Share This Page:

The life and times of DWW

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
DWW

The life and times of DWW

Post by DWW »

Sorry if this is inappropriate, please delete if it is.

I'm just so effin frustrated.

I failed my POC in Feb 2002 due to splints/ stress fractures and STILL can't effin run.

Seein my podiatrist/physio AGAIN on friday, to be told again I still can't run I expect, called into ACLO on the 30th for ANOTHER interview to try and get me back on track.

I'm JUST SO FARKIN ANGRY, I'm not makin any progress, It's going to be years until I can try again, if ever. I feel like my life/career is shot to sh*t.

I think I'm going up the wall.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Dave
Last edited by DWW on Tue 15 Aug, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Gutted for ya mate, had shin splints when I first started training and can empathise a little.

Have you kept cross training up?
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

As most people know here (I say it here enough! hehe), I've been injured for 8 months now since passing my PRMC (Hip injury - SI joint). I understand how frustrating it is mate, as my injury has made hardly any progress. Some days you just wonder if it will ever get better dont you? I only got until November 31st to get in and start training or else I gotta do my PRMC again.

Have you had any scan's xrays to determine the amount of damage sustained?
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Ah mate - I know the feeling, started training 14 months ago, since then Ive only trained for 5 months and those have been rehabilitation for the injury I had. I even sit here now unable to train 100%.

You loose heart, get depressed, cry, laugh, cry then cry somemore and most importantly...you have no fucking fun!

Chin up lads, we will get our chance of which I`m certain!!
lew

Post by lew »

Yep, I’ve also been there, dislocated both shoulders last year with in 6 months of each other and had to start training pretty much from scratch twice!

But it can be done, as artist used to like saying PMA (positive mental attitude) and you'll all be fine.

Chin up guys.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n »

I have shin splints right now, and it really is getting me down.

but that doesnt stop me ;)

Anyway, i have been to the doctors today and he advises new trainers, and ex royal recomends salomons with special insoles and lots of swimming, hopefully it wont get worse, or maybe it will heal!

PRMC in 6 weeks. train hard, fight easy
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

I had shin splints a few years ago, i can't remember exactly how they went, but i can tell you now, i've not had them since then.
DWW

Post by DWW »

Just got back from the gym; A hard weights circuit session for an hour and a half followed by 45 mins at a fast pace (heart rate 175bpm 8) ) on the ellyptical cross trainer thing has made me feel temporarily better.

Until I sit down with a couple of wets in front of the TV tonight that is.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one. You sometimes manage to convince yourself that your the only one in the crosshairs of the $hit from up above.

Those of you with injuries wouldn't have posted on here if you hadn't got the minerals to see it through.

I guess this is where that whole grit and determination thing comes into play eh lads?

Cheers,
Dave
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

I feel for ya mate. Since i began training i've had a broken toe and shin splints/stress fracture which in total has set me back nearly a year. Keep plugging away though mate. Good luck :)
bird

Post by bird »

Had shin splints and stress fracture for about 6-7 months it went away month or 2 ago, I started running on grass again for a week and it came back full strength i understand where you are comming from worst thing was i rearranged my medical and looking like a tosser phoning a day after i arranged it to cancle it. Its farkin bollox when your mentally up for it and physically not, but shit happens.

I don't no what im gonno do about it now, thinking of goin to austrailia for 6 months and maybe trying again in a year..... :evil: :evil:

Just remember mate there are others in the same boat as you.

Head up, Matt.
On the road to recovery.
the_trainee

Post by the_trainee »

bad news that, after my prmc i had mild shin splints, so instead i concentrated on low impact activity to strengthen the les like cycling and swimming and ive been fine for a few months now
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I screwed up my foot in Karate about a month ago, nothing major, it's vitually better already. All it's done is stopped me running for a few weeks, so I'll need to spend a while building it up again. Only a few weeks, and it frustrated me like hell. I'm not joining anytime soon anyway, so God knows what you and Daveb and the others that have been out of action for six months to years must feel like. You all have my full respect for carrying on, that's the kind of attitude that Royal's gonna want from you. So keep it up mentally, and you'll be fixed up in no time!

Zak :)
DWW

Post by DWW »

Well, my podiatrist and physio were much more positive today! I've got my orthotics now, to pair up with some recommended Asics Gel 1100s.

Here's the return to running programme he made me promise to do (As if I'm gona hoof off on a 9 miler with kit!):

Warm up.
1 mile gentle run.
1 mile walk.

Repeat every third day.

I can't go above this for a month, then if it's ok, up the distance, NOT the frequency. He also said to run through mild discomfort (i.e. 2/3 out of 10 pain).

I've got to say that I'm absolutely made up! A lot of my negative feeling and depression disappeared immediately upon hearing this!

Straight down the gym this afternoon to test my 'new legs'! (Remember Dave, TAKE IT EASY!!! This is the first run in over 3 years...)

At least I'm going to have something positive now for my next interview! :D (Assuming it goes OK)

Dave (A happy, happy bunny)
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

That's really good to hear mate!

All the best, hope it all goes well and you're well on the way to recovery :)
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Nice one mate, I admire your perseverance.
Most people would have said "sod it" and done something else.
Just try and not get carried away eh if the going is good.