Share This Page:

PRESS UPS

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
alcsparks

PRESS UPS

Post by alcsparks »

ARE PRESS UPS CONTROLLED ON THE BLEEP IN 2 MINS

OR IS IT HOW MANY ONE CAN DO IN 2 MINS AT HIS OWN PACE?

SEEN DIFFERENT VIEWS ON THIS SO ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
ashley

Post by ashley »

It's how many you can do in 2 minutes, at your own pace. Hands shoulder width apart, elbows tucked in. As shown in the PRMC Fitness Training booklet. Also, you might want to make better use of that Capslock key ;).
alcsparks

Post by alcsparks »

Cheers, was v worried that it was controlled on the bleep! Head off to Lympstone in 2 weeks time!
ashley

Post by ashley »

For PRMC? Best of luck with that. I've got mine the week after, on the 3rd.
alcsparks

Post by alcsparks »

POC - 25 April. Scary stuff, but looking forward to it mate. Good luck on the 3rd. I keep reminding myself about a PMA - positive mental attitude. A green beret would be sweet!
slaphead_17

Post by slaphead_17 »

mate I was watching a dvd in the afco on Monday while I was waiting for my interview, I put the POC video on (even though I’m going as a recruit) and that said that all the tests in GYM test one where done to a bleep. It’s not for the PRMC but it is for the POC. I saw them doing it to the bleeps for the press-ups it might have changed I don’t know but that was what I defiantly saw on the video.

Good luck
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Little confused on the "elbows tucked in" part of the erstwhile Marine press-up. Does this mean your elbows should be next to your chest, ie at the same angle as your legs, pointing towards your feet?

I just ask because the MFAT article on techniques for press-ups, sit-ups and so on shows the PTI there with his elbows at 90 degrees to his chest as with normal press-ups.

Could anyone who has recently done POC / PRMC confirm which type of press-up you have to do?
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Nicked from Sticky I believe, ages ago.

Notice elbows 'tucked in' to body, also the body shape 'arse up' and head looking forward.
Funnyshapedhead

What did he have for breakfast

Post by Funnyshapedhead »

Not a bootie wannabe, just heading to be a regular pongo but I am worried about this demonstration video.
I have been watching this chap for a while now and he hasn't stopped once. I can't see anyone else on camera and it's just after 1am, someone should tell him to get some sleep.
Will check back in the morning to see how he's doing.
beardo

Post by beardo »

Still going strong
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Alcsparks wrote:Are press ups controlled on the bleep within the 2 minutes or are they as many as you can do in 2 minutes under your own pace?
This will depend on the conducting PTI, and which version of the gym test they wish to do. If they do the complete RMFA, then it is each pressup on the bleep. If they do the USMC, then it is own indavidual effort. Both test are available to be used. 8)
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Gotcha Jeb, that's what I thought was being described.

So essentially the picture below (from the Military Fitness and Training RM page for PRMC preparation and other fun days out) is completely wrong, as the rosy-cheeked lad clearly has his elbows at 90 degrees?

sinno

Post by sinno »

The press-ups in the POC are done to a bleep, the ones on a PRMC aren't.

The type of press-up done at the POC I attended where the ones that the wimpy PTI :o in the animated post is doing.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Bugger. Well, more circuits and piano-playing for me then.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

sinno wrote:The press-ups in the POC are done to a bleep, the ones on a PRMC aren't.

The type of press-up done at the POC I attended where the ones that the wimpy PTI :o in the animated post is doing.
Wrong, as I said earlier, it is PTI's discretion as to which test is used. Common practice tends to use the with out bleeps (RMFA) for PRMC. But this can be changed dependent on initial reports from the careers office assessments. If the RMFA is used, then all the other physical tests are scrutinised for indavidual effort. 8)

Oh, and the 'Weedy looking PTI in the photo' Isn't. No extra tight white vest, no bulging guns and the recruit style hair cut give the game away 8)

There is a PTI stalking the forums around here somewhere. I think he knows what he's talking about. The last time I saw him, I was looking in the mirror. :wink:
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.