Share This Page:

Christians in the RM

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Cheers Stix, I'll bin it now whilst Silas is sat in his Audi and Langdon is still having words in the gallery, you owe me £6.99 :lol: :lol:
Galant

Post by Galant »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. No intention to shove anything down anyone's throats. Funnily enough there absolutely nought in the Bible about doing that - it simply says to love people - to treat them as you would like to be treated.

As for the Da Vinci Code, I find myself at odds with those opinions. If Jesus didn't die and get resurrected then you have a big problem with Christianity. But I wont get into all that.

Concerning the commandment - Do not kill - It's actually better translated do not murder. That's something of a difference.
Sully

Post by Sully »

I see no reason why you won't fit in - at least you're not a scouser.

The Da Vinci Code makes no pretence at being historically accurate. It's a story. All he says in the beginning is that there is such and such an organisation etc. I have no interest in organised religion and couldn't really care less whether Jesus got his leg over or whether 'history' was re written and religion used to serve a political purpose (isn't it always?).

I thought it was a clever book - especially at the end when we find out that the crippled Englishman did it :lol: (couldn't resist it Doc - enjoy the rest of the book :wink: )
Per Flank, Per Tank
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

My two cents here.

I have put considerable thought towards this as I am of the 'Born Again Christian' persuasion.

Throughout the Bible there are wars and battles. As said before, the commandment about 'Do not Kill' speaks more of murder.

I have no problem taking another mans life in the course of service in the military. Nor do I if some mug kicks my door in. There's a lot of ways to argue it and I have been told several times that if I follow my desire to become a Marine I will go to Hell :-? Some people are so darn encoraging, not.

Think it over carefully mate, but I belive being a christian is a personal choice, and has small bearing on what career you should take.

Yours aye, Benjo
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets
Doc

Post by Doc »

oh ffs Sully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meet up with stix and between the two of you come up with £6.99 or I will dissect you both by the divine calculation of 1.168. :o

barstewards :evil:

oh, and.......... :lol:
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Doc,

I can't be accused of spoiling it for you because I must admit that I have not read it. I do however, belong to an organisation that the book takes a pop at.
My daughter, (21) who read it started asking me all these questions about the book and its accusations. From there she told me that if she believed here father (like all daughters should do :wink: ) then it is very inaccurate.

A book called Holy "Blood and the Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent written about ten years ago may give you the opinion that Dan Brown may be guilty of copying someone elses work. If you really fancy a giggle try the "The Hiram Key" by Christopher Knight. And if your feeling lazy and want to go totally OTT watch the film National Treasure - totally Hollywood!!
Let me know when you intend to watch Titanic and I will spoil that one for you.

PS have sent you £6.99 by Paypal
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ive seen National Treasure although took nothing in it literally, but enjoyed the film nonetheless.

Ive always had an intrigue into the church, although I tend to go toward the feeling that none of it is totally gen and somewhat twisted to suit the rulers and money people of the day, and since.

I also have an interest in all things pagonistic seeings as from the age of sixteen I was jokingly called "druid" ! comes of being Welsh I guess.

I dont really believe in Jesus being the son of God, but a good egg nonetheless. Does that make me a Jew (like the man himself)? Nah aint into that either. Am I a muslim, nope. Buddhist? Nope. although they tend to have a better outlook on life and are all cuddly and none offending to others and mother earth. Oh apart from Jap Slapping their way through the ages that is. I consider myself to have christian values, I am baptised and confirmed (parents influence) have read most of the bible, just not convinced on all the "facts" and the corruption of the church is off putting. And dont anyone just say "have faith" because the more times I hear it the less it washes.

In my eyes, if God did make us then he also left it to us to crack on. Hes given us life so what more could we expect. All the crap in the world is our own doing, so no point in crawling for help after our own fark ups. I bet hes looking down on earth as a mistake and somewhere else things are improved in Mk2, 3 and 4. Then again we could all be here to work it out for ourselves. But therein lies the problem, wish someone would let us know what it is we are destined to work out, comes with trying all roads and deciding for ourselves what its all about I guess. Someone somewhere knows more, and wether he is right or not isnt my concern.

Ever seen a phot of Europe from satelitte at night? I think the answer is we are a virus as we have all the traits of one. We will strive to survive but expanding and consuming, and all parties and all religions and all nationalities will say its their gods bidding, hence the inter fighting within mankind. Either its all bollocks or God is a schizophrenic, playing a game with mankind! So wether it will be pearly gates, firey hell or nothing when I die, it isnt up to me. And no catholic has ever convinced me that living a good life will get me into heaven because in the same breath you can be a child molesting multi murderer who with his last breath asks for forgiveness and recieves it.

But with all these secret societys the DaVinci Code is making for a good read for a fictional novel, based on a few loose threads of possible fact that could be coincidence at most. I did check out 1.168 and thats gen at least, wish it was for hip to waist ratio in my current state! :lol:

Soon be finished anyway, Silas has topped the nun and Langdon was last seen at the train station crapping himself. Then its back to freddy forsyth and the Fist of God, fiction at its best and he describes Kuwait and southern Iraq to a tee. Oh the joys of not working for a living.

FARK ME! dont i write a load of crap when I get going :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and Stix give us your daughters number so we can compare notes! :wink: :lol: :lol: (only jesting..............

....I have it already :o :lol: )
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

You're not just a pretty face are you - there's abrain in there too.

