Share This Page:

Sprinting

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
red

Sprinting

Post by red »

How important is sprinting in Training?

I only ask because I am not much of a sprinter, I never have been. I do sprints as part of my training but they destroy me! They leave me feeling like crap.

Does anyone else have the same problem?
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Feeling like crap is the name of the game, the job of the soldier is to endure.

Sprinting is a big part of the POC/PRMC because it's hard, just suck it up and the more you do the less taxing you'll find sprinting. :wink:
Benw

Post by Benw »

Sprinting is a big part of RM training. From camp circuits to sprinting around the gym and on bottom field. In your position I would focus on sprint training and fartlek training. If I was to rejoin, my preparation would consist primarily of strength and sprint work.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'F*ck, what a trip!'

Start Basic 24th May
dalo

Post by dalo »

Yeh you should really get some sprinting in before prmc, but you definetly need more stamina than sprinting ability.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
SJH

Sprinting

Post by SJH »

On the subject of sprinting, does anyone know a good routine for improving sprint ability, as its never been one of my strong points?
Chris1983

Post by Chris1983 »

I cannot login to my Red user account so this is my new one.

Thanks for the posts. Another question - I have read a lot of posts that mention fartleks, what are they? :roll:
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Fartleks...correct me if im wrong is a form of sprinting by where you sprint for eg: 1min the light job for 30 secs and keep going...I personally, do fartleks on Rugby feilds sprint to first line job back sprint to second jog back etc...

Or running on roads...sprint to the second light pole jog to the next on then sprint 2 etc...

Good way of improving sprinting and getting fitness up...

I think its also called HIT = High Intensity Training.

Dan
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Chris1983

Post by Chris1983 »

I may have been doing them and not realised it!

I sprint the length of a football pitch, then jog back. And then repeat. I can't do too many at the minute but I will improve. :D

Does that sound like fartleks to you?
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

yip, thats the one.

keep going at them, maybe even break it down like sprint to half way and job back then sprint to the otherside jog back. etc etc

unfortunatly I have done these in along time as I have been ill for a long time and only just started to get back into training.

Keep at it mate....Practice make perfect.

Dan
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Chris1983

Post by Chris1983 »

I feel the same. At the moment they are killing me after a small number. I just hope I get better at them as I keep doing them.
dalo

Post by dalo »

Try to mix it up, but my advise is to do more stamina work than sprinting. I found it the hard way on my prmc, cause my prmc was right at the end of the track season at my athletics club. So i had just gone through a whole summer of fast track sessions and i found anything that wasnt speed endurance on prmc very hard because my stamina had went right down. Thats why gym test 2 was probably one of the hardest sessions ive done in my life.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Chris1983

Post by Chris1983 »

At the moment i'm doing 2 distance based runs, 2 hard swimming sessions and 1 sprint session a week, plus press ups, sit ups and pull ups. I was pretty unfit to start out and have seen some improvement, although i'm a fair way of PRMC standards yet.

Has anyone got some advice on how I can improve my training?
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

Chris1983 wrote:At the moment i'm doing 2 distance based runs, 2 hard swimming sessions and 1 sprint session a week, plus press ups, sit ups and pull ups. I was pretty unfit to start out and have seen some improvement, although i'm a fair way of PRMC standards yet.

Has anyone got some advice on how I can improve my training?
I thought this plan was great (requires adobe reader):

http://www.stewsmith.com/6weekrunningplan.pdf

The 5min runs definatly helped with my speed and put some distance on aswell.
Chris1983

Post by Chris1983 »

It looks complicated at first look. I will have a good read of it when I finish work later, cheers mate.

How important is swimming/rowing/cycling in a training programme. I know that the idea is to reduce the impact that your body receives while running. But what happens when you get to CTC? I will be expecting daily runs and more CV work on top of that. Do they break the daily runs in gradually?
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

dalo wrote:Try to mix it up, but my advise is to do more stamina work than sprinting. I found it the hard way on my prmc, cause my prmc was right at the end of the track season at my athletics club. So i had just gone through a whole summer of fast track sessions and i found anything that wasnt speed endurance on prmc very hard because my stamina had went right down. Thats why gym test 2 was probably one of the hardest sessions ive done in my life.
That's an interesting observation there Dalo regarding the balance of endurance and speed work, I think sometimes on here there is too much of an influence on fast runs.