Share This Page:

Pains in joints!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
dwarfy

Pains in joints!

Post by dwarfy »

Hello,

I have a problem that i was hoping someone out there might be able to help me with, most probably Doc. Recently whilst out running i have found that i am constantly getting pains in my knee joints and lower back, around the bottom of my spine. This has only happened over the last month or so, and though it is not stopping me running, it is of course making my runs harder work, and is beggining to worry me a little. I have been running 3 to 5 mile runs on a regular basis now for around 3 or 4 years and have never had the problem before. I am struggling to find a reason for it, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what it could be or how to try and get rid of it. The only thing i can think of is that i have put on around 5 or 6 kg in weight in the last year or so, is that enough to have an effect?

cheers,

Dwarfy
Doc

Post by Doc »

Shoes

Insoles

Tread pattern

Sounds like your feet and how you plant them when running are out of line. I wont baffle you with science, mainly because Id make half of it up :o

Best bet is to get to a running shop or a foot Doc and get them to have a look. If you over pronate or your of heavy build try Brooks Beast trainers, they are about £85 quid but are the dogs bollericks for foot issues. You can find lots of info about tips on the web like getting out of a bath and looking at your wet footprint and then the diagram to see what kind of running placement your feet have.............but its all hit and miss.

Walk around for a day, then go to a running shop at about 4pm (feet are swollen and you'll get a better fit) then get them to see what your feet are doing (no I dont mean hanging around at the end of your legs) and then they'll tell you about insoles or new trainers. Get a pair of insoles for each pair of footwear your using, dont swop them around. go to a proper shop not JJB sports or crap like that, and if the person advising is crap, walk out, or run but that may cause you pain :lol:

If after a few weeks your still having snags see your Doc or a physioterrorist. Your legs will hurt to begin with when running in new trainers or insoles as the muscles etc are re-aligning.

also if your trainers are comfy but old therein may lie the problem, they may have lost their support, the weight gain may be having an effect on your run pattern.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, if you end up in A&E I'll hit the delete button :o :lol:
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

He said hes been running for a few years now without any problems, can your feet or running pattern start to change for no reason or are you born like that?
Oh I have a question as well, I just got a new pair of runners and Ive also just started getting pain in the pads of my foot and a bit in the toes and arch of my right foot. They are suppost to be the right type of shoe for me (asics kayeno xi, support shoe) so do I need to break into them or something?
Doc

Post by Doc »

yes

possibly wrong pair and yes
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Doc,

Thanks alot for that advice, you,ve given me a few good pointers as to what the problem may be.I,ve known for some time that i over pronate when running, and so since have gone to a proper running shoes shop to buy my trainers. Given that they have hopefully given me the correct pair of trainers, that leaves the idea that my running pattern has been effected or has changed. I really haven,t thought of that whilst running, so i,ll pay attention to it next time im out. I,ve also recently bought a new pair of trainers, so it could just be me re-adjusting to them. I,ll give it a few more weeks and see what happens. I was told when at CTC the fact that i over pronate and have a high arch was the reason i was struggling(different problem) with shin splints, (i didnt actualy have this confirmed at sick bay, but my troops PTI was pretty sure), so given this do you think these Brooks Beast trainers are the way to go? I dont mind spending the money if they,ll do the job.

Anyway cheers for the advice i,ll post any progress :D (or more problems :cry: ).

dwarfy
Doc

Post by Doc »

I bought Brooks Beast when I was at CTC and Im on my 8th pair. They are great, I get shin and knee problems, and Ive just started running again after years of cycling and got myself a new pair.

Also try these http://www.yoursole.com/index.htm I have them in my boots. Brilliant bit of kit.
Bullet Sponge

Post by Bullet Sponge »

Hey Dwarfy mate, I know exactly what you mean. I'm a fitness instructor myself and I also have a diploma in massage therapy and from my own experience its down to poor footwear, running on hard surfaces, and poor biomechanics. But since you've been running regularly over the last few years without problem I would guess that what would be a big help is to improve your flexibility. Running is one of those sports that makes the muscles of the legs, hips and back tighten up like a crabs ass! For example the hip flexors get tight and your knees get pulled inwards causing joint pains and clicking in the knees and your back tightens and tilts your pelvis forward causing lower back pain. My advice would be to develop a flexibility programme for yourself or even give Yoga a try!! I'm not joking you'll feel great after it. PM me if you want any more help with it.
Psychometric Test Passed

Interview Passed

Medical Passed

PJFT 9.11

PRMC June 5th
clintnz

Post by clintnz »

don't wanna hijack your thread but what about pain in your shoulders, I get it in my right shoulder (actually its more like the collar bone) and have done for the last 20 years, it only happens now and then but can be quite sore??
dalo

Post by dalo »

Whilst at CTC the PTI told us that they use this stuff from a vitamin shop which helps keep there joints supple, forgot the name of it.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
proffered

Post by proffered »

Could be glucosamine, a substance for which there appears to be a growing body of evidence for it's use in arthritis, esp. rheumatoid and other inflammatory arthritides. Not too sure about it's use as a preventitive measure, but if it reduces inflammation post-exercise it can't be too bad.

Adrian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wasnt cod liver oil was it? :lol:
proffered

Post by proffered »

Apologies, my ignorance is becoming more apparent by the day. The evidence re:glucosamine shows benefit in osteoarthritis, not the inflammatory arthritides. Though when I worked in rheumatology the consensus (amongst the consultants) was that it did have a positive effect in mild inflammatory arthritis. (Dull but true)

And surely everbody should be taking cod liver oil - at least they would be if my mother had anything to do with it :) :)

Adrian
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Yes, I'd reckon it's probably glucosamine. The evidence is that it stabilises the cartilage that covers the surface of the joints, but you need to take 1500mg daily.

I know people who've been able to delay knee replacements by a few years and also some Army mates who found that their knee pains settled down very well once they'd started taking it. I think you probably need to wait about 6 - 8 weeks to see an effect.
Doc

Post by Doc »

is it true you have to administer it PR from a ketchup bottle whilst standing on your head? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

think I'd need 6000mg OD the state my knees are in :cry:
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

You mean to say you fell for that one??? :roll: :D

Well, if that's the way you enjoy your 6000mg, who am I to argue?