Share This Page:

881 Troop - The Kings Squad

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
davo141

881 Troop - The Kings Squad

Post by davo141 »

Weldone lads...its been tough but your there!

out of around 53 orginals...18 orginals including those that had to re-run the 30miler on thursday will pass for duty.

it was tough lads just a shame i had to get injured in wk 22 doing something we'd done a thousand times..climbing a bugger of a rope!

its green and its yours! congratulations!i made some good friends in that troop and i wish you all the best in ur chosen paths..i'll more than likely meet some of you again in a unit..with some of you it will be a pleasure if its certain someones....god help us :wink:

me n Bryars will try and get to the pass out Allman aswel should be a good day...

You T**TS
:wink:

Davo
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Now I know that this is going to cause a hell of a debate (maybe) but here goes....

Without taking anything away from the lads that you have referred to, that have just passed out, being an original is very overrated IMHO.

When you get to week 31 (i.e. your first day at a Unit ) nobody cares what you did under training. Its today and tommorrow that counts. The crux of having a green lid is that you are the equal of all your fellow Marines. You know it - they know it. You went through what they did and they can rely on you.

The secret of passing out as an original is being lucky enough to avoid an injury that back troops you, and thats it - pure luck. Your instructiors are there to train and pass you out - not to bin and fail you. If you put enough effort in you will pass out - period. Fair enough, its something to aspire to, but does that make anyone that was back trooped less of a Marine or less than your equal? Ask your instructors and maybe the RSM if they passed out as an original and you may well be surprised at the answer.

Even if it takes 50wks - WELL DONE!!
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Stix2, being an original has a slightly different cachet. Back squaded troops are always adopted and accepted, as long as they pull their weight. But man being the creature he is, we are all naturally lazy; consequently some, SOME, of those who went through Chosin, now Hunter, discovered that Lympstone has a soft underbelly, if the game is played.
It can be very difficult for week 20 Nods to put a relative old hand from Hunter, in the picture when they rejoin the real world.
The mates you make when joining and passing out as originals are slightly different, hard to explain it any other way.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Stix2, being an original has a slightly different cachet. Back squaded troops are always adopted and accepted, as long as they pull their weight. But man being the creature he is, we are all naturally lazy; consequently some, SOME, of those who went through Chosin, now Hunter, discovered that Lympstone has a soft underbelly, if the game is played.
It can be very difficult for week 20 Nods to put a relative old hand from Hunter, in the picture when they rejoin the real world.
The mates you make when joining and passing out as originals are slightly different, hard to explain it any other way.

copied from Druadan's post on 'Got mine'
Came to a head when a couple of lads (both backtroopers - the most rats nod on camp (sure you know who I mean, gangly fella!) plus another) wrapped on cleaning their kit when we got back - we got in midnight Wed night and had til 0800 to square everything, when it came to going on leave the team found two bergens just dumped in the drying room. Not going to be a nice coupla weeks when we get back
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Yes okay, I accept what you say, but....

I have been directly involved with training for 10 years since I have come outside. I regularly spend longs periods of time talking with Nods and I have had them in tears (no joke) because they have been back trooped because of a medical injury. What I am saying is too much is put on being an original. There have been some bloody good Marines who were backed trooped under training. To prove the point, the present Branch Advisor of my old branch was binned from another branch for being a gash hand!!!

Nods that are "playing the game" are a different matter entirly. The system has allowed this "game" to evolve and the present regime in Hunter are doing their best to stop it. But if those on high are saying "No, you can't bin the crap ones" then what can you do?
Don't forget also there are those who go into Hunter with an injury, recover, re-troop and pass out. Lets not tar everyone with the same brush
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
Mr Mojo Risin

Post by Mr Mojo Risin »

Am i reading this right?

Your saying that becuase of recruitment shortfall, powers that be have said that instead of an outright binning, if there is ANY chance that said recruit MAY pass out, then they should be backtrooped, and backtrooped until they have passed out?
PJFT : 9.12
PRMC : 24th May... FAILED
Going back - sometime after Chrimbo
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Yep thats about the strength of it.

There is a great deal of pressure to fill the holes in the units. Undermanning is the biggest problem for the Corps bar none.

There are many reasons for this but I personally believe that the biggest reason for the recruiting problem is that 16/17 year olds these days are better educated and their asperations are a great deal higher than when I joined up. Tony Blair want 50% of all school leavers to carry on to further education, and lets face it, if you have done three years at University you don't want to become a Nod do you?

This county needs plumbers/electricians/builders/servicemen etc. We don't need anymore Artists/political studies/actors etc.

Off soap box, quick march - left right left right
Artist

Post by Artist »

[quote="Stix@CTC"]
We don't need anymore Artists

Personal abuse now then is it?!? :roll:

Artist
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Well, there's plenty of P*ss Artists around here!! :lol: :D

Anyway, I thought they were all called "Combat Intelligence" now?? :wink:
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Good on You!

I think what you have just said proves my point
druadan

Post by druadan »

I understand what you're saying, that extract of mine from above comes across a little harshly! Lads from Hunter as a general rule fit straight in and crack on, you just have to let them know the little ground rules each training team have so they don't get caught out or make anyone else's life more difficult. It seems to be *some* backtroopers who have been backtrooped for failing something that cause problems, simply because they're not up to the required standard (or far too willing to wrap) - hence they were failed in the first place - and get us all in the brown stuff. The example above is a recent case - no-one in our troop would have dared leave honking kit floating around, especially not the day we're going on leave, having just been given a big stand-by anyhow, but a couple of lads who've only just joined the troop made the situation that much worse, which breeds resentment among the rest of the lads. On the other hand, the majority of backtroopers in our troop are good blokes.

Hope that made sense, rather hungover, losing the thread a bit :roll:
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

No Probs - see you Monday - Bright eyed and Bushy tailed!!