Share This Page:

Realistic training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
AJtothemax

Realistic training

Post by AJtothemax »

8) Alright lads, im new on here and i was hoping to get an answer to an idea that i've had for my officer training.... :o

Do you think it would be a wise idea for me to purchase an ammunition vest from my local army/navy store and put some sand in each of them so i can get used to running with weight again?

Obviously i wil build it up gradually, before i got injured i was running with sand on my back. By the way, anyone on here had 'Compartment Syndrome' in their legs?? :evil: Pain in the arse! (not literally!!!)

I had my surgery to correct it in late August and i cant start my proper training until after the new year now, i know how to train so im going to build myself up gradually otherwise i'll be asking for injury again!

Just wondering if you could provide me with an answer to my question?

(If i can't be an officer, i'm going in as a recruit!!)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
MrC

Re: Realistic training

Post by MrC »

No.

Don't run with weight...RM will build you up to that stage, it's not recommended until you're already progressing through military training..even at the start of training you wont be running with any weight/kit while they build up the required muscle groups and raise the weight slowly. Doing it before you're ready can be dangerous.
AJtothemax wrote: Obviously i wil build it up gradually, before i got injured i was running with sand on my back.
Sounds like thats how you injured your back in the first place, wouldn't wanna risk it again and potentially end your career before it starts.
pablo

Post by pablo »

Even if running with weight wasn't the cause of your previous injury, I wouldn't risk anything that could prove to be dodgy.

As MrC said, they'll build you up to that standard gradually and if anything does happen there they'll sort it. Probably best to just get sprinting on those hills.

Rich
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Alright thanks guys. Oh by the way, it wasn't my back that i injurerd :P , i developed 'Compartment Syndrome' in my legs from over training and had to wait 8 months for an operation to correct it! :x but its all fixed now and hopefully i wont develop it again!

Thanks for the advice again. Mind how you go.
AJ

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Hi AJtothemax.

I just looked up CS on eMedicine - mate that is some serious sh!t. You must be glad that that chapter is now closed?

I didn't go into too much depth but if I am correct in saying CS is usually caused by an original injury, say a long bone fracture or something?

The reason I ask this is because yesterday I was told by a consultant physician that I have a stress fracture in my left femoral neck. This has been brought on by overuse, this diagnostic is the culmination of around a 8 week period of uncertainty.

I was training for a RMR selection weekend at the end of next month, this has now gone out of the window and will have a look at cracking it at some stage next year when I have fully recovered.

The main point of this post I guess is to ask about your training post recovery period, and in particular how to strengthen the lower limbs to prevent an occurrence of a similar injury. You see I managed to fracture my hip by running and I wasn't even in boots or carrying any loads, I am lucky this time and this is something I will have to think hard about in the future.

I would be interested in hearing about the training that you have been doing to get back to original fitness and also if anyone else has anything to say on 'building up the required muscle groups' and conditioning the legs to handle additional weight that would be magic.

All the best
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Arrr mate :-? i hated it, it put me out of rugby and training for 8 months! And yes i am glad its all sorted now (thank god!). I had my operation to correct it in late August so im only just begining my recovery! Because of this i wasn't able to get fit enough for the Royal Marines and try as an officer, although if i cannot be an officer i'll still join up as a recruit. No i didn't get it from another injury, but you are correcting in saying that i got it from over use, so yes it was caused (in my case) from over training!

Seriously mate, i was training 5days a week which included me running to the gym, training and running home (monday - wednesday - friday) training and playing rugby (tuesday - thursday - matches on saturdays, then after that id be out on the town with my team - sunday: maybe gym or some boxing work) During the summer when the season had finished and it wasn't time for pre-season training which starts at the end of June (the rugby season finishes in April) i would do boxing training on tues & thurs, as well as keeping up my gym work! I have been doing this for two years now! Do you see what i mean by 'over training' ??

It had even got so bad that the pressure from the blood build up was pushing into the skin and fasier (i think thats how you spell it) and causing like 'bumps' of blood to come out of my leg because the pressure was building up so much. It was as if i was tensing the entire time.

