Share This Page:

30-miler on Blue Peter, this Monday and Wednesday

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
billy_bob

Post by billy_bob »

Blue peter also done the artic training and the presenter had to jump into the ice cold water and all the marines laughed at him cause he couldnt say his name. He got out and made it look like a piece of cake. I really can't say it would be.
robouk

Post by robouk »

nufc_rulz wrote:I know its off topic but did anyone see ditry sanchez when they want down to lympstone. It was quality :lol:
Wish I had seen that ;) Any online videos floating about?
Prm

Post by Prm »

25th January , 5pm.

Looking forward to seeing it personally.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

It's apparently on Monday as well as Wednesday, I assume it's split in two or they're showing something else as well. Either way, don't forget!
markd

Post by markd »

yes it was on today, wasn't very long though. Showed him training at home, in the gym and on bottom field at lympstone. They also showed a few minutes of him taking part in the 30 miler but it will be shown in full on wednesday I think?
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Yeh just watched it, was well good. Made me even more excited for going down tomorrow. Im going to miss the wednesday one though.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

It's alright nufc_rulz. At the start of Blue Peter they were talking about modern technology and how via the bbc website you can watch any programme up to seven days after it is broadcast. :wink:
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Or you could do what they did in the old days and tape it... :D
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Bugger I missed it. Can't find anything about watching the programme on the bbc website? :o
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Ive just had a look on the blue peter website and it looks like its getting a makeover as it says the new blue peter web page coming soon, so so much for new technology. :evil:

Tape it :o Didnt even know video recorders still existed for they were extinct :lol:
Chris1983

Post by Chris1983 »

It showed him on a 30 miler, but it was just to give him a taste and they pulled him out after 6 miles because they didn't want to slow the troop down. He was told it was a great achievement considering the training he had put in.

Wednesday is the 30 miler he has been training for, so your probably better watching that one anyway. :wink:
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

What was the deal with giving them bananas after the first 6 miles? Wouldn't they benifit more from high calorie foods such as chocolate bars?

And I know I probably couldn't do any better, but isn't 1 and a half hours a wee bit of a long time for completing the first 6 miles? They would be cutting it a bit fine considering they all looked pretty shatterd and will most probably be slowing down a lot because of fatigue.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Bananas contain potassium and sodium which are effective in dealing with the buildup of lactic acid and cramp, somebody with a better knowledge of bio-chemistry will be able to give a more detailed explanation.

Mars bars etc are good for a quick release of energy, whereas some fruit, certain rice and cereal etc give the body a high boost of things like glucose, but over a longer time, feeding the body for longer. Pasta is a good quick release food, but with something like the 30miler, I suspect you'll need a lot more than a mars bar. Racking my brains to remember which way the GI scale works with energy release, but the above covers the basics.

If I've gone wrong, as always, input from those in the know is appreciated :)
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Well the guy did extremely well to get to the end.. even if he didnt pass..

Was great stuff to see those lads get their green beret's aswell, 891 troop they were so 6 weeks later my troop would have passed out and got their beret. good stuff.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

letsrole wrote: And I know I probably couldn't do any better, but isn't 1 and a half hours a wee bit of a long time for completing the first 6 miles?
Well when you've got another 24 miles to go you're hardly going to be sprinting are you..?

I thought it was absolutely brilliant anyway, can't wait to do it one day!