Share This Page:

training update: week 13 THE END

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dave_n

training update: week 13 THE END

Post by Dave_n »

Got to week 13 lads, and now im officially a civilian again.

I've PVR'd (opted out). I decided at about week 9 that i didnt want to be there at 17 years old. Feel like i need some life experiance, need to live a bit first. Planning on going back in at about 21/22.

sorry lads. 99.99% need not apply.

dave
james_m

Post by james_m »

Good effort Dave, don't be sorry.

At the end of the day you have to do what is right for you. It seems to me that as long as you do what your heart tells you, you can have no regrets.

I initially applied at 16 but decided early on that I needed some life experience first in the form of college for 3 years. Now I am 19 and am so glad I made that decidion. I feel alot more confident in myself and my abilities than I did then.

Got any plans yet mate?

Cheers
James
mitch_boxing

re

Post by mitch_boxing »

Sorry to hear about that Dave_n

Don't worry about it at all, as long as you gave it 100% with all your heart, you wont regret it and you'll learn a lot from it. What was it that made you go back to civvie street in the end? Is it the sleep deprivation or is it a mix of everything?

Thanks

mitch_boxing
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Hello mate,

Firstly congratulatuions on getting so far, for a 17 yo thats something...I have known a few people that have opted out for same reason...

Good luck in civvie street and let us know how you are getitng on and when u decide to go back in.!

What were highlights and lowlights?

Dan
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Hi mate im sorry to hear that, at least you want to have another crack in a few years. What were the hardest parts? Any ideas what your going to do in civy street for a while?
Best of luck mate

Dom
going commando 42

Post by going commando 42 »

well done mate for making it so far,
was there any people younger than you still at it?
what did you find the hardest?
thanks luke
rc

Post by rc »

Hi Dave.

Well done for making it so far, you should be proud of yourself.

I have just got back from CTC from our RMR phase one course, and one thing which amazed me was how young the majority of recruits seemed to me (I'm 26). I find it unbelievable how these youngsters manage to complete training at such a young age - it's a massive achievment.
I was looking to join when I was 18, before my girlfriend got pregnant and it's a good job I didn't, I think that I would have lasted days at the most.
Anyway good look for the future mate and if you do give it another crack in a few years, I'm sure you'll find training much more enjoyable - in time I bet you'll be itching to get back.

Rich.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Yeh that's come as a suprise Dave as judging by your past posts thought you were almost enjoying it.
benjordan81

Post by benjordan81 »

RC - can you tell us a bit more about your RMR course. I'm looking to join RMR Poole at the next intake.

Cheers,

Ben
Worthers Original

Post by Worthers Original »

Just looked back through your posts dave and you identified weeks 12/13 as being a low point for recruits ahead of you. It's tough to see beyond where you are at any given moment and I wonder, after a bit of reflection, if you won't be chomping at the bit to get back in and will wish you'd never left.

....or you could fall into a life you enjoy out of the RM and just look back on your time there as an interesting chapter. Whatever, get the most out of what you decide to do now and good luck.

:)
rc

Post by rc »

Hi Ben.

About the RMR phase 1 course -

Basically the main point of going down to Lympstone is to pass the exercise " baptists run " which if you don't already know is a test of all the basics skills you have been taught so far like - night navigation, performing a resection, target indication, fire control orders, cam and conceilment (including a stalk), observation, wet and dry ect.
However we managed to get out of wet and dry thankfully as apparently a few recruits from a regular troop went down with hypothermia due to freezing weather a couple of days earlier.
Before baptist run we had a re-run/practice a few days before the test.
during the first week we had a few sessions on the bottom field - which were absolutely ace in a strange sort of way, 2 BFT's, the battle swimming test and the endurance course aquaint - a real killer because we hadn't eaten since 5.30 that morning and hadn't had access to water for 1.5 hours before we started the course at about 2 o'clock - we finished on the top field at about 4 o'clock, where we got thrashed for about half an hour.
By the time we got to the top field the safety vehicle was full of people who dropped out - not due to fitness just lack of energy, I was so close to collapsing but everyone else felt the same. 5 people quit after/during the thrashing saying "it was not for them".
Week 2 consisted of mainly shooting at straight point ranges and an additional night nav ex for extra practice.
All in all though I had a fantastic holiday - it was great. Lympstone is an amazing place, I've been bored out of my head since I've got home and can't wait to go back.

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Rich.
benjordan81

Post by benjordan81 »

Many thanks for the info RC.

I've got to pass selection first in June - but all things being well I look forward to the training.

Any tips on training/passing the RMR PRMC?

Cheers,

Ben
rc

Post by rc »

Yeah good luck Ben.

Well I haven't got any specific advice about the PRC except expect it to be pretty much the same as a PRMC.

Theres one or two notable differences that i can think of -

RMR do a 3 mile run first 1.5 mile steady pace as a group, second 1.5 mile is a timed best effort.
Burpee's and a 5 by 60 metre shuttle sprint were tested on our selection.
Also the order of events is different to the PRMC,
Day 1 - we had a thrashing in the car park, then gym test 1(press ups,sit ups,pull ups, burpee's and sprinting.
Day 2 - 3 miler then bleep test.

Good luck though mate.

What's your phys like at the moment ? ie scores / times.

Rich.
dan--dan2006

Post by dan--dan2006 »

:o ive got my heart set on joining the rm but ive heard alot of storys about people changing there mind half way through the training, i hope to god i dont do this because i dont know what ill do if i dont get in (id ty again if a can) i need a beasting befor i go in to test my limits. :o
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n »

alright lads, sorry i have never replied to any of you.

I was supprised I left to, My Cpl said I was his number one pic for Section Commander. but its just how it is.

I'm going to college in september to do a BTEC in sport, then hopefully onto uni to do Sports Science.

good luck everyone whos joining.

And do i regret leaving after about a month as a civi?

NOT ONE BIT!

Dave