Share This Page:

Interview 21st Nov

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Delveyboy

Interview 21st Nov

Post by Delveyboy »

ive got my interview with the marines a week today,and was wondering what kind of questions they ask?i know they expect to know there history and there badge but what else
Javid

Post by Javid »

They'll ask questions about your family, such as how you get along with certain members of your family, also what you do in your spare time, the people you spend your free time with, what type of training you've been doing, why you think the marines are right for you and you for the marines, etc. You should find the questions easy and straightforward, they won't try and trick you. In fact, they are very laid back about it and you may find that they'll even assist you in answering the questions (they did me).

Good luck with your interview ;)

BTW, I start basic that day :lol:
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

make sure you know the cap badge, the history, the victoria crosses, what happens on the prmc and in training and the commando courses.

Dom
Delveyboy

Post by Delveyboy »

well thought id let you know i passed!wahoo
got my medical 30th nov now!
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Congrats - did you get asked any questions you didnt expect?
Delveyboy

Post by Delveyboy »

err just the one
i forgot what year it was founded too,then he reminded me by saying krononburg(sp?),1664!
clintnz

Post by clintnz »

just had my formal interview today as well, they didn't ask me anything about vc's or the badge, apart from asking me about my family, education, interests, why I wanted to join, the only corp related things he asked were

when did the royal marines first start
whats the motto and what does it mean
what units is the corp formed of (this threw me a little but I just went on about 40, 42 and 45 and it seemed to be ok)
where do you go to do PRMC
what all the physical parts are at PRMC
apart from all the training at PRMC what other major thing happens (this was the formal interview with a corporal marine)
what happens and where do you go if you get injured during your 32 weeks training
name some SQ's

it was also quite important to know all your abbreviations

I also got to have a nice long chat with a royal marine who was there, he had been in for 4 years and was already corporal rank which is quite fast apparently, he also graduated top of his group and got some special badge thing that gives him a few priviledges. All in all he was a really nice guy and if you ever get the chance I definitely recommend having a chat to marine before you join, he gave me a huge insight into the royal marines and what hes learned and where hes been in those 4 years as a marine.
He also recommended the australian commandos as they apparently work alot closer with the sas, and he was actually thinking about transferring.

Anyways all interesting stuff, I turned up in casual clothes as well as I don't have a suit yet but it didn't hinder me at all according to my AFCO which is all good news. Still wouldn't recommend it though.

clint :)
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Hey congratulations on passing the first step guys...

Tell me what happens if you get questions wrong.
does that ruin your chance causing you to do everyhting again, or do they just kinda correct you?

and how long does the Pyschometric test last?
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
clintnz

Post by clintnz »

Hey Dlink, to be honest I think everyone plays up this part of the process to be really important when its actually quite hard to not past the interview stage. If I wasn't sure of an answer I just told him I didn't know, but in other areas I would try to make up for it by spouting off to much information until he had to stop me and say thats fine. I must say I had a really nice AFCO, I had another guy sit in on my interview and when he left the room my AFCO was calling him a plonker and talking to me just like a mate would. Just make sure your prepared and just act confident and it will be a breeze.

I think the psychometric test was just over an hour, it was quite easy as well, they send you out one in the mail beforehand so you can pratice, all the questions in the test one were similar to the real one so if you think the practice one was easy you'll have no troubles.

I must say now that everything is underway I starting to lose a lot of that nervousness and im just amped to go and get PRMC done and out of the way, bring it on! :D
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n »

he had been in for 4 years and was already corporal rank which is quite fast apparently, he also graduated top of his group and got some special badge thing that gives him a few priviledges
That would be the Kings badge, something you will hear about alot at CTC.

Men awarded it do have superiority, but it is very complicated. They do often get promoted quicky too. My brother in-law was a Kings Badgemen, he made it to corporal in 3 years, they say the adverage is 9 year, lucky c@#t!

dave
hc00

Post by hc00 »

dave_n wrote:
he had been in for 4 years and was already corporal rank which is quite fast apparently, he also graduated top of his group and got some special badge thing that gives him a few priviledges

Men awarded it do have superiority, but it is very complicated. They do often get promoted quicky too. My brother in-law was a Kings Badgemen, he made it to corporal in 3 years, they say the adverage is 9 year, lucky c@#t!

dave
Is it for officers only?

I have no Idea how ranks and such work.
Wo zhu ni jian kang.
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

hc00 wrote:
dave_n wrote:

dave
Is it for officers only?

I have no Idea how ranks and such work.
Corporal is a Non Commissioned Officer (NCO), so its rising through the ranks from regular recruit. Marine--> Lance Corporal--> Corporal--> Sergeant--> Colour Sergeant--> Warrant Officer 2--> Worrant Officer 1
Commissioned Officers goes Captain--> Major--> Lieutenant Colonel--> Colonel--> Brigadier--> Major General
(correct me if im wrong, cause I would like to know if I am).
Kings badge isnt just for officers, its for the best recruit to pass through training for that training group I believe.
hc00

Post by hc00 »

cruicent wrote:Corporal is a Non Commissioned Officer (NCO), so its rising through the ranks from regular recruit. Marine--> Lance Corporal--> Corporal--> Sergeant--> Colour Sergeant--> Warrant Officer 2--> Worrant Officer 1
Commissioned Officers goes Captain--> Major--> Lieutenant Colonel--> Colonel--> Brigadier--> Major General
(correct me if im wrong, cause I would like to know if I am).
Kings badge isnt just for officers, its for the best recruit to pass through training for that training group I believe.
Thanks for that, what does rising in the ranks mean in terms of extra duties/responsibilities?
Wo zhu ni jian kang.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

cruicent wrote: Kings badge isnt just for officers, its for the best recruit to pass through training for that training group I believe.
No, its only for the really good recruits, not all troops have someone who gets it, you have to shine out above the rest.

There are however other awards, such as most improved recruit, best over all, and there is even a prize for the best (on the tip of my tongue, forgot what its called) the log you make of everything you learn.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

The higher up in the ranks you go, the more responsibility and paperwork!

cruicent
For the officers, you missed out ‘second lieutenant’ and ‘lieutenant’ (two different ranks) comes before ‘captain’.

If you’re an officer you get the commando medal (officer version of kings badge man). Which is basically like the players player in rugby, as your fellow officers decide who should be awarded it.