Share This Page:

Officer Qualities.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Sonne

Officer Qualities.

Post by Sonne »

A question has been knawing at me for a while. What qualities should a good officer hold.

Let me expand slightly; apart from a better general standard of education what qualities would you expect from your leaders?

I have alwasy felt myself to be a natural leader and in my life thus far i have always acted as such. However i started to think about why people follow my lead and i realised that although i delegate responsibilities fairly and according to the individuals strenghts most people respect the fact that i will never set a task that i am not prepared to do myself no matter how menial. I'm also well-spoken but i speak in short, sharp bursts that get to the point very quickly. (not so much when typing on forums) Aren't these the hallmarks of a good NCO?

I've alwasy been of the opinion that just becasue you can do something there isn't neccesarily an obligation to proceed. So another question is why do people become officers, apart from he usual (but reasonable) answer of i-want-to-be-a-leader-of-men-and-serve-my-country-sir. What are the motivating factors for potential officers here and serving officers. (likewise for the non-commissioned members)

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

As a Royal Marines officer, you should:

• be a resilient, resourceful leader, able to inspire and motivate your troops
• be self-disciplined, confident and determined
• be able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the men in your command
• think and react quickly
• accept responsibility and make decisions
• be able to communicate with people at all levels
• be physically very fit with a good level of stamina
• be prepared to operate in dangerous combat situations.

and take and use advice from SNCO's and dont be a plank and be up yourself. Then you might be ok.
Nick
letsrole

Re: Officer Qualities.

Post by letsrole »

Sonne wrote: i-want-to-be-a-leader-of-men-and-serve-my-country-sir

See youve read Nigel Fosters book, that one quote stuck in my head a lot!

Sonne
In the interivew you will be expected to give a few examples of what a good leader should have and when you have had an experience doing it yourself. Here I think they are really looking for things like courage, initative and empathy rather than inteligence (which I dont think I can spell) and other such 'common' traits.

But you should still hold the ones that nicksox mentioned.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

As Nickosx says to accept responsibility and make decisions strikes a particular note with me.

Firstly, there are my reasons for wanting to be in the Corps, they have probably been stated previously so I won't delve into them.

My motivations for becoming an officer are that I am not happy to take a back seat while the decisions are being made, I would much rather be the one calling the shots (open to suggestions of course). I feel my general effective intellect and good judgement puts me in a position where I have the potential to do just that and hopefully the Navy will feel the same way when they start dishing out the commissions.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I don't know unless I try. In anycase if I don't get a commission though I'll sure as hell give the ranks a shot, as to lead you must first learn to follow, and we'll see what happens from there
beardo

Post by beardo »

Wow, a proper ossifers thread this isnt it :o

When they asked me why I wanted to join as a grav, I just said ''Dont really know to be honest'' :lol:
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

LOL.....i'v got to ask, did you get the job?

i'm quessing not?????
beardo

Post by beardo »

read my location 8)
the_trainee

Post by the_trainee »

U NEED TO HAVE BEEN BORN WITH A SILVER SPOON IN UR GRID, AND USUALLY BE A POWER FREAK

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The above was written by a retard!!
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

Howardbliss wrote:I heard they look favourably on moustaches. The AIB award points for style, and uniqueness. Check out these beauties:

This is good...

This is better...

This is misguided. An example of what not to do

What about this?

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

I've got some good tache pictures if I can just post them properly. :-?[/img]
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

themattmeister wrote:I've got some good tache pictures if I can just post them properly. :-?
Struggling with Technology?

Definatley the makings of an Officer. :D
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Damn my computer illiteracy! I had some pictures of the world moustache championship 2006. :D
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sl ... count_Slim

Now there is a switched on man.

Great example Sticky.

I myself have a bit of a strange motivation to join the corps. I have very few fears but deep water and heights are two of them. When i decided a military career was right for me i sought out to conquer these and the life of a Royal Marines Commando seemed to be a good way to confront these head on. I wont go into detail about my childhood but by the time i was 15 i was pathetic and scared of my shadow, i've tacked all of those issues except these last two. The way i see it, i either try and succeed or fail either way i'll experience my dark night of the soul and find out who i really am.

That was way too deep for this time of the night... i really shoudl sleep more.

Sonne