Share This Page:

Christians in the RM

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Galant

Christians in the RM

Post by Galant »

This might not prove the most popular subject, but I'm curious. I'm a Christian, a rather devout one, although I suppose that could be taken many ways. I'm looking to join the RM as an officer. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on how those two relate, not so much the morality of being a soldier etc but rather, life in the Corps.

Any experiences? Any thoughts?
Artist

Post by Artist »

Galant

Nought wrong with your beliefs. Just never try to push it into the faces of the lads. Do that and you will be in deep Cack.

The CO of CDOLOGREGTRM Found God quite late in his career and tried to make Sunday Church Services Compulsary whilst the Unit was in Norway. He was removed from his Post ASAP and ended up seeing out his time until retirement being messed around with crap jobs.

As to being a Royal Marines Commando with a strong Christian view point. All I can say is if at any stage of your career you feel that what you are doing goes against your beliefs then best you apply to leave and consider a different career.

Artist
JWT

Post by JWT »

I know 3 months to FAKIN early. I like Christmas to be every day. :wink:

Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
In a one bedroom house made of plaster & stone.
I had come down the chimney, with presents to give
and to see just who in this home did live
As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,
no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand.
On the wall hung pictures of a far distant land.
With medals and badges, awards of all kind,
a sobering thought soon came to my mind.
For this house was different, unlike any I'd seen.
This was the home of a Royal Marine.
I'd heard stories about them, I had to see more,
so I walked down the hall and pushed open the door.
And there he lay sleeping, silent, alone,
Curled up on the floor in his one-bedroom home.
He seemed so gentle, his face so serene,
Not how I pictured a Royal Marine.
Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read?
Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed?
His head was clean-shaven, his weathered face tan.
I soon understood, this was more than a man.
For I realized the families that I saw that night,
owed their lives to these men, who were willing to fight.
Soon around the Nation, the children would play,
And grown-ups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day.
They all enjoyed freedom, each month and all year,
because of Royal Marines like this one lying here.
I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone,
on a cold Christmas Eve, in a land far from home.
Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye.
I dropped to my knees and I started to cry.
He must have awoken, for I heard a rough voice,
"Santa, don't cry, this life is my choice
I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more.
My life is my God, my country, my Corps."
With that he rolled over, drifted off into sleep,
I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.
I watched him for hours, so silent and still.
I noticed he shivered from the cold night's chill.
So I took off my jacket, the one made of red,
and covered this Royal Marine from his toes to his head.
Then I put on his T-shirt of Blue, Green, Red, and Gold,
with the Corps emblem emblazoned so bold.
And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride,
and for one shining moment, I was Royal Marine deep inside.
I didn't want to leave him so quiet in the night,
this guardian of honor so willing to fight.
But half asleep he rolled over, and in a voice clean and pure,
said "Carry on, Santa, it's Christmas Day, all secure."
One look at my watch and I knew he was right,
Merry Christmas my friend, Per Mare Per terram and goodnight.
Do unto others as they do unto you BUT?????
big_al

Post by big_al »

Who wrote that?
markd

Post by markd »

Galant, It is my personal opinion that being a Christian is all about making yourself a better person to fight the forces of evil with the power of good. 'Christianity' spreads the whole round, where there is evil there is always a little piece of good that can be created or helped to surive.

Beautiful poem JWT, I can feel my eyes glazing over :cry: I think I'm going to print that out on nice paper with posh writing and frame it :lol:
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

I once heard of a chaplin who did the commando course with a sheperd's crook made especially that weighed the same as an SA80. Doesn't really answer the question, but it is nevertheless an interesting little story and a possible route for any devout christian wanting the challenge of the AACC without the prospect of having to shoot at people.

JWT, that sent shivers up my spine that did. :-?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Galant,
I think you will find that the present CoE Chaplin at CTCRM was a bootie in the Fi war, Story I have heard was that he was in the thick of it all, as shit was happening , he said to his Oppo, 'If I get out of this lot alive, I shall do the work of the Lord'. He survived and is now looking after the needs of the Nods at Lympstone.
I have never been a God Botherer. However there have been some cracking Padres and Chaplains who were as happy with their flock as with the non believers...
No one will decry you for having beliefs. I hear say there is a Seik going through training and wears a Turban!

Aye
Mike
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Doc

Post by Doc »

I knew a full screw in RM sigs who found God, left to become a vicar but unaware if he made it.
The bish at Cdo Logs who married me (no I married a woman he conducted the service) was Commando trained.

From my experience God is there, its just those that find him, do so in different ways and speak to him in their own way. I heard many a prayer during the nights of troubled times from the most suprising of people. And why not!

Also reading the DaVinci Code at the moment, maybe a tad of topic, but Ive always wondered if Jesus married Mary Mag, whats your view on that Galant? Is there a blood line amongst us, from the Son of God?
Sully

Post by Sully »

Too much time hanging around with filthy heaving pongo's Doc. There are NO FULL SCREWS in the Royal Marines. Go and wash your mouth out and have a good dhobi before you even think of your brew and scoff in the cookhouse this morning. Yuk.

Dear readers, what Doc meant was that he knew a Corporal in the Royal Marines.

Also 'commando trained' in this thread should be taken in its loosest possible meaning. We had padres doing bits of their 'commando training' with our troop in training. What a waste of time. What is the point of having anyone on commando operations if he can't slot somebody. You can bury the dead afterwards.

I think this misses the point a bit. From what I can see Galant is interested in being a bootneck officer - not some matelot who wants an extra badge. Galant, it really does take all sorts and I've said elsewhere that bootnecks are very accepting of each other and unless you do bang on about it (I see no reason why you would - bit of stereotyping there) there's no reason why you wouldn't fit it.
Per Flank, Per Tank
WestSide-Dawg

Post by WestSide-Dawg »

Well i'v been considering getting baptised before I join up. Don't wanna risk it in case I get kidnapped by some nice people who cut peoples heads off 8)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ive dettol-ed my gob Sully and do apologise profoundly. 8)
Sully

Post by Sully »

I'll get back in me box then Doc :wink: Bloody hell mate I nearly choked on my wet and my rolled oats this morning - couldn't even face my bacon grill. 8)
Per Flank, Per Tank
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Just a thought....

As we swear allegence to the Queen and the country on a bible or the religious book of your faith ( or used to in my day ), shouldn't every Royal Marine profess a belief in a Supreme Being?

Oh and by the way Doc, The Da Vinci Code is a pile of crap with more lies than I've had had pussers scran. I could start an entire website on whats wrong with it let alone a new thread. It should be taken with a pinch of salt the size of Mt. Everest. In a book shop you will find it listed in FICTION section.
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

Galant,
You shouldn't have too many problems.
Most guys who join the Royal Marines are "Christian". Most will put C of E as their religion. Most, won't go to church on a regular basis.
You seem more committed that the rest of us.
Artist said it all when he said " don't push it down your men's throats."
You may also have to come to terms with the commandment - "Thou will not kill" - because at some time - you will be called upon to do just that.
Otherwise, I don't see much of a problem. Most of the men under your command will profess to be "Christians". At least in thought and deed.
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.