Share This Page:

JOINING THE ROYAL MARINES

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
TAFFY

JOINING THE ROYAL MARINES

Post by TAFFY »

I'm 26 & have been interested in joining the RM's for quite a while now, so much so that I actually applied & successfully completed the entrance written tests. I was then due to attend an interview but found I bottled it (I know, even @ that early stage!!!!). The reason why I decided not to attend interview is because I feel that, due to my age, I won't have time to develop a career within the corp, if accepted. Is this a genuine concern or am I being over-dramatic ??, any advice from serving or ex royals would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Go for it!

Age aint got ought to do with it. Blokes when I was in had been in for ten years before they decided to go for promotion and suchlike. I had been in for 7 years and at 25/26 went for promotion and got it and then only because I needed the money as I was married.

Regardless of how old you are when you join your going to do the same amount of time as everyone else you join up with if you stay the course. So why worry? Just do what you want to do and sod the opinions of other people.

Artist
ashley

Post by ashley »

I attended a PRMC a few weeks ago. There was a good few of them over 25, one was 31.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

I'm 25 and I too was worried what it would be like being one of the 'older' ones. Then I met a Marine who had just got his green beret and he was 25 too. He said you will find age is of no concern to them at all and you dont really think about it.

Also, I talked to my AFCO about this and he said because I will be older than a lot of the others when I (hopefully) get my green lid, promotions would come a little faster than say, a 16 yr old because of your 'life experience'

Go for it mate, you will only regret it if you dont do it.
TAFFY

Post by TAFFY »

Thanks very much lads for your words of encouragement.
I do have another concern (I know I'm annoying!!!!!). I currently live with my partner & so have a mortgage & bills to make every month. I'm just worried if I do get selected for R.T. (not that I'm convinced I will) that financially I will struggle as it would mean taking a significant pay cut. However, looking at the long term, with possible promotion I will eventually be looking to be earning more than I ever would in my current job. I know It's my personal decision & there's not a great deal you guys can tell me but I just thought I'd vent my fears.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

For that problem mate, I would speak to your local AFCO. They can be very helpful in areas like that and should provide you will the info you need. Or you could just call the recuitment line on 08456 07 55 55.

Hope that helps mate :)
druadan

Post by druadan »

Definitely speak to your AFCO on that one, a couple of lads in my troop got a few hundred quid more than us, one was married, and the other had a kid. So worth a try.
Artist

Post by Artist »

TAFFY

If all else fails do over a bank before your joining date! :D

Seriously though the Corp has a cracking good Welfare setup and can and does help blokes who find that joining up creates a lot of money worries.

As it has been said ask the AFCO about it. Nine times out of ten there will be an answer.

Artist
T T Fresh

Post by T T Fresh »

Preparation is the key.

In training (well hunter) and I have a partner and bills. Not least the new car we bought last week.

I have uni debts, rent, ccs, council tax - you name it i'm paying for it.

It's possible but you need to be open and frank about it with your partner otherwise as with most matters financial, those ignored will bite you hard just when you don't need it!!! You need a large degree of trust in your partner and faith in yourself. Back yourself and you'll have no regrets.

I'm also the same age as you. You have one life so don't waste it on "what if's". If you don't like it in the corps, leave. If you do, jobs a good'n.

I say go for it and best of luck if you do!!!!
Doc

Post by Doc »

TAFFY wrote:Thanks very much lads for your words of encouragement.
I do have another concern (I know I'm annoying!!!!!). I currently live with my partner & so have a mortgage & bills to make every month. I'm just worried if I do get selected for R.T. (not that I'm convinced I will) that financially I will struggle as it would mean taking a significant pay cut. However, looking at the long term, with possible promotion I will eventually be looking to be earning more than I ever would in my current job. I know It's my personal decision & there's not a great deal you guys can tell me but I just thought I'd vent my fears.
If shes fit then she can move in with me and you can sell your house, Im willing to put myself out to help you out like, good egg I am. IF your one of the new "ask me no questions I give you no answers" recruits, then I cant help you!

Taff you'll be too busy training and sending your pay home for her to spend mate :lol: Marry her once you've passed out get a MQ and sell/rent your house. Devon is Just like Wales except they speak funny down there!

Im a Taff too so good luck boyo
TAFFY

Post by TAFFY »

Thanks alot guys!!!!, I feel quite selfish now after hearing that lads are going through the stresses of training, who have financial & family commitments, & here's me worrying before even being accepted for training, apologies!!!. As you all said, it's up to me and if I want it enough then I will do something about it. Thanks again.
JC

Post by JC »

Good GOD! How could you miss that? YOU'RE HALF WAY THERE :D ....well more like a tenth of the way there :-?
juxta

Post by juxta »

I'm 26 and i start foundation on monday.. just passed prmc too..

do while you still can...
manutd

Post by manutd »

Hi, Im 30, with 2 kids both below 3 yrs old, a missus, mortgage and a half decent job, I joined up in 1992 and got discharged due to an injury very early into training, although it was 13 yrs ago i have never lost the interest or the erge, I am seriously thinking about giving it another shot, my other half isnt impressed but at the end of the day its hard to live with regrests, if you dont give it a go youll be kicking yourself later in life. Im not sure if I am still kidding myself at 30 but you only live once!
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

ManUtd,

Why don't you try RMR mate? Seems like it would suit your circumstances better.

Dan