'Spose thats why you weren't a Stoker! :lol:
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
Doc

Post by Doc »

Just re-read some of Galants posts, noticable by his abscence since this kicked off...well he did ask :lol:

So the bible states that Jesus was born of the virgin Mary by divine intervention as the son of god, was crucified and died to save us, then rose again 3 days later.

Right questions

1) why did God pick 30(ish) BC to send his Son down to us? I mean theres worse things happened since. Was he sent to save the Jews because that would piss the Muslims off abit. And he didnt really save the Jews because he spawned a whole new religion that assisted in the persicution of the Jews. Also the Church then went on the rampage for over a millenium killing anyone who disagreed with their version of events. Including rural people still worshipping the turnip (still happens in parts of Wales!) So Jesus pitches up in Heavens lounge and I can imagine God saying "oh for fark sake that backfired! You aint going down there again!"
2) why did he have to resurect himself before going? Wasnt all his acts of divinity enough without getting sealed in a cave and then not being there when his oppos went alooking?
3) If God is all knowing etc etc and Jesus did pitch up to save mankind why didnt he pick any year between 1930 and 1945 when millions were being slaughtered? Oh hang on that was our doing and mankinds fate. SO what was so special in 30BC?
4) Theres no doubt most most mainstream religions quote Jesus as a great person including the Muslims and Jews, but what swept mankind following his death that made christianity right and everyone else wrong?
5) The Pope?? whats that all about then? Catholics do their thing and in fairness christianity is so loose that if you dont agree you just form a branch with its own rules.

I underline the fact that I aint having a go here about religion, but I am having a stab at organised religion that appears to have no real bearing on the preaching of Jesus. The church has always been corrupt as an organisation and that goes for all branches.

If God is everywhere then I'll pray on the bog every morning, wouldnt do curling one down on the front pew now would it.
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Whilst on the topic, do RM go to Church, if you do, what happens if your an atheist? (someone who doesnt beleive in anything) would this jeopodize your entry?
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Doc

Post by Doc »

No DLink it wont hamper you at all. Alot of people these days would describe themselves as atheist. Wait until a live round goes whinging past your shoulder...without prejudging you or tarring everyone with the same brush....I bet you find someway to speak to God when you hear the whistle!
Doc

Post by Doc »

On a lighter note....

A Para dies and goes to heaven.
At the Pearly gates he meets up with St Peter.
St Peter looks up his notes and says

"Well my son, you seem to have lead a honourable life, you therefore art allowed in. But contary to popular belief down on earth, heaven is more of your own choosing, you tell me your idea of heaven and that is where you will spend eternity!"

So the Para thinks for a minute (has a nosebleed and stops)
"my idea of heaven you hat, is a golden beach with chilled beer and lovely ladies at my call, but most importantly no farking Royal Marines, I hate them!"

St Peter clicks his fingers and they are both transported to a golden beach with a bar and a selection of the most beautiful women heaven can provide.
Then as the Para looks out toward the ocean and the setting sun, he spies a rigid raider skimming across the waves. At the helm is a man wearing a Green Beret and the Capbadge of her Majestys Royal Marines.

"FFS Pete I said no Marines!!!!!" says the angered Paratrooper.

"oh thats not a Royal Marine" says St Peter

"thats God, he just thinks he's a Royal Marine!" :lol:
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

:lol:

No religious convictions here.
Galant

Post by Galant »

I'm at work right now but you'll get your response a little later. That's why I'm only in occasionally.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Galant please believe me when I say that I aint trying to undermine your faith or for you to defend it. I am well chuffed you have strong religious convictions. I too believe in christian values and there being a supreme God. I just have concerns over the church and Jesus being the son of God. Well not really concerns, I dont believe it , neither the church or Jesus as the Son of God.
You have faith and thats a great thing, please dont feel Im aiming this at you.
Infact to me it doesnt really matter what religion anyone is because whatever you believe in some other git says your dammed anyway. And if you say to yourself well ok then some aspects of a certain religion dont wash with me but I belive in God, the commandments and living a fruitfull and good natured life, then someone will thrust his ideals down your neck spouting faith etc etc.
I once rented a house of a vicar and in a conversation one day I mentioned Jesus and religion and that Jesus was a Jew...well I was nearly turfed out there and then. Fact is he was, well he wasnt christian was he??!
And the fact I disagree isnt heretic and not a judgement on someones faith, its just freedom of speech. Something the church isnt fond of, amongst alot of things it preaches that goes against basic christian values. The church interprites alot of stuff for its own well being and if you dont belive the way they preach your dammed. But if you kill people and on your own death bed recieve the last rights then all is ok.....biggest cop out in history. Do what you want just ask for forgivness before you snuff it and all is forgiven.
The best bit of Dan Browns book so far is the fact that the church is re-inventing itself to suit modern society because of dwiddling congregations and funds.....if the church has all this faith why does it waver, why doesnt it stand firm and say, this is how it is if you dont like your dammed. Not "oh you dont like that bit..well its all a matter of interpritation so lets bend it a tad to fit...£5 please god bless!" Faith my arse.......
I believe it goodwill, charity,honour, discipline, fairness, hard work, respect, family values and love............all for free and availible to all who live by it. I know then when I die whatever is there to meet and judge me wont have a leg to stand on if they say Im going to hell!

Oh god (dammed now) I could go on for decades, Im going to stop now and wish Galant good luck in the Royal Marines application, and think twice about going to see the medics :lol: :lol:

soap box anyone? second hand very used, some stains :o :lol: