Share This Page:

Royal Marines Interview

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Green Machine

Royal Marines Interview

Post by Green Machine »

I was told that in the interview you would be asked questions about the Royal Marines history & badge etc. I was wondering if the people who have already done the interview would take a look at what I am revising and tell me if I have missed anything out or if there's anything that isn't needed. Thanks for your time.

Regards
Green Machine

Royal Marines History

The Birth Of The Corps - 28th October 1664

The Capture of Gibraltar - 1704

The Seven Years' War 1756 - 1763

The Glorious First Of June 1794

The Capture Of Canton 1841

The Siege Of Sevastopol 1854

The Boer War 1899 - 1902

The First World War 1914 - 1918

The Second World War 1939 -1945

The Falklands 1982

The Badge Of The Royal Marines

The Lion & Crown denotes a 'Royal' regiment. George III conferred this honour in 1802 'in consideration of the very meritorious services of the Marines in the late war'.

'The Globe' encircled by laurels. George IV chose this symbol to represent the Marines' successes in every quarter of the world. The laurels are believed to honour the gallantry they displayed during the capture of Belle Isle in 1761.

Gibraltar
The capture and defence of Gibraltar in 1704 was considered by George IV to be one of the most glorious achievements of the Royal Marines, and that it should therefore appear as part of their emblem and represent the numerous honours they had earned.

The Fouled Anchor, incorporated into the emblem in 1747, is the badge of the Lord High Admiral and indicates that the corps is part of the Royal Navy.

Per Mare Per Terram, ' By Sea by Land', is the motto of the Royal Marines. It is believed to have been used first in 1775.

Royal Marines Awarded The Victoria Cross

Ten Royal Marines have been awarded the Victoria Cross.

Corporal John Prettyjohn RM
2nd November 1854 - Crimea

Bombardier Thomas Wilkinson RMA
5th June 1855 - Crimea

Lieutenant George Dare Dowell RMA
13th July 1855 - Viborg, Baltic Sea

Captain Lewis Stratford Tollemache
Halliday RMLI 24th June 1900 - Peking Legations - Boxwe Rebellion

Lance Corporal Walter Richard Parker
RMLI 1st May 1915 - Portsmouth Battalion - Gallipoli

Major Francis John William Harvey
RMLI 31st May 1916 - HMS Lion - Battle Of Jutland

Major Frederick William Lumsden
DSO, RMA April 1917 - Western Front

Captain Edward Banford DSO RMLI
23rd April 1918 - 4th Battalion RMLI - Zeebrugge

Sergeant Norman Augustus Finich RMA
23rd April 1918 - RMA Detachemnt - Zeebrugge

Corporal Thomas Peck Hunter RM
3rd Of April 1945 - 43 (RM) Commando - Lake Comacchio

The Commando Units

3 Commando Brigade - Green & Dark Blue

40 Commando (Norton Manor Camp, Taunton) - Light Blue & Dark Blue
42 Commando (Bickleigh Barracks, Plymouth) - White & Dark Blue
45 Commando (Royal Marines Condor, Arbroath) - Red & Dark Blue

29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery

20 Commando Air Defence Battery Royal Artillery

Commando Logistic Regiment Royal Marines

59 Independent Commando Squadron Royal Engineers

539 Assault Squadron Royal Marines

Medium Armoured Reconnaissance

HQ Commando Helicopter Force

Elements of Special Forces

UK Landing Force Command Support Group

Royal Marines Weapons

The Minimi Light Machine Gun
The Light Support Weapon (LSW)
The New Long Range Large Calibre Rifle
The L96A1 Sniper Rifle
The General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG)
0.5 Browning Heavy Machine Gun
Milan
The 81mm Mortar
The .5 Barrett
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

Hello mate.

I'd suggest you revise the phases of training together with the exercises carried out in those phases.

Also the SQ's - General duties, Driver, Clerk, Chef, SBS, Heavy weapons anti-tank, Heavy weapons mortar etc.

