Share This Page:

Prince William to join corps ?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Woody

Prince William to join corps ?

Post by Woody »

Some reports suggest he may decide to join the royal marines over the army.

What are your thoughts on this ? I think it will bring some positive publicity to the marnies myself and should be seen as a good thing if he decides to apply.

Links: http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed ... %20marines
http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/news ... e_page.htm
MCD EASTERBROOK

Post by MCD EASTERBROOK »

Well my opinion is, as he is royalty if and when he joins the corps he will be treated like royalty regardless.
stripey588

Post by stripey588 »

Unfortunatley, any member of the royal family who joins any branch of the armed froces will be followed round by the usuall required "extras".

If he does decide to join the corps, then i hope he is well breifed on the training, and wish him all the best.

untill you actually do the training, you will never know how hard it actually is.

if he passes under his own merit,good luck to him. if he fails, then wait for the media backlash.
yours aye

jason

www.savedutchy.co.uk
Woody

Post by Woody »

Only time will tell I guess...
Tab

Post by Tab »

Lets hope he does a bit better than Edward.
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

Yeh i saw this in the sunday mirror today (since its sunday). They even did a super imposed picture of him with his lid holding a rifle.

Good luck to him.
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
MCD EASTERBROOK

Post by MCD EASTERBROOK »

I think if he is really serious about it then i respect him however if he just joins then gets fast tracked into a higher rank my respect will go out of the window.
CrouchmasterT

Post by CrouchmasterT »

Personally I think William has the right mental and physical qualitys to do it and pass training, the only thing that bothered me with the article was it sounds like he's being pressured into it by prince Phillip especially the "agreeable compromise". How much does he really want to go for it, I've always thought that with the RM and the paras you had to want it more than anything in the world to keep you going through training?

If he does really want to join i think he'll make it, if its an "agreeable compromise" he wont and it'll be the prince edward thing all over again.
Only 3% of applicants to the Royal Marines earn the right to wear the green beret.

Post by 42 »

strong shout tab
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

Howcome Edward dropped out of training? or did he actually get in? i read somewhere that ^QuOtE^ ... "he was in the Royal Marines, but decided to leave to pursue a celebrity career." ^QuOtE^ ... if this is true then obviously he had no intention of joining in the first place. :wink:
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

I thougt he dropped out halfway through basic?
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
Woody

Post by Woody »

Gazza85 wrote:I thougt he dropped out halfway through basic?
Thats what I read also, dunno if its true or not.

Post by 42 »

cant remember what week he got to but i think he got to the bottom field phase but couldnt hack it.(i remember seeing pics of him on the regain
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

The Royal Family owe us one, after the debacle that was Prince Ted. :roll:
Charles attempted and passed All-Arms Cdo Course, fair and square and without the glare of the media spotlight.
Andrew attempted the AACC and failed. He was awarded an Honoury Green Beret. :roll: :oops:
Edward joined while he was still at Uni and turned up at CTC when he could fit a spare week in. When he eventually joined a YO Batch he would often be absent due to "Royal Duties" elsewhere. Then the rumours started. Eventually he asked for leave "to consider my future, within the Corps" A prime example of "wanting is not enough. 99.999% need not apply"
Stacks of leave chits were whacked in "to consider my future" etc by some sarcastic b`stards 8)
The whole episode left a very bad taste, even today, and the feeling was "don`t start something that you can`t finish"
Diana`s lad would certainly be capable of passing, but the Army would be the safer bet. Not said with any disrespect, just my view.

As the tee-shirts said, you can turn a frog into a Prince, but you can`t turn a Prince into a Royal Marine 8)

Look at Ted`s er, hmmm, er, "career" since leaving the Corps. :oops:
Who said he was gay? :o
al(spider)

Post by al(spider) »

the year edward rapped in training the corps was in charge of the royal tourament and the lads got in the shite for wearing t shirts with " i couldnt make it as a prince so i joined the royal marines" on them