Share This Page:

Dog tags

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Matrix

Dog tags

Post by Matrix »

Do royal marine commandos wear dog tags which have there name and id on it??

i keep hearing the word bootnecks what the hell is that??
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Get your laughing tackle round this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marine

That will give you a quick history then visit:-

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/141.html
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Bootnecks are Royal Marines.

Ive been told two reasons why they are called that. Not sure which is true if any of them are...

1. Because they used to tie the boots around there necks and where always told to get their boots off their necks.
2. Because they used to wear leather tops around the neck area and boots are leather..therefore .. bootneck.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Matrix

All Armed forces personal wear Dog Tags..........What did you think Bootnecks wore? No don't tell me please.

Artist
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

RM.Nod05 wrote:Bootnecks are Royal Marines.

Ive been told two reasons why they are called that. Not sure which is true if any of them are...

1. Because they used to tie the boots around there necks and where always told to get their boots off their necks.
2. Because they used to wear leather tops around the neck area and boots are leather..therefore .. bootneck.
In days of old when Knights were bold etc. Marines (Note- Not Royal. that hadn't been awarded yet) used to steal the boots of sailors :lol: (horah). They then cut a strip of leather from the stolen boot, one inch wide from one side of the boot to the other just infront of the lace holes. This strip of boot leather was then stitched onto the inside of the collar around thier tunics to make it stand up straight. This is why today the collar on a Blue suit looks the way it does. Bootneck/Leatherneck/Bootie its all the same.
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

does anyone have a picture of their dogtags?
if so share
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

jeez dont you know what dogtags look like, google it. im sure youll find all the dogtags to your hearts content on that. w.w.w
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
Artist

Post by Artist »

DLink011

Some of your posts are quite lucid and then you blot your copybook with a stupid question like that! Why the Hell would you want to see a Piccy of a set of Dog Tags???? :o

Join up and they will issue you a set.

Artist
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Artist i am joining up but was going through past threads, just wondered, i heard they are like a circular shape. and i know usa have rectangular shaped not serious to be honest lock it if you must just wondered.
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Artist

Post by Artist »

Ones a red circular disc, tothers a green squarish jobbie. The yanks have metal ones.

DLink011 think before you make a pillock of yourself again mate. Your hearts in the right place of that I have no doubt as you forked up a fiver to subscribe. But sometimes..................Just think a bit more. OK?

Artist
JWT

Post by JWT »

Besides EVERY Servicman being issued with DOG TAGS there was a Fad among Royals in the 60,s to have their "Blood Group" Tattooed on the Left Shoulder, I believe it became that a common practice that SBA's looked automatically if Blood Group was required particularly urgent, Doc shed Light. :roll:
Is this still a common practice or did it die out with the Old and Bold?
Her that THINKS she must be obeyed bought me a set of Gold I.D. Tags for me 21st, still got um some where. Take picky and post just for you Matrix and DLink011. :roll:

Cheers JWT. :wink:
Doc

Post by Doc »

I have my blood group on my left arm "ONeg" with a little squirl for artistic purposes. 8)

I always felt secure that if some first aider found my arm then it would get a transfusion as they tried to find the rest of me :lol:

Alot of lads had it done when I was in JWT, we also put one dog tag in our bootlace covered in green tape and then the other around your neck. Blood group was always drawn in black ink on green tape stuck to body armour or on your helmet. But to be fair most medics just shove hartmanns solution into blokes with blood loss and the Doctors in the Hospitals would do a blood test routinely anyway. No medics carry blood, even our own was 99% Cafferys or Guiness! :lol:
Artist

Post by Artist »

JWT

We once had a skin matelot working in the Pompey Print shop who was well impressed with the lads Tats. So offt he went and had his blood group tattooed on his left upper arm........Shame the tattooist was Dyslectic really.

BLOD GROPE A NIG

I kid you not Oppo. Thats how it was spelt!!!!! :D Poor Ickle Jack was well pissed off! The lads Cheesed down. As it was when I was in, the Docs were told to ignore tattooed blood groups and only use the Dog Tags.

Artist
Last edited by Artist on Tue 27 Sep, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

lmao, was cryin then
AND THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ON THIS MATTER. w.w.w
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

Artist wrote:Shame the tattooist was Dyslectic really.
Dyslectic.. that sounds like the Conservative Party :lol: But i think you mean Dyslexic :P