Share This Page:

Diet and nutrition for hard training for PRMC

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
euro_andrew

Diet and nutrition for hard training for PRMC

Post by euro_andrew »

Hey guys just wonder what is the best diet for hard fitness training for PRMC.

Eg. 1. How many calories to eat a day,

2. how much calcium and other vitamins and minerals a day which can help with endurance, muscle feeding, increasing vital organ efficiency etc.

3. How much fruit and what types are best for feeding the body during really hard work loads.

4. How to get big energy gains etc for fitness training and the time at PRMC.

4. Also how much rest needed for muscle and organ development
_chris

Post by _chris »

Before I start I'm no nutritionist nor am I pretending to be.

Its difficult for anyone to say, without knowing more about you, your lifestyle, training routine etc. how many calories you need to eat. To work this out you need to know your BMR (the minimum calories you need - to keep alive) and then add on how many calories your burning up in you exercise. The site http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ns421/BMR.html is very good for guiding you through this, it has tables (all be it hard to read) showing you how many calories your excercise burns plus a link to a BMR calculator. The calculator is pretty accurate but if possible you should try at get to one of the machines that work out your body fat percentage, BMR etc. your local gym may have one.

I can't advice on vitamins and minerals etc. I try to get two glasses of fruit juice a day plus at least 4 other portions of fruit and veg, i like to vary these though staples include bannanas, strawberrys, and nuts.

For energy you should be looking to regularly fuel up with carbohydrates throughout your training, and making sure to get sufficient fat and protein aswell.

You should in an ideal world while training be looking for a minimum of 7 hours sleep preferably 8 hours + to max your muscles recovery and growth and keep testosterone levels high (needed for fast muscle growth). But in the real world just as much sleep as poss.
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

Hey there,

Yeah I just did the BMR my amount of calories came out as 2490 calories for my body weight and height etc. age= 20 height= 171cm's weight= 75kg's

In my workouts my pedometer says i use about 300-400 calories per work out. (2.7miles run/hard walk) + the calories I use in my circuits.

I used to eat alot of chocolate, I have a major sweet tooth. should I steer clear of these? where should I get my fats and calories from?

Also when you say you need high levels of testosterone for muscle building does that mean you should not have sex often? lol

My girlfreind would not be too happy with that.

Cheers for the info.

- Andy
_chris

Post by _chris »

Its believed that activities that make you feel masculine increase the amount of testosterone produced. This includes sex, so keep your girlfriend happy.

While many people will advice you different things personally I always believe that everything is fine in moderation. After a hard training sesion chocolate will be quite benificial for giving you the rush of calories needed.

For your amounts of fat look for things such as nuts that are high in 'good' fats. Calories should be gained from as much of a range of food as possible, look especially for low G.I. foods that will keep you going throughout the day, but like I say sometimes you do need low G.I. just to boost you up. Most importantly try to spread your eating out as much as possible throughout the day.

After a long session it is believed due to recent studies (sorry can't find link) that drinking a glass of milk within half hour finishing will speed your muscles recovery. Also caffeine is benificial for aiding muscle recovery.

Just guessing on the amount of calories burnt on your circuits but I'm guessing then that your calorie intake should be 3200+ a day. If you want to bulk up a bit and gain muscle mass eat an excess and obviously to lose weight eat less calories. Training for the marines I would never recomend eating less, always er on the high side (+100 etc.) but check that you aren't gaining weight as fat - remembering muscle weighs more than fat so you are likely to increase in weight.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

euro_andrew wrote:
Also when you say you need high levels of testosterone for muscle building does that mean you should not have sex often? lol
Send her down Bristol and I'll keep her happy for you, only if she passes muster though. :P

In short though who cares. Are you going to stop doing it just to crack out a few extra press ups!?

Also, if you train hard just eat loads of food as long as you eat enough of the good stuff and not too much of the bad stuff you cannot go wrong.
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

_chris wrote: Just guessing on the amount of calories burnt on your circuits but I'm guessing then that your calorie intake should be 3200+ a day. If you want to bulk up a bit and gain muscle mass eat an excess and obviously to lose weight eat less calories. Training for the marines I would never recomend eating less, always er on the high side (+100 etc.) but check that you aren't gaining weight as fat - remembering muscle weighs more than fat so you are likely to increase in weight.
I am currently burning about 500-1000+ calories a day at the gym alone.
that includes 3x big bikerides, 2 or 3 runs on treadmill, 1x rowing machine for 10 mins, ab/lowerback/shoulder and leg work on machines (im steering clear of the muscle bulking machines to keep lean and fast for PRMC), a 20 min swim doing laps and then the steam room.

Am I over doing my cardeo work? or is this a good workout for speed and power?

Cheers dude

- Andy
euro_andrew

Post by euro_andrew »

Thanks heeps mate!

Sorry but I have 2 more questions :oops:

lol umm

1. how often should I have whey protein a day

2. can I goto the gym 2 times a day. once in the morning and once at nice without overdoing it?

- Andy
_chris

Post by _chris »

euro_andrew wrote:Thanks heeps mate!

lol umm

2. can I goto the gym 2 times a day. once in the morning and once at nice without overdoing it?

- Andy
AJ seems to know more about this sort of topic so look for his reply but my advice would be stick to one gym session a day, your muscles need time to recover, as more recovery is done during sleep you need to have a nights sleep between workouts.

My belief of protein use has always been a couple of times a day?
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

_chris wrote:
euro_andrew wrote:Thanks heeps mate!

lol umm

- Andy
AJ seems to know more about this sort of topic so look for his reply but my advice would be stick to one gym session a day, your muscles need time to recover, as more recovery is done during sleep you need to have a nights sleep between workouts.

My belief of protein use has always been a couple of times a day?
Chris

You're partly right. It all depends on the person generally once a day is fine some people can manage 2, you should always listen to what your body says because it will soon tell you if you are over-doing it :wink:
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

It's all in the sticky ladz. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Stan

Re: Diet and nutrition for hard training for PRMC

Post by Stan »

Nutritious diet and natural protein diet are more effective for the hard fitness training.
Eat fresh fruits, raw vegetables, and raw protein foods i.e eggs, fish, chicken, milk, yogurt, cheese, and nuts etc. to get better diet for the hard fitness training.