If you have ever done a super-set during weight training, for example on your biceps, the feeling of the blood rushing back through after you have finished is characterised by a warm rushing feeling going back into your arms - thats the blood rushing back through into the arms because of the 'pump' your biceps have gotten - that feels amazing 8)

But - when concerned with 'Compartment Syndrome'.... :o ITS ANNOYING AND IT FEELS LIKE YOUR SHINS (i say shins because i had it in both legs) ARE MADE OF WOOD! Thats how bad i got it. I couldnt even walk without getting the pain which felt like my shins were going to explode from the pressure. It aches and its just not worth it.

After my op, it took me about 3 weeks before i could walk properly again and it was annoying! If anyone is developing something like this then my advice to them would be: DON'T LEAVE IT! DO NOT PUSH THROUGH THE PAIN AND CARRY ON! IT ONLY MAKES IT WORSE! Of course in my case, thats what i stupidly did. Get it seen to! Go to your GP and tell him or her about what you're planning to do and how you train, it is important that they know exactly what you do to help prevent mis-diagnosis. Doctors seem to be getting pretty good at that these days! :evil:

About my training.... I cannot even begin to jog for 2months now otherwise i would be asking for injury and i just don't want to go down that road again because it was hard for me to see myself slip behind and loose alot of what i had worked for. Seriously though Beowulf, take my word for it, and get your legs fixed! It might be frustrating for you as it was for me but it has to be done to get the best possible result for you.

So, when i go back into training, because my fitness has crashed in comparison to what it used to be, im going to slowly get back into jogging and swimming, just to help strenghern the legs again and get them used to movement. I would suggest swimming as there is no gravity in water and less chance of injury i hope (although always check what is suitable for you to do!) Another important tip: never rush back into it, its just not worth it, as i have said above - you'll be asking for injury again!

When i get back on my feet and start building up to training i will definately post it up here, it will also give others the chance to learn or even perhaps add to what i have put and teach me, im sure there are lots on here who can.
AJ

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Useful post mate and sorry to hear about the troubles you've had. It sounds in part similar to my experience but without the nasty symptoms, inability to walk, operation ect, I guess the main difference being that you sound like you have always been into fitness and looking after yourself. Unfortunately as you say it was just too much.

Me I went from zero training to training like a mentalist and have also paid the price. I too can't run for two months, on the plus side the fracture is a compression fracture on the underside of the femoral neck. This is the best one to get (odd thing to say) as both tension and displacement fractures both require metal fixing. So it's no impact training for me and I see the consultant in Dec to assess progress and hopefully then can build it up slowly like yourself.

Cheers for the tips, it's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out for us both and you're right this is the place for advice going forward.

All the very best and good luck with the rehab
Spence

Post by Spence »

Hey AJtothemax, looks like you and me had the same problems, like you I developed compartment syndrome (in both legs!) and that was because i would train twice a day, everyday. Even though I understood the concept of rest, and would always advocate it to other people, I never followed my own advice. I thought that more was better, and that if that was the case then beasting myself twice a day everyday was the best.

Without going into more detail about everything that went on and going back to your original question, like others have said I would leave it to be fair. I know what you have come back from and would hate for you to slip back to that place. Like you said, take it easy, see how things go and Royal will get you up to the stage where you can carry the weight.

Take care
Spence
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Thanks alot guys, appreciate it. Beowulf, glad to hear you're going to make a full recovery, just take it easy and don't do anything too straining and you'll be fine mate. In answer to your previous statement, yes i have always been into looking after myself, i don't find it a drag i find it a hobbie! I agree with what you're saying, it would be good to see how things plan out, hopefully the best for all of us!

Spence!! :-? Its a real b****** ain't it!! Watching yourself slip so far behind after all you've achieved, but im still a firm believer in that 'everything happens for a reason' so we'll just have to see how things plan out! Sorry to hear that you had that too, and yeah despite the better side of you thinking 'you need to rest' the other side takes over doesn't it! My mind was saying 'what do you think is going to happen when you join up? Don't give in because you're tired, keep going! If you gave up in a real situation you'd die!' That was basically how i looked at it because the career would reflect that.

It's wierd how that mentality comes across but im definately going to say that its something that has to be developed, you choose to have it or not to, i think its a simple as that, but not everyone is the same so it cant be entirely true?

I know the corps will test this to the limit and i'll finally get the chance to see what i'm really made of, hopefully you both will too. Thanks again. Take care guys.

Wicked.
AJ