Share This Page:

Sorry, had to get this off my chest

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

I can sort of see where youre coming from but you also have to look at it from there side. For some people its unlikely if they do any physical exercise in a month. For people like us that strive for the challenge and train hard....3 miles is nothing. But for people like them going out there and running for CHARITY not for their own cause is a big acheivement for them.
chris5818

Post by chris5818 »

I see where you coming from 3 miles doesn't sound a lot and in fact it isn't to someone who trains, but believe me a large majority of people in this country would struggle to jog one mile! let alone 3!!, before i started training i used to think 1 mile was nothing until i actually tried it, don't even think i actually did it?? :lol:, to think he actually did it in 45 mins suggests to me he must have put a lot of effort and hard work in!

One day soon i hope i can do a 15 minute mile.

Give him credit though if it was for charity, fair play to him

You should have run next to him for the laugh and got some tips :lol:
PJFT: June o6 - 9.07
PRMC: Passed December 07
RT: February 08
TheWedge

Re: Sorry, had to get this off my chest

Post by TheWedge »

foxtrotgolf wrote:I hate my crappy farking job. There is someone at the office who went around asking for sponsorship to do a 3 mile run for charity last week.
"Phew, a whole 3 miles?" says I,
"How long does that normally take you?"
"well, last year I did it in 43 minutes" :o
I declined to give them any coin whatsoever.
I am on your side here, only because I know that 3 miles in 43 mins is only slightly quicker than walking, if a human is barely breaking walking speed for charity then I really think they could put some more effort in. I went to my Uni sports centre today and saw an advert for a sponsored charity walk for cancer relief, check out the details:

13 mile walk around the Norwich inner ring road (you don't have to finish the circuit)
Women only
£25 entrance fee
Starting off at midnight

Why the hell have they made it a walk and not a shorter run?. You don't have to finish the circuit, so why even start it? Just give the charity the cash and forget the silly walk. Why go at midnight! Dangeorus hazard to traffiic, even though they will be on the pavements. I am sure any policemen would say it is not safe for women to be wandering around the ring roads of a major city in the early hours, especially with kerb crawlers and the like.

I have no idea what idiot thought of this kind of event, it is beyond belief and is by far the most stupid charity event I have ever heard of, it requires no effort at all and just poses a public safety risk, big up cancer research but not these idiots.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
In_Training

Post by In_Training »

I see where you coming from 3 miles doesn't sound a lot and in fact it isn't to someone who trains, but believe me a large majority of people in this country would struggle to jog one mile! let alone 3!!, before i started training i used to think 1 mile was nothing until i actually tried it, don't even think i actually did it??
True - My first proper jog / run, whatever you want to call it (not on a treadmill) was 1.8 mile and it totally killed me!!

I think its great that people do this kind of thing, it does annoy me though when people do pitiful attempts at things that may as well not be there. For example i dont know what charity it is for but this summer there is a run / walk event that is a mile long. The principle of it is again commendable but the entire purpose of sponsoring somebody to do something (besides being a sharing caring kinda person) is because the event they are undertaking is a challenge, in the good old days when you sponsored somebody you didnt pay up front, if they didnt complete the task they didnt get paid (probly why things are being dumbed down a bit - to ensure plenty 'o' coin)

Anyway basically:

Nice work for running the 3 mile to whoever did it

It aint a marathon but is by no means as easy as falling on your arse

Could have been a chance for you to have an extra training sesh and raise money and look like a machine in the office the next day!

My fingers hurt now so im going to stop typing!
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Wedge have you tried a 13 mile walk as fast as you can. Last monday i did a 22 mile walk for charity and thought it was going to be a peace off pish. You had to do it as fast as you can but youre not aloud to run.

It was a killer..... i was dying to start running and the hill we had to climb was huge. By mile 13 i was in agony because of the rubbing, impact on the legs of trying to walk fast and also had huge blisters. Me and My mate managed to do it in 5 miles but it was solid.

Dont blast people if you havent done it your self.
frostie593

Post by frostie593 »

i dont mean this to sound like bragging . this summer me and 4 other guys are cycling from Derby to Cornwall for charity, gonna be tough but it is a good excuse to make myself train and go out running more.
Clarky2213

Post by Clarky2213 »

each to there own mate !

im sure paula radcliffe thinks you train like a mug !

good man not giving any money for charity, how honourable of you !!!
xcj

Post by xcj »

I'm not in training at the minute, but could do 3 miles quicker than 45 with no difficulty whatsoever.

It's a tad on the slow side to say the least.

get them out drinking a bit more, when you're drunk somewhere and alone on your way home at the end of the night, you always seem to run - or is that just me? It's a feeling of, fcuk it I wanna be home in the quickest time possible, so i'll break into a jog (and the jog just gets quicker and quicker). Best bit is because you're drunk you turn into forrest gump and keep running and running. It's only when you get home you realise your heart is near breaking your ribs.
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

xcj wrote:I'm not in training at the minute, but could do 3 miles quicker than 45 with no difficulty whatsoever.

It's a tad on the slow side to say the least.

get them out drinking a bit more, when you're drunk somewhere and alone on your way home at the end of the night, you always seem to run - or is that just me? It's a feeling of, fcuk it I wanna be home in the quickest time possible, so i'll break into a jog (and the jog just gets quicker and quicker). Best bit is because you're drunk you turn into forrest gump and keep running and running. It's only when you get home you realise your heart is near breaking your ribs.
You know what, i'm the same. On the way back from the pub i feel like running and quickly realise i'm more stable at speed than i am attempting to walk in a straight line.

Thought i was the only one...

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

yea, i agree with you foxtrot, i see people all around me that get praised for doing their 3 mile runs in 45 minutes, i can honestly say, ive travelled further and in less time when im on drunken trips home. I have a fat neighbor that runs 5k in just over 40 minutes and he is just an annoyance because he brags about his progress, and hes saying that we should encourage him to lose the weight, that he has gained. how did he gain that weight? sitting on his fat ass, i have no sympathy for those that refrain from at least getting up and getting out. i can see how foxtrot is frustrated with crap like that.
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...
frostie593

Post by frostie593 »

xcj, i always break into a jog when pissed up on the way home or coming back from a party, i just get bored alone and when drunk you just run for ages and dont feel anything, you can also punch stuff really hard without feeling any pain aswell except the next day you have skinned and bleeding knuckles.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

What you have to remember people, is that not everybody pays the same amount of attention to or places the same amount of importance on thier fitness as we do on here. For many people they most likely couldn,t care how quiclky they can run 3 miles, in the same respect that we couldn,t care how quickly or correctly we could compile a report on the effectiveness of human resources management within any given company(if such a thing exists). What i am saying is that each individual strives to attain certain things that are important to them, and that differs from person to person.It does not mean that you should make any form of judement or dis-credit that person because their achievements are measured in different forms to yours....EACH TO THIER OWN.

I,m sure their are many things you and i could not do that say, for example, an IT technician could regarding computers, regardless of wether he was fat and could barely walk 3 miles.

Im very proud of what it is i hope to achieve, and will be the happiest dwarf in the world when i hopefully achieve the Green Lid, but just remember other people see the same fulfilment in other goals, even if they may seem pants to us.

dwarfy,
Hankins

Post by Hankins »

i agree with you dwarfy except the fact still remains, you shuold have some standard of fitness, not everyone is capable of being in excellent shape, but no one said they shouldn't be sitting on their arse and doing nothing.
40 Cmdo
Never Ever give up
Taking life one step at a time...