Share This Page:

Peculiar question... :)

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
somedude

Peculiar question... :)

Post by somedude »

Hiya,

I just have this paradox in my mind. I find it near impossible to equate "marines" with "nice normal people".
I'm not saying that soldiers are bad people, far from it. I'm not trying to imply that at all, I have the utmost respect for anyone who can get into the marines.
I just can't seem to marry the two up in my mind...because it's such a paradox.
I was just wondering, why you do it, what goes through your mind when you are called upon to do what you were trained for?
It's just...strange to me.
This may be a touch personal but if anyone could give me some answers I'd appreciate it.
I actually wanted to join the marines myself but for various reasons I cannot, so in a way I can't understand myself either. It's like I'm a walking paradox. I can't really explain it. What's it like for you?
minimac

Post by minimac »

Hi, Welcome to MF

Correct me if Im wrong, but even though the Armed Forces are a lifestyle and not just a job, wouldn't any RM be a RM in the day (or whenever his duty is) and when he goes home he is a dad, son, whatever? ie: normal people like you and me, except a lot fitter :P .

If I'm wrong jump in :lol: .

Im back to the Forums! Thought you had got rid of me 8) .

MM
somedude

Post by somedude »

Hey, thanks =)

Well indeed, but it's still a very "unique" occupation. Much as people don't like, I assume, to dwell on the fact, ultimately a royal marine is a highly trained killer.
james_m

Post by james_m »

I do not totally agree. A marine is a 'special' person. Not everyone has the ability to undertake 32 weeks of some of the hardest training in the world and is able to stick to it.

I have the greatest respect for all Royal Marines and think of them as something above the rest!

Thats just my opinion!!

Cheers
James_m
saffer

Post by saffer »

somedude,

Did you just learn what paradox meant and thought you would pack it into a post as many times as you could?
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

james_m wrote: I do not totally agree. A marine is a 'special' person.
:-?
flo

Post by flo »

The FACT is that they are highly trained, and they know when to switch of, that is why the Royal Marine Commando training programme is one off, if not the best in the world. they are taught discipline to a very high degree. It is a known fact that The Royal Marines are often called upon for there expertise in humanitarian efforts. But fact is fact, and i think every bootneck wife will agree with me on this one, put a bootneck in a roomful of kids and you can guarantee he will be the last one out. They are the most friendliest lads ive ever know but bloody good at what they do.
somedude

Post by somedude »

That's cool. Just strange from an abstract point of view.

Don't appreciate the cheap stab at me however, saffer.

Post by Guest »

somedude,

I
I just have this paradox in my mind. I find it near impossible to equate
think
...because it's such a paradox.
you
It's like I'm a walking paradox.
are
Just strange from an abstract point of view.
brilliant.
somedude

Post by somedude »

Huh?