Share This Page:

The life and times of DWW

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
DWW

Post by DWW »

Well, I did an hour of weights followed by my 2 mile allowance on the treadmill!

Slow and steady jog for the first mile, 9 minutes, then marched the second. I had a few twinges after a couple of minutes, and from half a mile until I slowed to a walk my shins (particularly my left) felt strained. I expected this though, so did my physio.

All in all though I'm pretty pleased! Thanks for all your support guys! :D

Roll on Monday!

Dave
DWW

Post by DWW »

Well, that's the second run out of the way! Picked up the pace a tad for this, 8:40 for the ran mile. Definitely felt less strain today, hopefully this is the start of a trend! :D

Followed it up with 25 mins on the cross trainer and an hour of circuits.

Lovely jubbly!

PMA lads, PMA!

Dave
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

I just came back from the University of the West of England human analysis centre, this afternoon, which deals with elite athletes alot of the time, they definately knew what they were talking about, unlike my last podiatrist who was a drongo. They put me in as a case study, charged me £110 (very reasonable) and did loads of tests whilst explaining exactly what happens when I run and why I'm prone to shin splints, basically overpronation I won't bore you with the details. The doctor reassured me that she was confident the problem would be solved and my orthotics would arrive in two to three weeks, normally it would take longer but as my POC is in October they prioritised. Apparently I may be able to claim the money back once I'm in the Marines.

I pretty much recommend you doing this as I have pissed about with my shins this last year since they became a problem and have continuously stopped and started training without progressing very far, I was scared to get the big cash out and the problem would have been ancient history by now if I just found out about the above sooner.

I found out the number from a running shop so you might aswell go down and check out the uni's in your area or just go to UWE (I'll PM you the number if that's the case) if you can't find any, beats the hell out of hack job podiatrists.
I wrote this the other day on one thread, thought I'd follow it up on this one seeing as the other one seems dead. These orthotics arrived on Saturday! that means it took just two days to have them made :lol: My job involves alot of walking and they feel lush. Don't you love it when a plan comes together DWW? Running now commences on thursday.

Anyone who has been pestered by shin splints for ages I urge you to do the above, its early doors yet but I think I have a great feeling about these special orthotics.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Nice one guys! Really glad you're both on the mend :D

Like you said, PMA.

As for my injury, I think at last, this current physio has helped me properly and at last I am seeing 'slight' improvements, though I can feel it is still weak (my muscle/ligament that connects to the SI joint) and it twinges from time to time when standing up fast etc. I just hope this is the start of me recovering after nearly 9 months out injured!

Cant wait!
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

How did you get a nasty hip injury like that anyway Dave?
DWW

Post by DWW »

Excellent news matt! Feels good doesn't it?! 8)

Dave, that's good to hear mate, any progress is better than standin still, hope you're on the way now. :)

Dave
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

DWW when i was 15 stone(i was 17 stone to start with) i used to get bad shinsplints

i couldnt run properly without shinsplints till i was 14 stone

untill that time what i used to do was do 20km a day on my excersice bike(comfy chair kind, witch means you can watch telly :lol: ) on the maximum resistance at a fast speed, the heart rate was always high and sweat was pouring so it certainly felt like running

and when i did start running again it was amazing the difference and how much easier to run it was, for the first time in my life i could run without stopping for more than a couple of miles

your shinsplints might not be weight related but its possible
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

themattmeister wrote:How did you get a nasty hip injury like that anyway Dave?
I did it whilst cycling up a hill, then made it worse on my PRMC. I was in a fair amount of pain by the end of gym test 2 so decided to rest it for a week to see how it went.....well during that rest period, the ligament or muscle contracted (according to my physio) and pulled the joint down.

All's (hopefully) getting better now though and if this is the road to recovery, you wont be able to wipe the smile off my face! (I couldnt even run 10 steps a month ago......aint gonna try running yet, but it feels better slightly)
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

sounds frustrating, when i was injured with an ankle injury for only about 3 weeks recently i was depressed

have you been able to use rowing machines or swim to keep your fitness up in the meantime daveb
DWW

Post by DWW »

When I first developed them Mark I was well under 13 stone, I obviously just run gammy! :D

I'm now planning to drop a stone of muscle, changing my weight training from bodybuilding routines to higher reps, circuits and supersets, adjusting my training to stop gaining mass! It's fun being this big, but it's not quite as agile as needed!

If i can maintain my lean weight at about 200lbs I feel i should be fine. Just 12lbs to lose!!!

Dave
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Yeah it is very frustrating mate. Bloody depressing too when I hear that the people who were on my PRMC are in week 30 now! :P

I'm able to swim for a little bit but nothing to strenuous (spelt right?). Rowing machines would cause real bad pain, like running does. My physio has advised me not to do anything just yet.

So basically, if I get over my injury in the next couple of months I got to get back to full fitness to start my recruit training! Though she also said that because I did have that level of fitness, I will regain it quicker.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Just got a call from my AFCO today (first time in a couple of months) and he said that I'm gona have to take another medical after this injury. :-?
Fingers crossed it'll be ok, but I am well worried about it!
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

Hello chaps,
I thought I would just say how encouraging this thread has been!

I am recovering from a busted right ankle (twisted whilst running in the dark, loud tearing sound and a nasty 'pop'). I can run now and it is just a case of getting in shape for PRMC.
Good to hear your getting over your injuries, and the advice on PMA's is toppers 8)

All the best lads, Benjo
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets
DWW

Post by DWW »

Daveb, don't sweat it mate, I'm sure it'll be fine. If you're recovered and ready for PRMC you'll pass the medical. If not, then you get more time to make sure you're fully healed! :D

Ben, we seem to be gathering a growing crowd of injured young men! :cry: However we all appear to be made of 'the right stuff' because we're all cracking on! :wink: 8) I've got to say your ankle injury sounds particularly gruesome though! :-?

Spent a solid 2,5 hours training today, a nice mix of heavy weights, bodyweight exercise circuits and an hour on the cross trainer. Absolute magic. My mates just didn't understand when I turned down the offer of the pub saying 'I can't, I haven't been to the gym yet today!' 8)

Dave
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

Nice one about not going to the pub, I can fully relate to that!

Yes we do have a few chaps with injuries right now. I live 25 miles from anywhere, south island NZ hill country which is gods gift to those wishing to be fit. Downside is motivation to train can be a bit lacking sometimes, and physiotherapy too far away and expensive :evil:

Part of my weekly fitness regime now includes walking up the hill accross the valley from the house, 642 metres of it and back again, great fun :lol:

Cheers, Benjo
give a man a bullet, he'll ask you for a gun.
Give a man a gun, he'll be giving away the bullets