Share This Page:

Circuit Training: The Beast

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
james_m

Circuit Training: The Beast

Post by james_m »

I think this may have been posted ages ago but I thought I would type it up again. I found this circuit in the book "The Royal Marines Circuit Training" by Robin Eggar and Dieter Loraine.

It is called "The Beast" and I have been doing it now 3-4 times a week for the past 3 weeks. It certainly lives upto its name as it tires every muscle in your body and if you can do it in the target time then you will be hanging out.

The Beast
What you need is two sheets of paper (sheet A and sheet B) with exercises written on them (these are listed below). Find an open area and place sheet A on a bench if you can find one. Jog for 10 seconds in a straight line and place sheet B here.
The reps per exercise are as follows: 12, 10, 12.
Start at sheet A and do 12 of the first exercise (listed below) then jog to sheet B and do 12 of the second exercise. Keep doing this until you have done all the exercises at 12 reps. Now do it all again but doing 10 reps. Then do it again doing 12 reps again.

The exercises:
Sheet A:
Pressups, Tuck Jumps, Situps with Twist, Dips, Burpees, Dorsal Raises.

Sheet B:
Half Sits, Clap Pressups, Squat Thrusts, Crunchies, close arm pressups, star jumps.

You do the circuit 3 time through doing 12, 10 and finally 12 reps per exercise. There is NO REST periods at all.

The target time for all 3 circuits is 12mins 30secs.

I hope I have explained it clearly but if not or if you have any questions then feel free to ask.

As I said I have been doing the curcuit quite a bit recently and have found huge benefits. I was stuck on a maximum of 38 pressups for ages and last night did a 1.5mile sprint in 9.10 followed by 3 sets of 45 pressups with a minute rest between each set.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers
James
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

Sounds quite good that James. I use circuit training as a big part of my training, usually 3 times a week on days when i dont run.

My circuit

20x inclined press-ups (i.e feet higher than head)
30xinclined sit-ups
15x tricep dips
15xbicep curls
10xpull-ups
20xburpees

This is also done without any rest between exercises but at the end of each circuit i usually have 2-3 mins rest after each circuit and this is repeated 4-5 times
Nick
GGHT

Re: Circuit Training: The Beast

Post by GGHT »

james_m wrote:I think this may have been posted ages ago but I thought I would type it up again. I found this circuit in the book "The Royal Marines Circuit Training" by Robin Eggar and Dieter Loraine.

It is called "The Beast" and I have been doing it now 3-4 times a week for the past 3 weeks. It certainly lives upto its name as it tires every muscle in your body and if you can do it in the target time then you will be hanging out.
I did this once or twice, and it is tough. In particular those clap pressups are a real hangout from the second one on.
The accompanying book is well worth a look also.
There is a running version as well that would be handy for PRMC.
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

Nice post James.

I developed a good sit-up routine the other evening as follows:

Do as many sit-ups (to RM specification) as possible in two minutes followed by 50 straight leg raises (on back, legs stright horizontally, raise to vertical, back to horizontal) then 50 sit-ups then 50 leg raises.

No rest between the exercises.

Doing two minutes of sit-ups simulates the PRMC test and makes you work to your maximum. The leg raises work your lower abdomen and the upper quads.

Also started doing press-ups with a weighted bergen on my back (currently 20 kilos). I've only completed two sessions and have already noticed an improvement.

Regards,
Greg.
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

I do most of my abwork on an incline bench and as you can imagine makes the flat seem easy.
Also one of the few to get the medicine ball over the bench on Gym Test 2 and was given a chuck up for good techinique :D
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

Ref the incline bench, GGHT. I use one aswell, doing 50 incline sit-ups then 80 normal sit-ups then another 50 incline sit-ups. When doing the normal sit-ups you really feel a few stone lighter on the way up for the first 40 or so :lol:
Nick
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Yeh the difference is startling. Are you having any resting time between those sets? I keep mine either 45 or 30 secs.
I was doing well with the midsection with lower back hyperextensions as well but my gym got rid of the the machine!
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

Around 30 secs just to grab a swig of water and a breath!! Ive got incline bench at home so its quite helpful, also doing inclined bench press really works lower chest
Nick
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Cheers mate. I have had weeks off upperbody to be honest but have been doing plenty of swimming and was shocked at how little strength I've lost.

I do use weights but they are really light and for high reps (20+) im going to be really hitting the pullups over the next 4 weeks also as I've had a taster as to how much you use your biceps and it's a lot, in small repeated contractions.
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

Aye pull-ups really do work the biceps well when done properly basically ive stuck to same routine for the last 6 months results from when i started to now are pretty good.

PM me if you wanna talk on msn later
Nick
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Cheers mate, PM sent.

Regarding the book in question, it's written by two Royal PTI's and is worth at least having a read of as it gives a decent overview of the circuit systems used and the thinking behind them.
james_m

Post by james_m »

Might be a bit of fun for us all to do the circuit and post the time in which it takes us to complete it.

Just for fun and for interest of course, no competition needed :wink: :lol:

Cheers
James
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

james_m wrote:Might be a bit of fun for us all to do the circuit and post the time in which it takes us to complete it.

Just for fun of and for interest of course, no competition needed :wink: :lol:

Cheers
James
Oooh can of worms there James! We'll have people doing it in 5 minutes 22 seconds!

Nah, when I go circuit training at the local leisure, what I notice is the way people will use gash form on exercises to save themselves for the shuttles etc. You get out what you put in I suppose.
james_m

Post by james_m »

Yea you are probably right....no Felias you cannot do it in under 2 mins. :lol: :lol:
sj22

Post by sj22 »

Ususally when I'm focusing on running primarily, I tend to try and throw in one or two session of the "owen anderson' circuits.
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/circuit.htm

seems to mix things up a bit.