Share This Page:

Push up bars

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Greg123

Push up bars

Post by Greg123 »

Just a quick one,
When I can't make it to the gym, I have a few weights at home and do as good a work out as possible. A few weeks a go I bought some push up bars and used them without any problems.
However, A personal trainer has now said to me that they are not good for me. Saying that you dont need to go down that far and you only have to go as far as how you would bench press a bar.
Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this, do you use them? Do you think they're bad? Do you think they give your workout anything extra which you cant get without using them??

Incase your not sure what push up bars are...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... ipment.htm

Not really a 'quick one', but would like to hear peoples views
Thanks
Greg
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

I use them when i do weight circuits at home just to make them harder, but just do press-ups normally when im specifically practicing them.

Nick
Nick
Greg123

Post by Greg123 »

Thanks for your reply Nickosx, I shouldve also mentioned that Im not talking about using these to improve my 'Marine press ups' but just my general strength.
Thanks
Greg
Oz

use em

Post by Oz »

Mate,

When i was working as a dive instructor in Samoa last year we had 3 just retired royal marines come on the boat for a couple of dives so as you can imagine i quizzed them non stop and on the topic of improving your marine pushups they said that pushup bars help out of sight. I currently have been doing 4 sets of 15 on the bars and it feels like your floating when it comes to being on the 'ground'. But iam not sure about anyone else???....

Owen
Greg123

Post by Greg123 »

"and it feels like your floating when it comes to being on the 'ground'"

Thats what I felt mate, do you do all different types of push ups or just marine ones? I think Im just gonna use them, surely it cant do you any harm, and probably improves your grip aswell a?
Oz

floating like a seagull.. :s

Post by Oz »

Mate,

Yeah i try different types but the wider the pushup the less stable the lower part of the bar becomes and your likley to do your self some serious carnage..another good one is 3 point push ups and US seal body -builder pushups, mate they will have you proper £%%^$ by the end of 30.

Didn't mean to sound like a tosser about the floating thing but thats what i reckon it feels like, its a lot easier and also enables you to get your form right which is very important and was stressed by my AFCO.

Owen
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

the bars lift you, facilitating a deeper range of movement and putting more demand on the muscles as you get lower and try to flex back up.

if you wanna be hardcore about it; rattle them out until you are just about to fail, then hop off the bars and do normal pushups, then when your just about to fail the normal push up, go down onto your knees and do that until you do fail, but try to do one more.

tell me that does not hurt tomorrow!
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
hc00

Post by hc00 »

They can only help, they will also improve forearm strength better than regular pressups
However, A personal trainer has now said to me that they are not good for me. Saying that you dont need to go down that far and you only have to go as far as how you would bench press a bar.
Just because they're a personal trainer doesn't mean they know what they're on about. Sounds strange I know but I have had contact with successful bodybuilders, strength athletes and fitness fanatics and the one thing they all had to say was, disregard personal trainers advice. Get someone who knows what theyre doing to coach you.

And a properly performed benchpress you rest the bar on your lower chest for 1 second and then push up keeping your hips and shoulders on the bench.

Meanwhile a proper pressup your chest shouldn't touch the ground.
Wo zhu ni jian kang.
mark-b

Post by mark-b »

what are US seal body -builder pushups?