Share This Page:

Completed PRMC Training Handout

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
In_Training

Completed PRMC Training Handout

Post by In_Training »

Hi guys,

Only recently decidied that i would like to have a career in the marines. Ive been training over the last 4 months (ish). Still a very lonnng way to go though (i was really, really unfit!). Ive been doing running every night (2.8 miles) my fastest time for which is now 19.15, doing some weights in the gym, and press ups / sit ups at home. Any comments on my training so far would be a great help. Im 6ft 3 and 190 pounds, just finding it hard to shed the body weight (fat), and build upper body strength.

I was just wondering whether after completing your PRMC the marines give you a training guide to stick to unitl your 32 weeks begin?? If they do then i was wondering if one of you guys that have already completed the PRMC could post it up.

Thanks very much

P.s. I know this is a bit of an essay for my first post, but thanks for taking the time to read it!
Oz

keep it up

Post by Oz »

G'day mate

I haven't yet completed PRMC or even my medical for that matter but have been keeping to a program for about 4 months now and although some times doing those morning runs or a new circuit that i have added ('THE BEAST') is a pain i just nuckle through and keeping thinking about what can be achieved and by the sounds of it you are trying which when put in the context of the RM means hell of alot...

sorry what were we talking about? :evil:

keep it up

OWEN
PJFT- 15/5/2006-9:00min
PRMC-18/7/2006-PASS
RT- 2/10/2006
Felias

Post by Felias »

Running every night could place you more viable to injury! I found that at the very least you should have 1 rest day between runs, or if you up the distance that will help, under 20 minutes is a very good time for 3 miles. But the PRMC 3 miler is measured exactly 3 miles. Now, my PB time for it is 17.59, but when on PRMC the distance might seem a little longer :) purly because the 3 miles I was running was slightly less. But my PB time came after measuring it by bike. But consistent speed of a little over 19 minutes, well, that is fast. I would recommend trying 5 miles in under 35 minutes which is what is required :) . Well done training.
THinking about leaving already!
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

alright mate ive got a regime that the afco gave me to do between passing prmc and starting RT. I'll post it up tomorrow as im not at home at the moment. Can you put up your scores for press ups, sit ups and pull ups and then can look at what you need to train on. Also do sprints and interval running as it is great for prmc.

Felias wrote:
I would recommend trying 5 miles in under 35 minutes which is what is required .
Where is that required as you dont do it on prmc.
In_Training

Post by In_Training »

Alright lads,

Thanks for all of the responses.

NUFC - I dont actually have constant results in terms of press ups and sit ups because i will have a good day and then a bad day (where i can bearly do any!). But i would say that on a good day, in the 2 mins allowed i could probably do about 40 press ups and 50 - 60 sit ups. Dont take the piss guys, im jus sayin it how it is, remember ive only jus started - espeicially with upper body and like i said "there is still a lonng way to go!"

It would be a massive help if you could post up that regime that the AFCO gave you.

Thanks very much, Keep at it guys.
Felias

Post by Felias »

It's basically getting you to a stage where you can comfotably perform above the required standard. Which is better than doing the minimum. :wink:
THinking about leaving already!
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

When you pass PRMC you get this nice little booklet called 'Are you ready to join the royal marine commando's?'

It has guidence on footcare, boots and fitness etc.

The body weight circuit it gives is...

1st set:- 15 press-ups, 20 knees to chest,20 squats, 5 pull ups, 20 crunchies, 15 box jumps, 15 tricep dips 20 half sits and 10 lunges (each leg)

2nd set:- 20 press-ups, 25 knees to chest,20 squats, 5 pull ups, 25 crunchies, 25 box jumps, 20 tricep dips 25 half sits and 15 lunges (each leg)

3rd set:- Same as first

I sort of modified this to suit my ability, press-ups have doubled on each set, i do 10 pull-ups on the 2nd set and i have replaced box jumps by hanging knees to chest from my pull-up bar doing sets of 20 on 1st and 3rd and 30 on the 2nd. I find this gives me a real good workout.
Nick
mancuniankid

Post by mancuniankid »

In_Training wrote:Alright lads,

Thanks for all of the responses.

NUFC - I dont actually have constant results in terms of press ups and sit ups because i will have a good day and then a bad day (where i can bearly do any!). But i would say that on a good day, in the 2 mins allowed i could probably do about 40 press ups and 50 - 60 sit ups. Dont take the piss guys, im jus sayin it how it is, remember ive only jus started - espeicially with upper body and like i said "there is still a lonng way to go!"

It would be a massive help if you could post up that regime that the AFCO gave you.

Thanks very much, Keep at it guys.
We don't take the piss here mate, were all here to help each other. And them scores aint bad anyway :)
PB's

1.5-8.43
3miler-18.41
Bleep Test -Lv 13
Press ups-64
Sit ups-84
Pull Ups-16
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

All we do is take the piss! :lol:

No reason to take it with you though 'In_Training'. Doing well, keep it up mate. Same height and weight as me (192lbs) but I feel I`m fairly skinny and have a BF of 9%.

Just keep plugging away, summer is here and its great to get out and run in it.

All the best.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

How do you work out body fat? I'm 6'2 (might be 6'3 now) and exactly 12 stone.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

i got mine tested using special scales, you have to take your socks off and just stand on them as normal...these can be found at most gyms i would imagine, but if you want to know your BMI (body mass index) you could do a google search to find a health and fitness site that can calculate your BMI by using your height and weight
In_Training

Post by In_Training »

Alright lads,

Thanks again for all the feedback. My BMI is 24 (towards to top end of 'Normal'). I know that BMI is a pretty poor indicator as it doesnt take into account muscle mass etc etc. I think i just need to tone and 'firm' up more than anything else, although it would be nice if i could lose a bit more weight, jus gotta make sure its fat and not muscle (need all of what i got of that! lol).

Just gotta keep at it and remember 'Rome wasn't built in a day' and all that chat.

Thanks for the posting of the AFCO training regime, im gona try and work it in, should be a big help.
Deadhead

Post by Deadhead »

Two ways really. Either you can use an electronic method (there's quite a few of those, ranging from fancy scales in boots through to handheld devices that look like the controller from an N64). Essentially these work by passing a very very small current from one handle to another, via your body. Fat and muscle have differing resistances, and so the % of fat can be estimated based on weight, height, sex and the data from the current. I'm afraid I don't know anything much more complex than that.

The other method is to use calipers and directly measure the 'pinchable' fat on your arms and stomach. Presumably so many pinchable inches equates to a body fat of such and such a %.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

i was at college last year and was told if you weigh yourself under water the fat on your body wont register on the scales, this is because fat is lighter than water and even though the fat is on your body whilst under water gravity wont be pulling the fat down towards the scales....or some nonsense like that :wink:
mancuniankid

Post by mancuniankid »

Chappy wrote:All we do is take the piss! :lol:
I know shhhh :wink:
PB's

1.5-8.43
3miler-18.41
Bleep Test -Lv 13
Press ups-64
Sit ups-84
Pull Ups-16