Share This Page:

Boxing bag workout

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
daz89

Boxing bag workout

Post by daz89 »

Awright lads, just back from a run. Finally starting to see improvements :D
1.5 miles in roughly 8/9 minutes. I've been training my ass of recently so its good to finally get a good time on a run. Just shows if you put the effort in you'll get something back.

Anyway, I'll get to my question. Does anybody know a good circuit you can do involving a boxing bag?

I've been on Rossboxing.com and came up with this:

Boxing Bag Workout

3 minute skill emphasis
100 later thigh trainer
30 second punch out drill
15 press ups
30 sit-ups
20 knees to chest
15 squats

small rest

3 minute skill emphasis
100 later thigh trainer
15 press ups
30 sit-ups
20 knees to chest
15 squats

small rest

3 minute skill emphasis
100 later thigh trainer
15 press ups
20 burpees
30 sit-ups
25 star jumps

What do you's think? Any suggestions?

I haven’t tried this yet, I’m cycling down to my sisters tomorrow to use the boxing bag so I'll see how it goes. She has one of those lateral thigh trainers so I go on that just to mix things up.
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

I have a punch bag and am going to use it more for PRMC fitness. Whats "100 later thigh trainer" and "30 second punch out drill". What do you do with skill emphasis?
daz89

Post by daz89 »

the lateral thigh trainer> http://www.connection-fitness.co.uk/thigh.html

a punch out drill is when you basically hit the bag as hard and as fast as you can for 30 seconds.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym24.htm
(watch the video :wink: )

And skill emphasis is just basically 3 minutes of boxing.

Im going to try it out today, it looks like a good workout though. I'll post here how good it is.
tomharto30

Post by tomharto30 »

Lads, fair enough if you can afford all this equipment, because im sure it makes training a lot less boring, but remember you can't beat a good long run out in the fresh air to get your fitness up and thats exactly what you will be doing at CTC.
We are what we do
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Just tried this circuit today lads, its a bit hard but I guess thats what you want. I finished it off with a sprinting session and a cycle back home.

Aye I agree with you there tomharto30, but my sisters got it at her house so I cycle down and use it on Tuesdays and Thursdays just to mix my routine up a little. I run Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays but I heard somewhere that you shouldnt run every day to avoid shin splints?
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

"All this gear" is only a punch bag at a cost of about £15. It's a good alternative to running because it gets you fit and builds useful strength. Theres nothing like running no, but that doesn't mean theres no point to it.
Tugg

Post by Tugg »

Exactly, as they say variety is the spice of life, if you just want to run, run and run some more do so but its bloody boring.
Training for the military then you cant go wrong if you dig out on running, swimming, pull ups, sit ups and press ups. Perfect.
But if you wanna be creative go for it, it beats doing the same old circuit every day and so on.
Concentrate on the main things, and throw some other bits and bats in there for a bit of a change, more fun!
TUGG
fro83

Post by fro83 »

Found this little routine

* 4 x 3-minute rounds – Skill emphasis
* 4 x 30-second punch-out drills(Fast as you can)
* Finish with 1 x 3-minute round

Can up the minutes if I required, nice workout
Application- 13/03/06
Written Test - Passed
Interview - 25/04/06- Passed
Medical - June 27th - Passed
PJFT - 27 july - 10:19
PRMC - 3rd October FAIL next one in 6months
batess01

Post by batess01 »

my outlook on punchbag vs running is;

I find running boring so i can get fit doing boxing and at the same time learn valuable skills for life.

Obviously closer to PRMC/POC you will HAVE to do a lot of running training. Although you could get away with not doing much, as long as you are a fit bloke.
Wee Jock

Post by Wee Jock »

Boxing and running complement each other very well... when training at uni, we are encouraged to do at least two 3-6 mile runs a week plus a few sprint sessions.

I know that Cambridge Uni boxing team run 7 times a week prior to their Varsity Match.
craigshuts

Post by craigshuts »

Boxing is A good workout yes but i personally would never replace it for a run or Circuit training. Yeah boxing Is definately worth doing! I would just do it one evening prior a rest day, if your not already knackered from the days workout. 8)
God is a marine, he failed airborne selection.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

If you get really bored running you could balance an egg on a spoon. It will take your mind off the running.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

craigshuts wrote:Boxing is A good workout yes but i personally would never replace it for a run or Circuit training. Yeah boxing Is definately worth doing! I would just do it one evening prior a rest day, if your not already knackered from the days workout. 8)
I've had to stop boxing training until I pass PRMC, the reason being I find that the added impact on my legs sort of send them over the edge what with all the running already, and I get a bit of shin splints.

Another thing is that the coaches don't seem to understand that I don't want to mince around with conditioning drills when I have been training that day and ride my bike 6 miles to get there, I just want to use the bags and then do some sparring.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

it's not like you can run all day every day, I personally go to a boxing club 5 days a week (or try to, work is getting in the way a bit).

Which is a 2.5-3 mile run with sprints as a warmup followed by 6 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag / shadow boxing or 2 rounds sparring and then a circuit consisting of:

squats
crunches
oblique crunches
leg raises
pressups
situps
tuck jumps
bench press (light weight high rep) at an angle
tricep curls + dips
bicep curls
leg raises
powering yourself up a set of stairs with weights in your hands (fooking kills me)

all of the weights are light and each exercise is done for a certain time rather than certain number, only the fittest of the boxers manage to keep going for the whole thing.

you're basically breathing out of your arse for the whole duration, i've found my running ability increased tenfold after a couple of weeks of it. obviously it isn't as intense some days (tuesday and thursday usually), monday and friday you get punished.

saying that there was a lad in the other day who had to get taken away in an ambulance cos he passed out 3 times, his eyes were all over the place.

with work there isn't much room to do any other exercises, I pedal to and from work for that little extra bit but it's not exactly intense or helping much.