Share This Page:

Interview 21st Nov

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

PS

And another the difference between an officer and a NCO is the training. Officers spend like 13 months at Lympstone (don’t know exactly because it raises or lowers every year!) where as marines spend like 8 months I think. For this reason officers take more responsibility, leadership and more paper work (are in charge of around 30 odd marines), require GCSEs and A level’s and start on a higher salary.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Winnie,

I think its the "affairs folder" you are thinking of.Like you said its a log of all the things you learn during training. I still have mine, and have added quite a bit since with the RMR. The better your log is the better it will serve you in the future, i remember a mate of mine who went down to CTC to do his "juniors", and alot of the stuff he needed to touch up on was all in his "affairs folder".

As for the commando medal letsrole, its an award that is given in recruit troops aswell (not sure about YO troops), for the recruit "who best demonstrates the commando qualities throughout training".
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

letsrole wrote:The higher up in the ranks you go, the more responsibility and paperwork!

cruicent
For the officers, you missed out ‘second lieutenant’ and ‘lieutenant’ (two different ranks) comes before ‘captain’.

If you’re an officer you get the commando medal (officer version of kings badge man). Which is basically like the players player in rugby, as your fellow officers decide who should be awarded it.
Oh yep, so I did, thanks. And I think I missed the last two out aswell (If the wikipedia site was right):
2Lt--> Lt--> Capt--> Maj--> Lt Col--> Col--> Brig--> Maj Gen--> Lt Gen--> Gen

EDIT: But isnt the highest ranking marine Maj Gen JB Dutton, the Commandant General?
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Yeah Dutton holds the highest rank in the marines. I think that rank structure is for the army not marines (well past major general). Also officers in the marines do not have the rank of colonel, it goes lieutenant colonel then brigadier, but, they may be bringing this in now with the reorganisation of the commando units and making them full colonels instead of lieutenant colonels, does anybody know that for sure?
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Oh yes sorry, the commando medal can go to either recruit or officer. It is awarded for any man who shows throughout training that he possesses the following qualities to an outstanding degree:

COURAGE
UNSELFISHNESS
CHEERFULNESS UNDER ADVERSITY
DETERMINATION

These Qualities define the Commando Spirit. If merited, this medal is awarded to one Recruit in each troop or to one member of each successful Commando Course. In exceptional circumstances a second medal may be awarded, but this is rare.
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

It says there is General rank for the marines here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_%2 ... Kingdom%29
I heard that they were restructuring the rank system or something, maybe its already been done?
General is a rank in the British Army and Royal Marines. It is currently the highest rank conferred, although it is in the Army subordinate to Field Marshal.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Yeah it's a rank but it doesn't get used. Like field marshal for the army, it's there but doesn't get used. Although, up until recently I heard they haven't used this rank in a while, but then on remembrance Sunday I heard the narrator say that one of the guys (in the royal family massive) putting a wreath down was a field marshal so I'm lost.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

dwarfy wrote:Winnie,

I think its the "affairs folder" you are thinking of.Like you said its a log of all the things you learn during training. I still have mine, and have added quite a bit since with the RMR. The better your log is the better it will serve you in the future, i remember a mate of mine who went down to CTC to do his "juniors", and alot of the stuff he needed to touch up on was all in his "affairs folder".

As for the commando medal letsrole, its an award that is given in recruit troops aswell (not sure about YO troops), for the recruit "who best demonstrates the commando qualities throughout training".
Yup thats exactly what im talking about, cheers for reminding me.
Affairs Folder, i used to hate doing that thing, but i guess its worth while, and yeh i still have mine, still have my notepad and field notepad too, as flithy as it was lol.