennie wrote:However a bloke who admittingly is fit as hell said I need to be doing it at least 6 times a week, and when I said no, he seemed quite insulted.
Remember, you are not training for a Marathon, 6 times per week is way too much for PRMC

You can never be too fit - and those distances are not really a lot, depending on his current level of fitness and the times hes already putting in on his runs of course.

and you could expose yourself to injury

Possibly, again that depends on his current level

not to mention the fact that you may start to lose weight rapidly,

Only if he's not eating enough, otherwise he will be fine.

especially if the runs are over 3 miles per time.

Absolute rubbish. Your body does not even begin metabolising fat tissue for about forty minutes.

Your upper body needs attention too, so it is not wise to waste all your energy on your bottom half.

Theres not actually that much going into his lower half there. Unless he's sprinting those runs, theres not too much going on aside the cardio.

The Gym tests depend on stamina but lots of upper body strength. If you become too thin from running long distances too often your upper body may suffer. 3 - 4 timer per week is more than enough for PRMC. Running them in a decent time makes more sense, target times are:

3 miles <= 21mins
4 miles <= 28mins
5 miles <= 35mins
6 miles <= 42mins

I just like to remind people of the risk of injury, I have been running all year but my knee injury really dented my confidence and I don't want any others to suffer the same. If you can get up to running the 6 milers in 42mins or less your endurance will be amazing.

For six miles it will, what about becoming accustomed to longer runs? If you can run longer distances and have the endurance for it the cardiac load during speed marches will be more tolerable.

I have not run a 6 miler for 3 months now because of my injury but will be attempting some in the next 2 weeks or so.
Sorry to seem like I'm picking you apart there matey, but your making assertions that are dependent on some subjective stuff.

The risk of injury is important a thing to be aware of, but in the peak of my training I got up to putting in eight to ten miles five times a week before I started feeling rough for it. Even then all I did was slow my pace a bit and I felt fine again soon after AND I am already carrying injuries - so it can be done.

Just need to know your own limits.
SP

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Rompton wrote:I only run 4 miles a go and out of experementation tried a 8 mile run which i completed in 61.17 mins. i think this is a good time (was on flat with only slight inclines) so this proves that not everyone need to concentrate on longer runs. i also think long un hard runs are unproductive.
Your right, but then I did not say anyone need concentrate on long runs.

Cardiac endurance is certainly influenced by the base level of fitness, so even a racing snake will have some cardiac endurace disproportionate (for want of a better word) to the sort of training they are doing.

Point is, if you really want to improve your cardiac endurace, you've got to get out and get it used to operating at varying levels of intensity for prolonged periods of time.

To be frank, the notion that long hard runs are unproductive is a bit of a bone one. Do you think long distance runners (cardiac & muscular endurance) stick to running four miles a time?
SP

Rompton

Post by Rompton »

you got me wrong mate, i mean runs that are long and not hard (i said it as un hard run) of course running 10 miles with 6 min mileing is going to have great benafits more so than running at 4 miles i belive.

but i personally am going to stick to 4 miles to pass PRMC and for the start of recruit training just to play safe, due to a previous knee injury i think this is best. not to say im not training hard because i run till i cant run anymore.
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

I don't really know what to say to those replies spooky, I have given cautious advice and you have basically said it is all wrong with your arguments. Spooky says it is okay to run 6 times per week, I agree with the CTC training team and think it is a silly idea to run 6 times per week just for PRMC but take whatever advice you will and if you get injured you know who you should listen to in the future.

I can see how you are at logger heads with most of the people on this forum Spooky. People give cautious advice based on fact and you basically put question marks over all of it. I bet Bennie is now worse off now than when you put your reply. It is not productive.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
Bennie

Post by Bennie »

No wedge im sticking to the three times per week, it's whats working for me, and im sticking to that. I beleive what you and rompton say is right, about the need to pass PRMC and stay injury free, i also beleive spooky has valid points if you want to become a marothon runner, but i don't. Running three times per week made you pass PRMC and it's certainly getting me fitter, and it works for romp and so i will continue on my three days per week schedule with three-four mile runs.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

TheWedge wrote:I don't really know what to say to those replies spooky, I have given cautious advice and you have basically said it is all wrong with your arguments. Spooky says it is okay to run 6 times per week, I agree with the CTC training team and think it is a silly idea to run 6 times per week just for PRMC but take whatever advice you will and if you get injured you know who you should listen to in the future.

