Share This Page:

Intro, stats and possible problem...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Ayrey

Intro, stats and possible problem...

Post by Ayrey »

Hey all,

Been browsing these forums for over 4 months now, but have only just decided to join now. First off, this is an excellent website with some great bods and advice. Its been great coming here to read up on what potential RMs are up to and what training life is like for those who have just started foundation.

My current stats are:

1.5 mile in 9:42 mins.
3 mile in 20:18 mins.
4.5 mile in 31:04 mins.
60 Press-ups in 2 mins.
76 Sit-ups in 2 mins.

I have my psychometric test tomorrow and have just been finishing my preparations for it i.e. application form, bit of revision, etc.

I've just recently noticed that I no longer have my education certificates. I am wondering what problems this may present. Will I have to fill in a new form and leave that area blank? I presume if that is the case I will have to complete the NAMETS (sp?), correct?

Other than that, I was just wondering how long it may take from completing the psychometric test to getting a date for PRMC?

Thanks for any advice.

Ayrey
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Get in touch with your old school and they should be able to get copies off the exam board that issued them.
What do you know about surfing major, you're from god damn New Jersey
slaphead_17

Post by slaphead_17 »

My friend had lost his as well when he went for his RAF interview, and apparently it would cost him a bomb to get copies of them back from the exam board.

It took me just under 3 months to get a date for the PRMC (well they should be ringing me any day with a choice of dates) from the time I did my test. It would be two months if I wasn’t away all June. But they don’t mind if you think you need more time to wait for the PRMC.
Ayrey

Post by Ayrey »

Yeh, looks like I'll have to do that, AdamR. Hope it doesn't cost too much tho, :lol:

Great, possibility of doing PRMC in just 2-3 months - well, fingers crossed anyway. I just can't wait to get started. I am now 19 and I have been wanting to join since the age of 13. I was ready at 16, but I was persuaded by my parents and teachers to put it off until I had finished school/college.

What are your current stats?

Thanks for replying guys ;)
Ayrey

Post by Ayrey »

Ok, passed the psychometric test easy enough. There were about 8 of us there along with an intelligent looking lass.

I was the first to make a mistake. Instead of reading the answer booklet thoroughly (was eager to get started), I missed the part where it stated, "You must cross out the LETTERS only!".

Me being a dunce went and put the answer in the little boxes next to the letters. Seemed logical to me, not reading the warning. Well, it wasn't till the end when the guy administering the test decided to tell me I should have marked the letters and not the boxes, so I had to go through the whole answer booklet making the changes whilst everyone else watched me do so :oops: . Had a laugh about it afterwards with some of the lads.

Wasn't the only laugh either. I was also the first to ask if there was a toilet onsite, cause I was busting (been on a 40min. train ride does that), and the Cpl at the office decided to mess around - "Sorry, there's no toilet within the area" - I was like, "Oh shit!". After the whole office finished laughing, he decided to give me directions. As I went off, I noticed a bunch of the other lads get up and follow me :roll:

Anyway, half an hour later, when the administrators began to call us in, one by one, to tell us if we had failed or not, we noticed the lass come out in tears. She told us she had failed, and you should have seen our faces. We thought how could someone who looks so intelligent fail this test - then we all started to worry.

One other lad and myself were left till last, and they called us both in together, which was a little odd, as they had been calling us in one by one. The admin told us we had passed and gave us our dates for our interviews.

Now, the main purpose of my post. My interview isn't till June 15th. Is it normal to wait such a long time, after taking the psychometric, for an interview? I was kind of expecting an interview date within just a few days/weeks.

Anyway, sorry for the long post - got a little carried away :lol:

I can always trim it if its too long, just thought it may be of interest to other people going through this stage. Fortunately for me, I didn't do anything too embarassing.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Hi mate - congratulations on your test. I`m right in assuming that its the maths, English and mechcanical test? I thought the test was very simple? What sort of questions were you asked?

People might have failed as they needed a higher score than someone trying for the Marines??
Ayrey

Post by Ayrey »

Thanks JK for the congrats, although I guess it is only the first stage - long way to go yet before even starting foundation :-?

Yeh, it was the maths, english and mechanical test. It was easy enough - I answered all the questions for all sections, I did find the maths section a little tougher than the others though.

I thought it could have been due to that why she failed, but I think it was the fact that you could still fail that hit most of us there, even though it was a simple enough test - well, it did for me, anyway :roll:

Type of questions, they were similar to the ones in the 'Procedures and Practice Test Booklet' they give you with your application form... heres one I can remember:

Maths - Consider this sequence of numbers: 124, 116, 107, 97, 86

Which of the following comes next? A 68 B 74 C 72 D 80 E 76

The questions are easy, it is just the time limit, especially the maths section. If you haven't done maths for awhile, it takes a little longer to work things out :oops:
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

I lost my certificates and it cost me £56 for replacements if i remember rightly. £26 to the Edexel board (maths/IT) and £30 (i think) for AQA for all my other subjects. Takes about 4 weeks aswell.
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

to be honest, i never got my certificates from school, i think they still have them...