These are the things that spring to mind but basically revise everything in the CP7 Royal Marines Commando booklet and you'll be fine.

Just remember the training's 32 weeks, not 30. The book hasn't been updated yet.

Regards,
Greg.
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.
Prm

Post by Prm »

You might want to try and get some examples of Royal Marine Commando operations during World War 2, as that is when the Commando side was born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marines#World_War_II

^^ Wiki has some information, but most of it is rather simplistic, so just Google it. :D
fro83

Post by fro83 »

My interview at the AFCO wasnt all that dificult. He asked questions on my family and relationships with them. Then onto hobbies and interests school and grades/jobs, what makes you want to join the marines. Also asked a bit about my current training routine ect. He didnt ask alot of questions on the history even though I learnt the badge. He asked me to name the Commando Units, questions about holidays and current pay level.
Thats all I can remember but I guess each interview is different I found it really straight forward. Just be yourself and you'll get through it. Hope this helps.
Application- 13/03/06
Written Test - Passed
Interview - 25/04/06- Passed
Medical - June 27th - Passed
PJFT - 27 july - 10:19
PRMC - 3rd October FAIL next one in 6months
mancuniankid

Post by mancuniankid »

At my interview i only got asked what are the 3 commando units and where are they based. What the gun they use. Describe the badge and where do the Royal Marines train?

Seriously that was it, piss easy. :)
PB's

1.5-8.43
3miler-18.41
Bleep Test -Lv 13
Press ups-64
Sit ups-84
Pull Ups-16
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

Interview was fairly easy, recommend you learn about the events that take place during prmc, where the commando units are located, and about training (how many phases, what they are and how long each is, a few of the exercises you will take part in, and the commando tests). Even if you dont get them all, as long as you have shown to the interviewer that you have done research on the RM you should do fine.
AdamMc

Post by AdamMc »

Learn about the new equipment.

BOWMAN, VIKING, HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark.

One Major actually described BOWMAN as digitised radio and asked me what it was. Working in IT I know how the system actually works and drew a complete blank (don't think too hard). I looked like a right idiot.

How many people are in the RM? How many are officers? Where is Bulwark at the moment? How long before you can apply for a commision? How is the Duke of Edinburgh involved with the Marines?

Remember its a job interview. Where do you want to be in 10 years time?
"A Nation that draws too broad a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Anon
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

As for the Weapons and Victoria Cross do I need to learn them all or just a few. Its great to say that I need all the information above but when you have to remember it all its not so great. What I am trying to find out is what parts I need and what I don't so I can cover my self on everything e.g. if people have been asked to name everyone that has a Victoria cross in the royal marines then I'll learn them all but if not then I'd like to know how many as a maximum I should learn so that I can spend the rest of the time learning the other information. This is just one example, I am trying to do this for everything so I can have a revision sheet instead of trying to remember everything and possibly ending up not remember much because of it. Its like when you take notes in school, they don't tell you to learn the hole book but to take notes of the main things and learn them. Thank you for your time.

Regards
Green Machine
cruicent

Post by cruicent »

You wont be asked about all of the things you can learn. Just 5-10 mins or so of marine questions to show the recruiter that you have done your homework. Most likely you wont be asked to name all the VC's, just 2 or 3 names. Did your afco give you a photocopied sheet with some fitness info and questions on the last pages? Theres a post on here somewhere which answers most of the questions on the sheet.
EDIT: try these:
http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12571
http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6489
Felias

Post by Felias »

5-10 minutes. On mine I was asked a few brief basic questions. Took like a minute for them. It depends on who you get!!
THinking about leaving already!
cruicent

Post by cruicent »

Yeah well it would have been the same for me if all the answers didnt slip :roll:
"erm, yeah, er....that thingy :oops: "
speedfreak

Post by speedfreak »

What are a few SQ/TQ's
Where are the cdo units based
name two VC's
The commando tests

and a final random one like what happened in 1704.

This is what i was asked last week.

good luck.