Share This Page:

The devastating Shin Splints....

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
AussieNick

The devastating Shin Splints....

Post by AussieNick »

rite lads, dilema! and i know i should 'search' but this is different....i dnt have pains in me shins just yet, but when i start to run a few mins in i get this 'fatigue' feeling up the front of both me shin muscle area's, the bone dnt hurt or anything coz it goes away after i walk it off for a few mins...any idea what it is and what can be done to get rid of it? prmc in under 5 weeks so not the best time for this s..t!
Only through hard work are real men made

PJFT: 10.09
PRMC: 24th October

PB 3miler: 20.49
PB 6miler: 44min
PB Pushups: 40 :(
PB sit-ups: 85 in 2min
PB Pull-ups: 9
PB Bleep test: 14.4
Spence

Post by Spence »

Go to see a doctor, and if they only say rest and take ibuprofen ask to be referred to a physio; if there is any underlying problem you need to know about it now.

Spence
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

If it is the muscles/stuff at the top of shins near the outside then could be runners knee type stuff, I have this. If you go to the quack then try to get anti inflammatory prescription just in case then go straight to a private physio, only costs £20-£30 and will be much better than the quacks diagnosis.

I had shin splints at the beginning of this year, they went, now I have runners knee, great!
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
AussieNick

Post by AussieNick »

Ok just bin to the doc's and aparently its not 'shin splints' its 'anterior compartment syndrome' basically the muscle on the outside front of the shin is swollen coz of overuse...gd news basically...meaning there'll be no lasting affects as long as i rest up...and it dnt affect other exercises like cycling/rowing!

If anyone else is feeling the same thing though get it sorted and get advice because if left it CAN get severe enough for you to have surgery and be 'out for a long time' quote by the gp.
Only through hard work are real men made

PJFT: 10.09
PRMC: 24th October

PB 3miler: 20.49
PB 6miler: 44min
PB Pushups: 40 :(
PB sit-ups: 85 in 2min
PB Pull-ups: 9
PB Bleep test: 14.4
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Ahh, you beat me to it! I was going to say that it sounds like you had what i had! Good old 'Compartment Syndrome'... Yeah..feels great doesn't it.. NO!!!! :evil:

Yeah mate, get that sorted, forget the painkillers ok because that happened with me first of all, the doc's were only treating the symptoms - not the cause! Get it sorted mate otherwise you'll end up having to have an operation like me! :-?

All the best to you.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
15-RMC

Post by 15-RMC »

Cant run? swim

does wonders, i find it easire swimming 32X25 lengths flat out and more beneficial for rugby. Obviously running is needed, but to keep up the fitness i strongly suggest swimming.

e.g front crawl with or without legs
or backstroke, butterfly,
Find out about the Royal Marines Commandos 17th October 2001
Begin training- December 2005
Apply- 2009
Medical-2009
PJFT-2009
PRMC-2009
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Yeah that had occured to me but i have to wait until me legs are properly healed on the outside so they dont get infected or anything.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."