Share This Page:

Heights?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.

Heights?

Post by Guest »

I'v search for this but found alot of different answers so I thought I try this. I'm fine with every to do with the PRMC and 30+ weeks apart from the heights. I'v done a 145 foot abseil of the Cardiff Stadium which was worrying but I did it but I just cant help think about the high ob course on the PRMC and the 30 foot rope climb and the most worrying is the Tarzan course which people have said that there is a death slide thats 80 foot up. How can they make you cross rops that are 40 foot in the air and higher, if you came of then you would end up going to hospital or worse. I would like to know what people think about all this and what the heights are for the prmc courses etc. Thank you for your help.
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

Lee
Don't lose sleep about it mate,the obstacles aren't that high and by the time you get to do them you will be bursting with confidence.

SH
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

I wouldnt worry mate, I`m not, and I hate heights.
mercury

Post by mercury »

Fear makes you grip harder
"certa cito"
Cronkilla

Post by Cronkilla »

Honestly, it doesn't cross your mind.

On my PRMC it was a case of getting on with it or having a lobbicking , needless to say when the PTI said go i went :D

You can always grab onto the board as you fall (if you fall that is :D ) and if you dont it's not far to fall :D

Post by Guest »

Ok, thanks guys. How high are the course on the PRMC and anything eles that might be on the PRMC. Also what board were you talking about that you can grab on to? On the tarzan course is there water below or a net if you fall?
stripey588

Post by stripey588 »

lee, this is going back a few years so bear with me

death slide. its about 60 foot (ish) up, and you climb staright up a ladder.
you will be given a thick piece of rope with two hand loops in it, which you dip into water (to stop the rope burning, via friction). when you get to the top, the pti will prob hold your trousers while you put the hand held rope over the downward slidy rope. you simply put your two hands through the loo[s and ahnd on for dear life. there is a safety net that goes out about 10 foot, for those that may fall off at first, but then its rope and fresh air. just dont let go at the bottom straight away, cause when you stop, your momentom throws yours feet forward, and you may land on your ass. let go when you can see your landing.

up a scramble net, and on to a postmans walk, this is 2 wires, 1 for your feet and 1 for yur hands. just take your time and keep yur balance. dont over lap your arms/hands/feet, just slide them.

then a simple rope crawl. lie flat on the rope, with your right ankle over the rope, and your left leg hanging down to the left, (the same way a cat or monkey uses their tail as a balancing aid). pull with your arms and push with your right leg.

you then have two wires that are level with each other (forget their name). your left hand/leg go on the left wire and your right hand/leg go on the right wire. you are in the position that a baby does when he crawls. move your left hand/leg together, the your right hand/leg.

reverse death slide. this is a rope that goes downhill, but you face the way you have come from. this is the same a s for the rope crawl. you let your left leg act as abalance, your right anke goes over the rope, so that your right knee is to the right, but your foot is on the left of the rope. (hope that makes sense, you will be shown). you then place boths hands on the rope, but dont grip it or you will get friction burns, just let them act as aguide. the pti says "go" and you go down backwards. when you need to stop, you will feel a pti slap you on the back. at that point, you grip with anything that will grip, and you will stop.

the last piece is a test of faith (also forgot the name of it). you run along a thick beam of wood, about 2 foot wide and jump into a scramble net.
the trick here is to run full pelt, get a good jump and hit the net.
IMPORTANT when you hit the scramble net, you PUNCH YOUR RIGHT/LEFT HAND THROUGH A HOLE, THEM BEND YOUR ARM AT THE ELBOW, ACCROSS THE CHEST. the reason for this is if you try and grab 2 bits of rope you may miss, and you will bounce off the net. by PUNCHING your arm through, and bending it at the elbow accross your chest, you shouldnt fall off. then over the scramble net and up to the rope swing.

run up the ramp, grab the swinging rope (wait till the rope is swinging towards you before you jump) and use your mementon to take you clear of the big bit of wood.

as i said, thats from memory of 14 yrs ago, so i dont claim it to be spot on, but i dont think it will have changed to much.

the highest bit will be the death slide.

i hope this helps, if anything is wrong, im sure ill be corrected.

all the best
yours aye

jason

www.savedutchy.co.uk
druadan

Post by druadan »

There's minimal safety netting. It is high (not 80ft though, unless my judging of height is way out!). Guys have ended up in hospital from falling off it. Don't worry about it...you'll be breathing so hard through your arse that you'll be more worried about collapsing than falling :wink:
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

I'm not afraid of heights, its the falling down that scares me.

Post by Guest »

Thanks For All Your Help
druadan

Post by druadan »

You've got that set on Ctrl V ain't you Lee? :wink:

Post by Guest »

No :)

Do you ever use your msn messenger? PM me back.