Share This Page:

Pongo talk me out of here...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
KiwiBen

Pongo talk me out of here...

Post by KiwiBen »

I was fixing a Hearse the other day when a bloke came in to pass the time of day, and as I'm the new face asked me what had brought me to England.

I told him about attempting to join Royal and he started sounding off about the Army. "You'd be a fool to join the Marines lad, the Army will look after you better and have tougher soldiers than the Marines" "We don't just have Commandos in the Army, we have the Paras too" "In fact lad you should join the Paras".

And then my favorite "The Marines aren't front liners anymore, they're all back at base while the Army does all the front line work, look who's in Iraq and Afghanistan, see?"
I pointed out that the Marines were somewhat front line when Al Faw needed taking and he shuffled his feet and started on how crap being deployed from a boat would be. His final shot cracked me up "You'll not belive how sea sick you'll get until you end up on a ship, and belive me everyone gets sea sick"
I've been on some ships in my time, towing 2000 tons of barge and rather lumpy, it's one of the reasons Royal appeals to me, being a soldier and going to sea.

The character involved had been in the Army for 20 years, ten of which were spent at the careers office. What a glorious career :roll:

Benjo
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Probably rhetoric that is spouted to 16 year old kids to persuade them to joining what branch he needed to fill.
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

I'd agree about rhetoric for young impressionables, most soldiers I've spoken to have been very encoraging about joining any branch or service, this ones the first who's been different!

Seems a bit off I thought to slag off another service to try and get another recruit into the army. He seemed to be trying to persuade me with the idea of an easier life. I now understand the difference between a Bootneck and a pongo!

Benjo
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Ha, thats actually quite funny. Army will look after you better, haha.
Funny how throughout your Army career you'll get shouted as if your a recruit even after training, where as after Bootneck training, your NCO's call you mate etc. You've already earned their respect for passing training.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

"So......young man, you wish to be a Paratrooper in the British Army. Had your heart set on it for years you say. Have you not thought about...(looking away, typing into the computer)...an...erm...lets see here......a driver? You get a drivers license and a big noisey motor car that goes BROOOM BROOOM!''
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Well youve sold me chappy, where do i sign up?

:lol:
dalo

Post by dalo »

Hi Ben its Dale from your PRMC, you held my feet on the sit ups. How is things, do you know when youve to go back down to CTC also hows your training going mate.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
harry73

Post by harry73 »

winnie said
Funny how throughout your Army career you'll get shouted as if your a recruit even after training, where as after Bootneck training, your NCO's call you mate etc.
funny that, ive been in the Army over 15 years and dont recall any of what you said. Yes people do get a right ear bashing, but only when they deserve it.

Other than that its all first name terms in the Army, unless your a new lad and playing it safe. But its only a matter of time before they are told "dont call me that is Pete for example

If it was like you said it was I would of got out years ago. And even the odd senior rank who likes his rank to be said will still be called by his first name or nick name on the p*ss or on the rugby pitch.

I dont normal get worked up by comments about the Army but when its come from someone who probably as never been in the Army and doest have a clue what he is talking about then it gets to me.

Anyway take care :)
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

Dale!
Sorry for the delay in my reply I've had no internet for some time now.

I'm good mate, been told I'll be going back either late Jan or 1st PRMC in Feb. Having my 21st at CTC might be a reality!

I've been at a bit of a loose end training wise but I'm starting to see results now, ruitine sorting itself out etc.

I'll PM you when I hear more from AFCO.

Cheers mate, Benjo