Share This Page:

What jobs are open to you once you come out?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Humph

Post by Humph »

markthestab wrote:cept im not talking about leaving on an SSC being a waste of money im talking about wrapping being a waste of money

as for the rest its nothing to do with timescale its to do with attitude, planning to leave as soon as possible at any job isnt the best start

nothing wrong with doing the minimum service if youve had your fill or circumstances have changed, but one step at a time, planning to leave before even starting is bad drills
Well of course wrapping wastes money thats stating the farking obvious but you pulled up our friend Cosmo on wanting to do a short service then go in to another job. This is very different from wrapping is it not?

I think were going round in circles but i can appreciate your viewpoint but from someone thinking along the same lines as Cosmo I think your wrong thinking planning to do a SSC is a poor attitude and that it is going to mean you are more susceptible to wrapping during training which is what i think you are trying to get at. But then agaiin I would say that wouldnt I? :wink:

Humph
Artist

Post by Artist »

Loads of Jobs.

Just engage your farking head and Work it out!!!!!!

Coppers, Artists, Prison Officers, Born Again Christians. the list is endless!!!!!

Try farking joining first!!!!!! It ain't that easy.

Artist
Last edited by Artist on Thu 08 Sep, 2005 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Artist wrote:Born Again Christians.
...but Christians will have you even if you only ever wrote out half an application form at McDonalds one summer, they aren't much picky :lol:

PS Think you are being a bit hard on Cosmo, Mark. Not everyone wants the same things from or has the same ideas about being in, as long as they were a damn good soldier while there I wouldn't give a rats arse how long or short their TOS was. Not making a long-term commitment to something doesn't show a lack of dedication, there are plenty of people who excel in different areas and skip from one challenge to another, ie Ranulph Fiennes, off to the Arctic one year, up Everest the next...besides, isn't that a large part of being Royal? Having the flexibility to perform many different ops in many different environments and always get the job done?
john85

Post by john85 »

i think employers will look very favourably on an ex-marine. It shows that you have good discipline and commitment.
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

Get a job with an employer who also was a marine that way youll be looked on more favourably than any other person!
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

Artist wrote:Loads of Jobs.

Just engage your farking head and Work it out!!!!!!

Coppers, Artists, Prison Officers, Born Again Christians. the list is endless!!!!!

Try farking joining first!!!!!! It ain'y that easy.

Artist
exactly,its not a stepping stone to another career its a huge f**king mountain and a great career by itself

it wont really help you get any career other than security or police and you can do that without being a marine

if you want to work security work security, you want to be a copper be a copper, one step at a time

and if im being hard on cosmo id like to see an example during this post where i have insulted him

or have i just disagreed with him?
JR

Post by JR »

:D On leaving the Royal Marines after 25 years service I applied to join HM Prison Service, and on my inteview with the senior Prison Govenor was asked about Military Service, I produced service Certificate,the four Govenor grades on the interview remarked You'll do,no questions just you'll do?.

After leaving the Prison service the 55 year old age limit,I applied for a post as Security Manager for ASDA stores (Boston) once again was asked about service details,and service certificate produced,and I was informed that out of 85 applicants I had made the grade.
I firmly believe that service in the RM had proven a great factor in being accepted for these posts.

And the Marine training certainly came in handy in both jobs???.

Aye,Here's to us and those like us,Damm few left. JR
markd

Post by markd »

if you were an entrepeneur (spelling?) ex RM with enough experience etc. you could start your own business. Maybe survival courses, expeditions, or corporate team building courses? You dont have to work for someone else :wink:
Mr Mojo Risin

Post by Mr Mojo Risin »

if you got the trade, that would be wicked.

22 yr TOS (if i ever join) for me, id come out age 47 - worrying, since im pretty darn sure thats over the hill for most private security firms (CP, private security work etc) - too old to want to do security work at PC World or your local retailer, so whats left open to me? short service, no full pension, not the life i want to live.

Aces to join royal, worry about age 47 later. But then, who ammongst us DOESNT worry about the future?

i thought the question was a fair one to be honest . lots of unskilled civilain jobs (dont get me wrong, they offer nowhere NEAR what i envisage as royal offering me as job satisfaction would) offering upwards of 20k P/A wheras you can join any infantry service, get paid 13k after training, get your legs and your dick shot off the week after passing out. all im saying is mebbe the MOD should take a look at the pay grades and re-scale them to what the lads doing the job are actually worth. bottom dollar being, id bet £100 if i asked all the lads in my office today, if i could guarantee a decent life, full of excitement, rewarding - and a bullet in 8 years - i dont know if you die, get paralysed or just get a hoofin scar, than 1/10 would say yes. probably get shot to flames for that, but its what i think.
PJFT : 9.12
PRMC : 24th May... FAILED
Going back - sometime after Chrimbo
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

No offence, but I think anyone joining straight in on a 22 year TOS is making a mistake, purely because no matter how much you read, learn or dream, you cannot tell what service is going to be like until you are in. That's why ACFO's seem to advise the shorter TOS first, unless you have serious pre-military experience (long-term cadets, TA etc). Mark, for example, comes from a different perspective, having been in the TA, and very active in it by all accounts.

Simply a matter of the society we live in and how one is brought up within that society, if we were militarised, programmed Spartan types it would be different :)
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n »

No offence, but I think anyone joining straight in on a 22 year TOS is making a mistake, purely because no matter how much you read, learn or dream, you cannot tell what service is going to be like until you are in.
you have to sign up for 22 years in RM its open engagement, you can leave with a years notice after your return of service