Share This Page:

Matching Wire Test

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
fraserimoore

Matching Wire Test

Post by fraserimoore »

Hello Guys, just passed my medical, but coz im colour blind i have to do a test called the Matching Wire Test. Can anyone tell me what this is ??? Cheers
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

well done mate, have you done a search on it?
what does the medical consist of what did they do to you?
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

DLink011 wrote:what does the medical consist of what did they do to you?
I did mine yesterday and passed.

First off after being called in the doc went over my eye test results with a fine toothcomb. Apparently he didn't agree with the opticians opinion as she didn't take into account that the Marines place more importance on right eye vision (due to aiming eye im assuming) sod's law, my right eye is worse.

Slightly unnerved by this, although he said I was still within limits.Next a hearing test which consisted of putting on headphones, turning away from him and raising hand in correspondance to gradually quieter/lower sound, no probs there, perfect. At this point I did a colour vision check which was no problem.

Then went to the nurse's room, for height, weight and chest measurements as well as a bloodpressure/pulse check. Suprisingly my heartrate was in the 80's lol due to "white coat syndrome" and lack of sleep, as it's usually in low 50's.
Also did a a peakflow measurement and was asked some questions about past illnesses and family history of heart problems etc, all of which I truthfully answered no.

The back into the Doc's room, was asked if I played team sports. (Probably to equate the chances of you having an injury) and asked me to strip to pants touch toes, raise arms etc for general mobilty.
Then asked me to do some pressups, to which I replied "Marine one's?" lol he just said any type.
He checked for any operation scars, althout there was no "cough test"!
Some more reflex actions and deep breaths and he said he was more than happy to pass me.

I was at the surgery for around 2 hours, although a large chunk of this was spent waiting around, chatting to two other Navy lads.
Actual medical took only around 15 minutes top.
Last edited by GGHT on Thu 15 Sep, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
markd

Post by markd »

well done GGHT good to hear mate :) do you know your levels of eyesight? also did the doc check in your ears with an otoscope?
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Ah yes sorry mate he did as well, I made some joke about wishing I'd used cotton buds but he was laid back.
Not sure of prescription sorry mate but I know I was just within limits!
Basically from what I can gather, it's the vision in right eye that's the main thing if your slightly short sighted like me.
Although im in the weird position not being "serious" enough to need glasses either.

Got to book me PJFt now.
Peds

Post by Peds »

So, no info on the matching wire test?

Try this thead:
http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/cforums ... +wire+test
Only one that came back from search with anything good.

Well done on the medical GGHT, another step along the line.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

If I was to take a wild stab in the dark I'd probably say it involved matching wires that are the same colour. :D
SNiDE

Post by SNiDE »

It would seem medicals vary somewhat. I had a cough test, in fact I had to cough twice (one for each unmentionable). Didn't have to do any pressups, just push legs against the docs hands.
Couldn't find anything on "Matching wire test" on the internet, were you given a specific name for the test (other than that stated) fraserimoore?
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

GGHT wrote: Although im in the weird position not being "serious" enough to need glasses either.
Hmm that's useful.. I'm slightly short sighted but have never worn glasses and always wondered if I would have to or not. Looks promising!
fraserimoore

Post by fraserimoore »

the only name given that i know of is "the matching wire test" and apparently the name speaks for itself, all you have to do is match up the correct coloured wires to each other. If that is the case, ill be fine, its just them damn ishara tests, but the Doc at my medical passed me even though i was crap so maybe ill be ok.
Scottish_Kiwi

Post by Scottish_Kiwi »

Yup,

I had to do the matching wire test when i got my medical. All it consists of is two bunchs of wires, about 20 different bits in each bunch all of different colours. The nurse/doctor will select one wire and they will ask you to show them the same wire in the bunch you are holding.
It is very simple but i think they prefer to use other means of testing if they can.

K
fraserimoore

Post by fraserimoore »

awesome, i'll be able to do that no problem, thanks for all the feedback, i got worried when i got told i had to do more tests.
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

I am colour blind an did this test, it's quite easy to pass.

there is a bundle of wires secured at each end to a baseboard, chopped in the middle with bullet type connectors. You are given 2 minuites to connect all the wires up. All you are doing is matching the same coloured wires together, nothing too hard. I think there are either 20 or 30 wires, I had at least 45 seconds spare at the end.
The Doctor did say he had NEVER seen anyone do it in over 2 mins, but he had seen a few fail it.

Don't worry about it at all mate,it's very easy 8)
I assume you are red/green colourblind? Very common as one in eight males has it to some extent.

Benjo
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets
fraserimoore

Post by fraserimoore »

yea, thanks alot KiwiBen you've really to took some pressure off me now, i was worried because i spoke to my recruiting officer the other day and he said if i fail i cant join at all !. But yeh im red/green, im crap at the ishihara test, but i cant tell colours straight off in every day life. I'll let you know how i get on its this wednesday (21st) at 2.30.

Cheers Again
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

All good mate, best of luck with it.

Glad to be a help, Benjo
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets