Share This Page:

Breaking in new boots.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
themattmeister

Breaking in new boots.

Post by themattmeister »

Anyone have any particularly useful tips besides running and walking cross country?
slaphead_17

Post by slaphead_17 »

Might want to go to search mate, this has been covered loads of times.

But ive just worn mine in, i haven’t done anything special.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Seem to remember soaking them in water then rubbing boot polish into the leather when wet to soften it, as a cadet. Not sure it worked too well though!
markd

Post by markd »

Yeah standing in a bath of warm water should mould the leather to the shape of your foot...... i think :lol: You might look stupid but i should work

Post by Guest »

Seeing as we are on a boot conversation here, I found a way of polishing but It probly is a bad way. Getting the tin and setting it on fire creating a liquid polish when you then cover your boot in. Gets about 100 layers of polish on your boot in like 20 seconds! But there must be a catch, can anybody tell me please.
markd

Post by markd »

:o Your house has burnt down in the meantime, and you left the 'taking off' brush in the I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!! :lol:
chris78290

Post by chris78290 »

StinkyFurby wrote:Seeing as we are on a boot conversation here, I found a way of polishing but It probly is a bad way. Getting the tin and setting it on fire creating a liquid polish when you then cover your boot in. Gets about 100 layers of polish on your boot in like 20 seconds! But there must be a catch, can anybody tell me please.
Yes, but you obviously have a desire to gain an extra asshole at some point in your life so i'll leave it up to the first member of training staff that spots you... goodness me i'm only a lowly RNR Midshipman and I know that. And the catch you speak of ... its on the side of the tin, you push it up gently and the tin opens, theres no need to incinerate it...
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Actually we used to do that on old crappy cadet boots :D

Problem is that it just forms a layer of polish over the boot leather, and polish crumbles at the slightest knock...
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

Well even as a lowly street walking civvy I've had a few pairs of boots 8)

Some of the best were a pair of MOD issue boots, leather and I think exactly the same as they currently use (I got them mid 2002). Eventually the heel came apart inside, but as they polish up well I wear them to town under my tidy trousers and nobody knows they aren't flash shiny shoes.

As far as breaking in you boots, I think the old method of wearing them in a warm bath for about 15 mins so they conform to your foot, then leaving them to drip dry upside down (so the water runs out) for a day or two should do.
Once dry give them a real good going over with polish several times until the leather is nice and supple.

I wouldn't go wearing the buggers out hill walking or anything but make sure your feet are comfy and feel good in them.

Benjo
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

StinkyFurby wrote:Seeing as we are on a boot conversation here, I found a way of polishing but It probly is a bad way. Getting the tin and setting it on fire creating a liquid polish when you then cover your boot in. Gets about 100 layers of polish on your boot in like 20 seconds! But there must be a catch, can anybody tell me please.
Infact im sure if you got caught you would be pretty farked, or then you might not be, who knows, but anyway, just wanted to tell you that people in my troop did that, the held a lighter on the top of it making the top layer liquid then rubbed it on, worked well for them and they never got caught, well to my knowledge they didnt :D