Share This Page:

How far down the application process are you????

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n »

Ive done all of it, just waiting for PRMC which is on the 20th september!

dave
sd88

Post by sd88 »

Got my informal interview tomorrow (8th sep.) for Officer entry.

Steve
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Had me formal today.
Went well I thought, just under an hour long, pretty laid back whilst still feeling like a "job interview".

Medical next Wednesday.

By the way lads when your reading up on Corps knowledge don't make the same mistake as me and get bogged down by battle details etc, make sure you know the EXACT date the corps was formed and the exact amount Marine recruits earn upon entry. Also, be aware of the amount of time you have to serve and your rights to leave etc.
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

In between PRMCs and probably going to withdraw my application soon (for a wee while). Havent spoke to my AFCO since June. They probably think im still recovering.
Jascar

Post by Jascar »

I leave Canada next week to start my application process. Fun road ahead!
james_m

Post by james_m »

Jascar wrote:I leave Canada next week to start my application process. Fun road ahead!
It would probably be easier to fly over! 8)

Cheers
James_m
Peds

Post by Peds »

I have my fourth interview on September 25th... aye, fourth.

I'm not going to be joining for another few years yet, but I started the application process a little over 2 years ago now, so they like to call me in every now and then just to see what I'm up to, get up to speed on where I am.

I just reckon the Lieutenant fancies me :lol:

SD88, how did it go on the 8th? I'm going in for the ossifers as well.
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

Peds, does that mean that you can keep your application going for over 2 years?
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n »

you can have it going over 6 if you want.

My WO said 'You said You've been interested in the marines sinse you were 12, why didnt you come and see us then?
Peds

Post by Peds »

Youngest guy ever on the PRMC :wink:

Dave, how much longer over 6 years? Do I have to complete my application process BEFORE August 2009, or they forget me? Surely not...
This is a question for me on the 25th, definitely.
sd88

Post by sd88 »

SD88, how did it go on the 8th? I'm going in for the ossifers as well.
The interview was very relaxed and we got chattin a little off topic at times but it generally went well. One of the things he said to me was 'you have to be man fit, not boy fit' and commented on my lean-ish build. :lol:

There were a few points i could have improved on:
1. Navy knowledge (I was asked to name an LPD from the back, ended up being the Albion, and the official role of the navy)
2. Interview technique, i didn't sell myself as much as i should have. I have captained a lot of football, though that didnt show a variety of sports and a motivation to get up and try other things. I've done rugby and tennis, refereed 6 a -side tourneys etc. but i just forgot to mention them as i don't play/referee those sports very often. Basically, i should have written down acheivements and proof of leadership skills before i went.

What i'm tryin to say is that i should have known preparation is key to success. Another tip, write down leadership qualities, and highlight your best and worst qualities from that group. (I was asked 'Why do you want to be an officer?' then 'What makes a good leader?')

On to the lighter side, i gave a few good explanations and answers on more recent topics, especially on the Bowman conversions and improvements over the old comms system and also the new Commando 21 organisation.

Anyway, i have another interview closer to my POC date which i wanted some time after the new year so as to not get in the way of exams. Better preparation will hopefully help me feel better about the POC (and hopefully AIB) next time. The POC vid was decent and i've been put on the 'Meet the Marines' day because even though aimed at 'Other Ranks' he said it would benefit me.

Righto, i'll shut up now
ash2003

Post by ash2003 »

Passed PRMC 6th September. Just waiting till Monday morning to ring up my AFCO to get a date for foundation. Hopefully 24th October.

Ash
im2skill

Post by im2skill »

Went to AFCO, navy won't have me till my criminal conviction is 'spent' (5 years). Army would take me in 6 months, not sure why army would take me and not navy. Bit pissed really, got no one to blame except myself. Think i'll be joining the french foreign legion.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I'm on the system but I'm not taking the application process any further til I've cleared a few things up and increased my fitness a huge amount.

I was treated for asthma almost 4 years ago now and I'm very paranoid that I may be rejected because of that, or if I've got any traces of asthma despite never experiencing any of the common symptoms apart from this one time when I was prescribed an inhaler.

I was also given steroids to clear up a chest infection I had a few months ago which is apparently classed as a form of asthma treatment, hence my huge paranoia :x

Ah well, I hope for the best. I really can't see myself doing anything other than becoming a Marine now.
nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

my cousin got rejected by the navy because of his asthma. But his is quite severe. Do you stil have an inhaler?