Share This Page:

Amongst the Marines: The Untold Story by Steven Preece

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
rgj-rifleman

Amongst the Marines: The Untold Story by Steven Preece

Post by rgj-rifleman »

If you want an insight to casual and social life of a Marine, then you had better dig your nose into this book. Its a mans story of life after the 32 weeks of Commando training who struggles to get accepted by his fellow Marines once he passes out into 45 Commando, and finds life to be a very different game in the forces. He gives an in depth description of the inititation process that he and his fellow marines faced by the hardend more experianced Marines. He goes from a bad childhood to an exciting adult life. He goes from nice to nasty. He gets into fights, shags birds, and drinks heavy, but trains hard among his fellow marines. He gets accepted and feared amoung his ranks.

If you are seriously thinking of joining the Marines i feel this book is definetly worth reading as it gives an insight into the life you may posess. Take into account though that this book is based on 15 years ago occurances, and for the most part, the forces do not accept many acts that the author of the book encounters during his time in the Royal Marines.

This book is a must buy for any potential marine!

RGJ-Rifleman
Joined the Corps as a recruit in 2007, Still in today :D
frostie593

Post by frostie593 »

i think most people have already heard about the book, the fact that steven preece comes and posts on the hundreds of threads about it already might back that point up
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

I've had this book for about a month now haven't started reading it yet but I suppose I'll start today seeing as everyone says how great it is.
HarryAVFC

Post by HarryAVFC »

Mate this has been covered in depth on the Military Forums site and the Once a Marine Always a Marine site. If you do a search I think theres ten odd pages on the book.

Do you know that Steven Precce, the author of the book, also posts on this site?

P.S Yeah I agree it is a mega read. 8)
Last edited by HarryAVFC on Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

Very good read, can vouch for that.

I did post in another recent thread that I have just finished it and will send it out to whoever wants to read it next. Please let me know if you're insterested.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

SERIOUSLY, Preece actually posts on this site, ah brillient!!! Would be great to talk to him :D
Ste Preece

My Story

Post by Ste Preece »

Guys,
when i wrote my first book, I knew that controversey and denial would follow. I explained this in the sequal. I certainly put up with a lot of crap, mainly from people who never served with me or knew me.

However, I turned opinion around and virtually proved my story from start to finish.

If you really want to read the whole argument, please take time to read these threads.

The militaryforums commenst didn't matter to me. It was the marines forum comments that did. Those who went against me, didn't want to remember this side of the story from those years. However, unless you're blind you can see through all the denial.

In the end, it was TRUTH and PERSEVERANCE that shone through.

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/ind ... 1123087300

Also read the other, more lengthy. Its 10 pages long. Use the pages, field in the bottom left hand corner to flip pages:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/ind ... 1094557494

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/ind ... 1133080156

This one's a good read:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/ind ... 1128526357

Read Yashin's comments here:

http://civviestreet.proboards19.com/ind ... 416&page=2

You may find this article interesting to conclude:

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk ... 14137.html

Happy Reading

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Ah cheers steve,

No i believe you, my dad told me that all that happens and that none of his friends or family believed him. He said that most if not all infantry units did all of that caper. I definetly believe you mate. He said turd sandwiches and piss pints and fights were a common occurance, and that their initiation in the raf regiment was to either jump out of the second story window in the blocks or be thrown out in your sleep. An most of the officers did this to you, not just NCO's.

Thanks for posting steve, appreciate that mate :D

By the way you had me in fits of laughter over that sheep incedence, and the pissing on that girls face when you were asleep. Classic :lol:

RGJ-Rifleman
harry73

Post by harry73 »

By the way you had me in fits of laughter over that sheep incedence, and the pissing on that girls face when you were asleep. Classic
mmmmm might buy it myself now
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

Honestly Harry, not only is a good insight to marine life but is so funny at the same time. Steve is a great author, and has some really funny and exciting times in his time throughout the marines, but hell i dont need to tell you that, get the book its great. Im waiting to buy the sequal at the moment.
mitch_boxing

re

Post by mitch_boxing »

Well, all I need to look at to believe Steven Preece is the 3 incidents in the past 6 months in the marines, and all that happened in Deepcut Barracks. Bullying in the forces obviously does happen, if it didnt there wouldnt be so many reports on it. It also happens in civvy st though, so many people get bullied at school.

Mitch
rgj-rifleman

Post by rgj-rifleman »

as i said before in several other posts, it happens everywhere, in pubs, on the street, in schools, in the household and in the military. You dont get an article everyday, on a child who has been abused by his/her drunk father, or a simple bullying session down your local pub. But, for one reason or the other, the tabloids love getting there nose involed in that stuff, and take great delight in it at the same time!!!

It happens, get over it people!!

RGJ-Rifleman
tom_06

Post by tom_06 »

Steve how much of this stuff was real,hardcore bullying and how much was just fun gotten out of hand?Like the baked beans incident recently and the roll mats incident?Its hard to tell from the outside what is just a laugh and what is bullying?
Recruit Training: 13th November
Ste Preece

Bullying

Post by Ste Preece »

The only real bullying I experienced was at the start of my career at 45 Commando. It didn't happen everywhere in the Corps but it was happening then at that unit. Quite evidently, I picked myself up and never tollerated it again. However, I ultimately became quite a handful and truthfully sometimes out of control. I was lucky to get away with a lot of the things I did get away with. However, that said, If I didn't write about them then they would never have come into focus.

Some of the best years of my life were in the marines and indeed set me up to be the person I am today.

I have no regrets. There's good and bad times in life for everyone. Looking back these years on, during the time of my service, I would not have changed jobs with anyone.

Here's an email I received recently. I'm quite pleased with it:

Steve,
Just a short story for you. I went to a house warming over the weekend and got talking to a guy there who was telling me he had just came off exercise in Norway with the marines. I told him how my previous boss had been in the Marines and wrote a book on his experiences, straight away he replied "Amongst the Marines???". Turns out that pretty much everyone in his barracks had a copy and said it was a fantastic read although his girlfriend has now started wondering what he is getting up to!

Anyway he wanted me to pass on the message that the book was a fantastic read for himself and his mates. Small world eh?!

Regards
Paul

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
In_Training

Post by In_Training »

Yeh ive also read Steve's "Amongst The Marines" and i am expecting "Always A Marine" to drop through my letter box any day now!!

Thought the first one was a great read, ive read other books written by people (mainly on their experiences of certain wars - the Gulf etc), but this was the only book ive read which actually goes into the 'behind the scenes' stuff.

To be honest i was shocked at some of the stories (eating shit sarnies etc) lol, even though it was the guys own 'party trick'.

I have every confidence that it was 100% true and whilst i am sure that activities of this type (initiation / just generally larking about) still is in many ways 'common place' in the corp (i know because a mate of mine currently serving has told me so), due to modern day social climates and the ever more PC world that we live in i doubt whether they are as extreme as days gone by, however this is purely and my arguably ill-eductaed and therefore totally unfounded opinion - as i am yet to even apply and therefore cannot with any credibility speculate on the things marines get up to!

Basically steve, great book im looking forward to reading your second - as im sure your looking forward to receiving a chunk of my hard earned! lol. Only joking i know you didnt do either for the money.

Just wondering though, did you do a lot of trainign before hand or was it the 32 weeks that really did it for you?