Share This Page:

Somethin that has put me off joining the military in general

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
synrg

Somethin that has put me off joining the military in general

Post by synrg »

hiya

i would join the Marines after this year at college but when i hear that troops get sent into battle without the right equipment, this sickens me, there isnt enough body armour, enough ammo, enough guns, enough uniforms or enough boots, i would rather join up knowing that i would get everything needed to do my job...it sorta pisses me off because i was really up for joining and was looking forward to a career in there but oh well... :roll:

its like getting a job in an office but you having to buy your chair, phone, computer and wallpaper because the company doesn't have enough to go around..., would you take that job?? especially if it payed sh1te? i think not :)

anyway :drinking:
fevernova

Post by fevernova »

i understand what your saying but the marines are infanty and they where all given armor, it was the tank personal that had them took off them.
Passed PJFT 14 NOV - 9:30
PRMC - march - failed
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

The whole British military has never been given the right kit, it's because of that, in my opinion, our forces have become so adaptable. On the other hand the Marines are usually the first in along with a few others and I'm sure they will get the first dibs in kit. If you think they'll have a hard time without kit just think how bad it'll be for them without enough oppos to cover there back, if people keep quitting then that's what's going to happen. Keep at it mate and don't let anything discourage you.
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
Artist

Post by Artist »

The Royal Marines will never change. Start of with nought and still come up smelling of Roses!

It's what they do. Adapt and improvise. If your going to worry about what they issue you to wear best you don't bother.

PMA (positive mental attitude) rules in the Marines, always has and always will. Was like it when I joined in 1973 I bet it was like it in 1873 and 1664!

Marines are Marines and find ways and means to defeat first the enemy and then the Knobbe*rs who run the MOD.

If you don't like being left to your own devices don't join the RM's. The average Marine can make something out of nothing. It hacks of the Army but who cares anyway ifen your a Bootneck!

Artist
synrg

Post by synrg »

i am still very keen on joining, but that is my only problem but it wouldnt bother me that much really as someone said in a reply to this thread that the marines are the first in so get all the kit needed...

thankssssss :fadein:
fevernova

Post by fevernova »

The whole British military has never been given the right kit, how would u know where u over there.

not saying ur wrong but there is only a few people from the ARMY only that have come forward and they where all in tanks
Passed PJFT 14 NOV - 9:30
PRMC - march - failed
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

For there isn't a job on top o' the earth the beggar don't know, nor do-
You can leave 'im at night on a bald man's 'ead, to paddle 'is own canoe-
'E's a sort of a bloomin' cosmopolouse-soldier an' sailor too.
The Royal Marines are amongst the greatest improvisors in the world.

Aye - Andy. :lol:
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

The whole British military has never been given the right kit, how would u know where u over there.
I know that because I've read alot of history about the British forces and I know a lot of ex-soldiers. I'm not just talking about Iraq I mean in the history of our military in general. The historical evidence shows that the army usually has been shortchanged when it comes to what kit they get yet they have always managed to come out on top, it's a great testiment to the quality of our soldiers. I don't think many will disagree with that.
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

The inherrant nature of warfare is "making the best of a bad situation".

The British solder has the tenacity, courage, flexibility and mental toughness to adapt to many and varied theatres and scenarios, hence his historical success on the battlefield. The very fact that he does not get all that he needs (read "wants") is a benefit to his wonderful qualities. The essential needs of the combat soldier are combat supplies: Ammo (as a priority), then water, food, and fuel. Everything else is secondary. The alternative is to become soft and pampered like some of our allies, to the point where we can't go to war unless we can guarantee the troops that Coke and hotdogs will be present!

I have served with and experienced a variety troops from around the world over the last 23+ years as a soldier. The Brits are comparitively VERY well equipped, even now, and are undoubtedly among the best in the world! In my experience, only the Ausies and Canadians come up to a similar standard as individual soldiers. The Americans have most definitely improved over the last fifteen years (they used to be absolutely horrible!), but they have a way to go yet!

The French Foreign Legion have a monster assault course in the jungle in French Guiana. It is an absolute BEAST of a thing (measured in Kms!)! Fastest time over it belongs to 2 REP in a couple of hours or so (hell, it's their piece of kit, they should be good at it!). Fastest foreign time is the Royal Marines who came in just a little slower than 2 REP. The honour of the slowest recorded time of 19+ hours goes to the USMC!

My advice would be, that if you are so concerned at this point about what you will and will not receive in the military, then you are not mentally prepared or capable of funtioning as a member of the military. No offense intended. Just stating facts.

Seems to me you have a choice:

1. Join and find out for yourself (first you have to make the grade, though :-) ). Then, maybe, earn the right to whine about the lack of kit.

2. Stop whining and stay as a civi.

Currently, I'd suggest the latter.
Kane

Post by Kane »

Here here, couldn't have said it better anglo.
old scaly back

Post by old scaly back »

Lack of kit.
Get on the bus get off the bus.
Kit check again.
Foods crap.
Inspections.
Clean this, paint that.

Moan moan.

Adventure training time.(with full pay)
Who wants to go to America and walk the Grand Canyon.
Me, me.

Who wants to go on a speed boat handling coarse.
Me,me.

Who wants to go out on the P with good mates who you can TRUST.
Me,me.

Etc etc

You have a choice.
Mind you it helps if you have a sense of humour.
If you havnt there could be a problem.
I used to be in the SASS (Saturday and Sunday Soldier)
chunky from york

Post by chunky from york »

We the unwilling, led by the unwanted have done so much with so little for so long we can do anything with nothing.

Notice on Taylor Woodrow site in Bahrain == it is not just the military!!
Chunky from York

I may not be the man I was, but I was
Artist

Post by Artist »

It gets down to this; as long as yer arse points down, you will find a way to make it happen.

Artist
druadan

Post by druadan »

"You only have to worry about a private when he stops bitching."

The Thin Red Line...film, maybe, but sounds about right. After all, it's only pain, so they say!!
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

So sunshine you are thinking of not joining cos you don't get body armour!!??

Never had it but of course we didn't need it in Aden 1966/67 and the pull out 1967. We even wore short trousers..

I did wear a tin hat in NI in 1969 when the riots wee raging but there were stacks of bricks flying then... and on later tours 79/80/81 we did have flack jackets.
Falklands nothing but we only did a frontal assult up hill at night and cos it was at night they could not see us so we wore our green bertets and advanced..

If that is putting you off then don't bother stay at your desk job...

PS I joined for a ten bob bet

SyY
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]