Share This Page:

Hello from a new member

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
intro2pete

Hello from a new member

Post by intro2pete »

Hello everyone! I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and been searching around for as much info as I can find about joining and life in the Royal Marines. Just thought I'd introduce myself before I get stuck into posting on here!

I'm 25, and currently waiting on a date for my POC, having just had my 2nd informal interview at the AFCO. Given my age I've got one shot and one shot only at passing, so I've got it all to play for! In a way I'm quite glad the pressure is on, it takes away that subcontious thought of 'doesn't matter if I fail, I can try again'.....just so long as I don't get injured of course!

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello and make myself known as another POC candidate, as there doesn't seem to be too many on here going for POC? If there are, can you say hello, so we can possibly build up a few contacts to exchange information with?

Cheers!

Pete
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Hello
sky Blue

Post by sky Blue »

Hi there.

Only really started with my training for having to wait till after uni. Few questions:

When did you begin with your training for the POC?

Have you read up on the marines much and all that it intails? If so can you recomend any books? I ask this as part of my training programme i have included times for reading up on skills and history of the RM. Skills such as leadership, teamwork and bio of leaders such as nelson and churchil.

Best of luck with the POC
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Hello mate, welcome to the forums. :)

Tons and tons of info here just remember the search button is your friend!
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Hello.

Seeing as you're waiting for your POC date you might be on the same one as me. I was recently given the date of 8th May. :D

Hello Sky Blue, a decent book that got me off on a good footing is "the making of a royal marine commando" or words to that effect. Have a look on Amazon.co.uk you'll find some good books that are cheaper than what you would find in the shops.
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

sky blue - Ive read a book called 'The Royal Marines. From Sea Soldiers to a Special Force' by Julian Thompson (Maj Gen ret., commanded 3 commando during the Falklands). A pretty thick history of the RM from the begining to 2000. Fairly boring in some parts and too much info to remember it all but an interesting read.
themattmeister - The Making of a Royal Marines Commando, by Nigel Foster?
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

themattmeister wrote:Hello.

Seeing as you're waiting for your POC date you might be on the same one as me. I was recently given the date of 8th May. :D

Hello Sky Blue, a decent book that got me off on a good footing is "the making of a royal marine commando" or words to that effect. Have a look on Amazon.co.uk you'll find some good books that are cheaper than what you would find in the shops.
Also there is

*** Royal Marine Circuit Training - Robin Eggar & Dieter Lorraine
Well worth buying for some basic information on how to get fit and incorporate some circuits into your weekly schedule and the chaps work out some routines for whatever sport you are interested in. The SBS challenge at the rear of the book is more or less essential to test yourself if you wish to aim for a UKSF unit in the future - remember that you need to monitor your work out and try and improve with each attempt. "Later this year I am joining the Royal Marine Commando's and this book helped me pass the PRMC" Quoted from review at Amazon.co.uk.

Its in the review section of this site under General articles hope your training goes well 8) MFAT
intro2pete

Post by intro2pete »

Cheers people!

I haven't read any books specifically about the marines myself, that was going to be one of my first questions! I'll look into the ones already recommended. The hardest thing with books is that so few are particularly 'recent' enough (or too subjective) to give a proper insight into modern marine life, so best source for this is to talk to serving marines. My careers officer arranged for a serving RM officer to be at my last interview, and that was superb, got some excellent insights and he gave me some advice he said he wished he'd been given. I'll do a fresh thread with what he told me, I made lots of notes!

As for training, I made the final decision to go for Marines around last October, and hit the gym hard then. I've not led the most active life over the last couple of years thanks to work, but I'd say I was halfway there already, having played rugby, taught karate etc since a young age, so I just need to break myself back in.

Have no idea when my POC is yet, was told it could be as early as March, which I'm praying it's not, and whatever date I get I'm going to beg to get it moved back as far as possible! My problem is my age....being 25 I've obviously got one shot to pass, and if I do they need to fit me into AIB as well before Sept, so it's all a bit tight! I'm happy with one attempt though to be honest, if I genuinely want it enough I'll train hard enough and push myself to a pass, fit or not. If I fail I'll just accept it wasn't to be. Doesn't work for everyone, but as long as I know I worked as hard as I could I'll be happy.

I'll get that info up as soon as I get a bit more time.

Cheers
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

intro2pete wrote:Cheers people!

I haven't read any books specifically about the marines myself, that was going to be one of my first questions! I'll look into the ones already recommended. The hardest thing with books is that so few are particularly 'recent' enough (or too subjective) to give a proper insight into modern marine life, so best source for this is to talk to serving marines. My careers officer arranged for a serving RM officer to be at my last interview, and that was superb, got some excellent insights and he gave me some advice he said he wished he'd been given. I'll do a fresh thread with what he told me, I made lots of notes!

As for training, I made the final decision to go for Marines around last October, and hit the gym hard then. I've not led the most active life over the last couple of years thanks to work, but I'd say I was halfway there already, having played rugby, taught karate etc since a young age, so I just need to break myself back in.

Have no idea when my POC is yet, was told it could be as early as March, which I'm praying it's not, and whatever date I get I'm going to beg to get it moved back as far as possible! My problem is my age....being 25 I've obviously got one shot to pass, and if I do they need to fit me into AIB as well before Sept, so it's all a bit tight! I'm happy with one attempt though to be honest, if I genuinely want it enough I'll train hard enough and push myself to a pass, fit or not. If I fail I'll just accept it wasn't to be. Doesn't work for everyone, but as long as I know I worked as hard as I could I'll be happy.

