Share This Page:

Start Basic November 21st

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Javid

Start Basic November 21st

Post by Javid »

Hi lads,

Long time viewer of these here forums. Just joined to find out if there are any other MF lads starting basic on November 21st. Would be nice to go down there with some lads you know, should make it all that little bit easier, especially the first few weeks ;)

Also, I have had the flu for the past 3 weeks, so just been trying to do what I can around that, which isn't a lot really. Some swimming and circuit with the odd 4 miler. I feel my fitness has dropped so much. Should I be worrying about this, or will I be fine as long as I dig in?

Whats the fitness like during the first few weeks? I understand that the Royals will build me up regardless, does this include the possibility of starting off near basic fitness?

I now know first hand what those feel like when you spend over a year building up your fitness to the absolute tops, then being forced off training for a month or two due to illness/injury :cry:

Cheers lads for listening to my moan :P
the_trainee

Post by the_trainee »

hope you get over your illness with mimimum loss of fitness, go an sit in a sauna for 20 mins that shud do u the world of good ? are u muslim at all when i was there i recall there being a sikh down there which was suprisin ?
Javid

Post by Javid »

Hi mate,

No, I'm not muslim, although I understand my name has somekind of meaning in Islam :roll:

Only problem is, I feel I've already lost a fair bit of fitness. I'm hoping it won't pose a problem and they'll just build me back up to my peak. I'm wondering how it will look though if I turn up below even PRMC fitness - its so annoying, yet unavoidable sometimes :x
Rugee

Post by Rugee »

Yeh there is a sikh recruit at Lympstone and a trained rank who is also a sikh in the corps.
Dont worry about your phys mate, you'll be fit enough for training. As long as you can do the basics same as prmc thats all they ask for, in fact when i joined up allot of lads did worse at the start of basic than they did on their prmc's.
Ian
"Zulus sir! thousands of em!"
Javid

Post by Javid »

I'm not sure what my fitness is at the moment, still got the god darn flu. Just doing what I can, mainly upper body circuits. Will I be back squaded if I turn up below PRMC fitness standards?

Are there any lads from here starting basic on November 21st or am I alone? :lol:
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Hello mate, a few post's below yours says "starting this month" will anwser your question. Theres a chap Marine1 on that date also, as far as your fitness if its drasticly below PRMC standerds then you will probably be backtrooped but i doubt its that bad. When i joint in early 2003 (im rejoining 21st) my scores were below that of my PRMC and all that happend was we were given a few words of encouragment :wink: and a few sprints. Dont get your knickers in a twist about it mate im sure you will be fine, anyway ill see you in a week, you get better now :D .
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Javid,

I really wouldn,t worry too much about being backtrooped, i would say it is very unlikely. Alot of guys from my troop when i joined in 2003 got worse scores on the first PT session than they did on the PRMC, and a few had had injuries in between and therefore the scores were in some cases fairly poor compared to PRMC. Like Gavin said you,l probably just get a few words of encouragement, and just have to work a little harder (if thats possible, always 110 per cent anyway). But i doubt you will have lost that much fitness anyway, you might just feel a little less fresh. If you,ve still got flu, dont go overboard trying to to train to get fitness back, as you,l be less likely to get rid of the flu, which is your main concern, get rid of it first.You,ll be better off going down slightly less fit but NOT ill, than to go down with flu.
Anyway good luck all who are joining on the 21st.
Javid

Post by Javid »

Thanks for the encouragment , dwarfy.

I understand that it only takes a few weeks of being sedentary to lose all your fitness. Is this true? It'll be so annoying to go down there starting at basic fitness again. Maybe Doc could shed some light on this ;)
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

I think that depends a lot on how much mileage/fitness you "have in the bank" so to speak. If you've been training hard for months then a week or two off isn't going to reduce fitness levels that much at all. Much longer than that completley inactive and you are going to lose fitness fairly quickly.

I had almost 8 weeks off injured with literally the odd 3 miler here and there but 4 weeks into restarting im a speed session or two off the level I was at before. Thing was I spent the weeks I was injured reading up on running and injury prevention and generally re-evaluating my training which im glad about.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

although you may have lost some fitness im sure because of your training and level of fitness before hand you will be able to regain this lost fitness much quicker than say getting to that level from scratch.Hopefully someone can clear this up for you for sure, but i would be very surprised if all your previous training and its benifits were lost, just from a few weeks out with flu. Like i said i think you,ll find that your previous training and fitness will allow you to regain your fitness fairly easily. Hope im right mate and good luck.
Javid

Post by Javid »

I've been chatting to Doc and he says pretty much the same thing, so I'll cease worrying for now to concentrate on getting other this stupid flu. Everyone in my family has it, so at least I'm not alone :P

As I said to Doc, the last thing I want to do is go down there unfit and end up getting sacked my first week, not after so long of training and wanting it so much :lol:
marine1

Post by marine1 »

hows it goin lads. good to see theres a couple of us starting basic next monday. how are you lads feelin? personally every day seems like a bloody week at the moment to me. CANT WAIT!!!! :D :D :D
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Good luck guys, I was suppose to be on my POC on 21st!!! (brought a tear to my eye reading the title lol)
ashley

Post by ashley »

911 troop I think you guys will be. Time flies. It'll be week 15 for 904 troop, and with that Baptist Run, and a tonne of painkillers for myself. Hooray sickbay.
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n »

good luck lads, i start on december 5th! so I will be in the troop after yours!

Anyway, goodluck and see you down there!

dave