Share This Page:

RM Aviation

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Sonne

RM Aviation

Post by Sonne »

Settle in for another one...

Right, so we've had the questions about the medical route; now i'm determined to become an officer after completing my degree it's time to address my other great love, flying.

My question is what type of aircraft can a RM aviator expect to pilot? Are the courses geared only to helicopters such as Lynx, Gazelle and Sea King or are pilots able to train to fly fixed wing aircraft? I'm well aware i'd start my career as a GD rifleman and i wouldn't have it anyway but i'm thinking about when i'm a little older and my knees tire from yomping. Nigel Foster's book has provided a lot of good information however it is a few years old so i'm wondering how things have changed in this area.

I must admit, a fair few times over the last few years i have been tempted to the senior service with the prospect of flying the F-35. But i don't feel life in the FAA would provide me with enough opportunity to challenge myself and to find out how far i can really go.

aaaaaand breathe....

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

If you were to eventually become a pilot you would have to choose between rotary wings or fixed wings. Are you applying for officer or you going up through the ranks then getting an in service commision. Either way id concentrate on getting in first. But i know where you coming from with thinking to the future.
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

I'm applying for as an officer. I like meticulous plans. But at this stage just starting my degree things can change dramaticly. By having as much info as i can (without annoying the hell out of you all of course) i could save myself a lot of grief if i find that my personality is suited more to another branch (or even a different service).

But i doubt that this would happen. But preparation and a high state of readiness are my hallmarks. And regardless of changes in career path i'll be aiming for POC standard fitness.

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
simmo

fixed wing

Post by simmo »

definately worry about getting through training, but on a recent poc i was informed that a few ( and a very few) officers have ended up flying fast jets (harriers) who were from the RM, thats not official though.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Sonne

I may be well out of date but I think the routine now is Rotary only.
I know a couple of blokes who were pilots in the RM. You could PM them to get more info. However they tend to stay over on Military Forums so PM from there. Expect a delay mind as both of them only make the odd visit to the site.

Rotary Bootie

Murphy

Both were Sgt Pilots by the way. Although Rotars took his SD commision later.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

I did think, that to qualify on helicopters, you had to qualify on fixed wing first. I do know that "Rotary Booty" and that other guy Rob. P. had to. The system may have changed but I do think the old system seemed sensible. At least you had to know the principles of flight, which, when all is said and done, the helicopter seems to ignore!!
I'm sure that "Rotary" will come back and correct me if I am wrong!!
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

All military helicopter pilots of all services learn to fly fixed wing first. Its a basic requirement. Gazelles have now left service (winter 05/06) so its Lynx and Sea King only at the moment. By the time you get there though there will be the Merlin. There are at present 3 RM Harrier pilots. All serve in the squadrons that have now moved to the the Joint Harrier Force flying GR9's . The Sea Harrier has finished also.

I have a lot of contact with the rotary side of life and one thing has always struck me - much as I hate to admitt it:

Naval pilots fly like bus drivers
RAF pilots fly like Micheal Schumaker

Anyway, if you want to fly Harriers why join the Corps?
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

Stix thanks for the info,

FLying is an interest but soldiering is a passion. Ok i admit that sounds a little childish and fantasylike but i doubt i'd be happy in one of the other services purely as a pilot.

Sonne
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

was interested in flying myself, but damned eyesight got in the way of that little cushty number didnt it :lol:
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

stix@ctc,
I hate to disagree but the following comment is nothing like what I encountered in my service.
Naval pilots fly like bus drivers
RAF pilots fly like Micheal Schumaker
When I was in Malaya/Borneo back in the 60's, the Navy helicopter pilots would fly anywhere - even below the tree line. The RAF pilots wouldn't.
We always trusted the Navy guys to get us out of trouble, we were never quite sure about the RAF!!
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Excuse me, but
but the RN pilots are the dogs?
[/b]

That is a very inflammatory statement.
I think that the RN pilots are the best! Ever!!!
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Howard,
I'm glad you qualified that. !! It must be the modern language that is getting to me!
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Um, I know this thread is a bit old now, but it just made me wonder about something - I was under the impression RM Officer Aircrew only flew with the 4 squadrons within the CHF? It's not really important, just curious thats all.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Sorry Dickie,
but you will have to clarify what the hell CHF means!!
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

Commando Helicopter Force Sneaky.

Regards,
Greg.
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.