I'll get that info up as soon as I get a bit more time.

Cheers
About the age issue. I don't know if you saw the programme on a couple of years ago about RM training but it was very interesting. There was one older guy, struggelling a bit, mainly because he had been on an easy llife travelling etc with no pressure in his life... he did jack BUT there are many older people who join the mob and do well because a mature attitude.

You only have one life as far as we know, so go out and do it!! :)
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

As long as you get POC and AIB out the way before June it will be kooshdey, as the final selection board takes place in mid June! I've also read 'the making of a royal marine commando' it's good, one bit that made me laugh was when Nigel Foster said about when the YOs were in their defensive position, a tank rolled over the top and collpased their trenches burying them :lol:

What training are doing/finding useful at the moment intro2pete?
intro2pete

Post by intro2pete »

June? Bugger, I was hoping to delay c@#t then, oh well! Nothing like a bit of pressure to get you motivated!

As far as training goes, I spent my initial few weeks at the gym doing a spread of everything, running, rowing, swimming, cross trainer, free weights, machines, for the simple puspose of getting my body moving again properly. I think that really helped, bit of shock tactics to remind myself what I needed to do.

Since Xmas I've stripped my training down to absolute basics, on the advice of a couple of ex/serving marines. I am now running, simply building up distance and aiming for maximum stamina. I'm also working on push-ups using proper technique, sit-ups and pull-ups, that's it! I think for POC it is just imperitive to be able to withstand the punishment for as long as poss, and having huge endurance is the way to handle this. I'm not that concerned about building up speed to be honest, in case I get shin splints more than anything! Also, I believe if you can run 6 miles at a reasonable pace, then you can handle 3 miles at a fast pace, even if you've never actually run 3 miles at a fast pace. As long as there is someone to chase and a pace to keep up to then with excellent stamina you can use mental power to make yourself go faster.

In terms of building up things like push-up's etc, I've been told just to stick to doing set's, i.e. 3/4 sets of 30 instead of maxing out 1 set of 60. This way you end up doing a lot more than 60 pushups and helps build up the sets. If you can do 3 sets of 60 before POC then your def onto a winner! That's my aim with each excercise anyway. I think it's easy to get carried away looking for a variety of excercises and cheats to build up your basics like push-ups, but really it's best to just do the damn things on a daily basis and push yourself harder and watch the numbers grow! Likewise with running, just add a small amount each week and you won't even notice the extra effort!

I'm basically running and doing the push/sit/pull ups every day, and a light long swim/row on rest days.

Anyone found anything that has significantly helped your gains, or am I right in thinking you can't substitute hard work on the basics?

Cheers!

Pete
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Pete Ive got the other end of the stick to you mate lol, instead I have the attitude of, by me running a three mile run at a fast pace I should be able to handle a slow but longer six miler! Main reason for this is shin splints come and go. For stamina what I do is go to the gym then do my run. If I were I would get some sprints in I hear they do a lot of these on bottom feild, up and down hills.

Apparently your suppose to run in boots as well, so you might want to try that. I'm going to invest in some ankle weights! So I can still run around in my trainers but be lifting the weight of a boot.
intro2pete

Post by intro2pete »

Yeah I can see where you are coming from, I'm sure there is a balance to be found, but I will be leaving the sprinting well alone untill I've got my stamina sorted first. I just think that if you can comfortably run a long distance, then you are never going to be really all that far off a fast pace over a much shorter distance, whereas if you condition yourself to run fast over a short distance it will come as much more of a shock to then have to exert yourself for a much longer time. I'm sure someone must have a better idea! When I can run 6 miles without dying then I'll work on the speed I think.

As for boots, I've already got some. Again, I think the best thing to do is work up to a decent long distance with comfrot, then start adding things. I'll probably drop to a much short run with boots, and build the distance back up. Also have a special runners rucksack, which I plan to add weight to over time. If I can run 6 miles, in boots, with some weight in the pack before POC I'll be well chuffed!

Any POC passers got any advice? If you passed, what could you have done to make life easier? If you failed, what sort of level where you at before you went to POC and what did you struggle with?
damon_dixon

Post by damon_dixon »

Personally speaking, when i was in phase two, i found that i was able to run for ten miles quite comfortably, but the first mile and a half was the worst because you had to run at speed as well(trying to complete it in (9 mins). If i where you i would, but before you actually go, you should try running about three mile in boots on uneven ground. I agree with what your saying though, if you can run longer distance then you should be able to run the shorter distances, but dont do what i did and try to keep up with the front runners, just go at your pace, then half way through youll feel stronger then push on, youll soon be flying past them.

Good Luck with the training.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

intro2pete,

Personally i think a balanced regime is the best, one that incorporates different lengths of run and differring speeds (why think to yourself, if i can do this i should be able to do that? why not do both and then you,l know for sure) . Also i found that including some short but balls out circuits really helped my fitness improve, simple like quick sprints between different exercises, and interval training will improve your recovery period, this is where you may run 3 or 4 miles whilst including some quick bursts in between say for 60-100 metres and then returning to normal pace.

After failing my first PRMC marginally, it was the circuits and interval training that really got me that extra bit of fitness and i passed my second with relative ease(still hard of course).

But i guess at the end of the day its just a case of putting in the miles and working hard.

Good luck mate and welcome!

Dwarfy