I can see how you are at logger heads with most of the people on this forum Spooky. People give cautious advice based on fact and you basically put question marks over all of it. I bet Bennie is now worse off now than when you put your reply. It is not productive.
Well why don't you go and reread my reply where I say its all relative to the person, their own abilities and how it feels for them?

Like where did I precisely say anything said was wrong? If you go back and read it PROPERLY you will see saying its dependent on the person and there current level of fitness.

I would suggest to you that the reason people are at loggerheads with what I say, is because they dont read properly whats put to them, like where I said this:
I wrote:Just need to know your own limits
You do training, you feel rough for it so you slow down. If you feel ok you can push a bit further. What works for some does not work for others. Like I say EVERY time a post like this comes up.

Do I have to spoon feed you what Ive got to say because you only take on board the bits you do not agree with?

If your not gonna read what I say properly, dont make a tit out of your self rebuking it.
SP

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Bennie wrote:No wedge im sticking to the three times per week, it's whats working for me, and im sticking to that. I beleive what you and rompton say is right, about the need to pass PRMC and stay injury free, i also beleive spooky has valid points if you want to become a marothon runner, but i don't. Running three times per week made you pass PRMC and it's certainly getting me fitter, and it works for romp and so i will continue on my three days per week schedule with three-four mile runs.
Yeah, you make good points. But do you not think it prudent to take sensible steps toward the DAILY beastings your gonna get in RT?

Your bodies are going to be thrown into some intense training on a daily basis that will in no way compare to your own workout routines.

Step up your training. If you cannot cope with it step it down again. You could be capable of so much more than your doing but you wont ever realise it because you choose the overcautious route.

But hey, whatever. If you want to choose to not even TRY, good luck in RT.
SP

mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Spooky wrote:
Bennie wrote:No wedge im sticking to the three times per week, it's whats working for me, and im sticking to that. I beleive what you and rompton say is right, about the need to pass PRMC and stay injury free, i also beleive spooky has valid points if you want to become a marothon runner, but i don't. Running three times per week made you pass PRMC and it's certainly getting me fitter, and it works for romp and so i will continue on my three days per week schedule with three-four mile runs.
Yeah, you make good points. But do you not think it prudent to take sensible steps toward the DAILY beastings your gonna get in RT?

Your bodies are going to be thrown into some intense training on a daily basis that will in no way compare to your own workout routines.

Step up your training. If you cannot cope with it step it down again. You could be capable of so much more than your doing but you wont ever realise it because you choose the overcautious route.

But hey, whatever. If you want to choose to not even TRY, good luck in RT.
Spooky.. we're meant to be helping here. Take a down a notch mate!

:lol: :lol:
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

mfat_man wrote: Spooky.. we're meant to be helping here. Take a down a notch mate!

:lol: :lol:
I am trying to help, and all I face is crap like what TheWedge has to say and people following the advice of people who have nothing like the experience and knowledge I do.

My advice (when read properly, TheWedge) is perfectly sound and makes no assertions not taking into account an individuals current abilities, yet these guys would prefer to listen to each other.

Why do we bother then some of them don't even read it properly, or are not even prepared to try other things?
SP

GIB

Post by GIB »

neglecting peoples ego's and arguments i will give what advice i can. please dont take this as gods word...
i only train 2-3 times a week and i found prmc easy and maxed out on all scores.. i think.
i think that the idea of rest is much more important then what most people think. also it might be a good idea getting used to being beasted alot but what you may have forgot to consider is that peoples bodys are actuly breaking down in rt due to no rest.
keeping a good range of diffrent exercises (i.e long distance, sprints, circuts, push outs ect.) is most important. personaly i never run less then 6 miles except for warm for sprints as i think it is not long enough
the best type of fitnest needed is base cv work. this will keep you going and allow you to not get aa tierd as quickly. upper body is also a necesity due to the tests.
i would recomened time spent on all over fitness work as this is what royals are looking for and will allow you to do diffrent task with little ease. (also good for assult course)
though i am no exspert all this infomation is what i have gathered from sites and personal exspreince. just do what you feel you need to do to get fit and dont worry about what others do!! some people take what they do and feel it is the only way...
Train hard and worry more about how to get changed in 5 mins when you get there :P
GIB
Mind over matter
They don't mind, and we don't matter