Share This Page:

Pongo's Trying to Poach the Corps

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Nomad

Pongo's Trying to Poach the Corps

Post by Nomad »

It looks like tha Army have finally admitted the Royal Marines are the Top Soldiers of UK forces...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ortal.html
Yours Aye
Tony L
[url=http://www.civvie-street.co.uk][img]http://www.onceamarinealwaysamarine.co.uk/images/sigyomp.gif[/img][/url]
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Would Royal have to take the Army's entrance tests? :wink:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

It seems like they will just welcome them open armed the only catch is they will have to have their names emblazened on their left brest on all uniforms except the Ginger Suit that is... Image
Yours Aye
Tony L
[url=http://www.civvie-street.co.uk][img]http://www.onceamarinealwaysamarine.co.uk/images/sigyomp.gif[/img][/url]
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

I knew a guy who was in the process of sewing his name to his Ginger Suit before being counseled otherwise.

His defence was that he was told to sew his name tag on all his kit. He went on to become a Sgt, enough said :D
Matty

Post by Matty »

Excuse my ignorance being a mere 'wannabe', but wouldnt the most obvious move be, to bring the paras in line to what they want instead of nicking the RMs.

The best they saw of the Royals they could intergrate it with the current regiments in the army bringing standards higher. Maybe that particular action suited the Royals more then the paras,and will be the other way round in another conflict.

Unless its been on the cards for a while, and Gulf 2 sealed their argument for the army taking over the RMs, it seems stupid that the Marines doing so well it takes a leader to say 'youre the best we will have you' and thats it.

Would this mean changes in training, standards, funds.?
'HE WHO TRAINS, RODDERS
HE WHO TRAINS.....'
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

The whole move is beyond me as well, and I do wonder how much this is influenced by jealousy. But on the other point of the effectiveness of the Apache, it made reference to the failed atack on the republican guard, but is that really important seeing as the Americans changed tactics, and had another go with great success?
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
ratso

Post by ratso »

The Army's response has been a demand that the Commandos, originally an Army force, should be brought back under its wing, something the Royal Navy has rejected.

Sorry BUT when ever were RM Commandos part of the ARMY!!!!!!!!

Should someone start a history lesson on the Brit Commando for the Papers?
Falklands Veterans Foundation
www.fvf.org.uk www.yomp30.co.uk
Save the Fearless www.hmsfearless.co.uk
Give Her A Home So We Can All Remember
John_D

Commando

Post by John_D »

It is true that the commandos started in WW11 and there were a lot of
different numbered units, [ at this stage I am not going to name all the
units,] but Number 3 commando was, and still is the Royal Marines,
No 3 cdo has always been the Amphibious Section of the British Fotces,
Because of the nature of moving both by sea and by land, hense the
Motto of the same wording.

Have you noticed that it is a Parra Big Wig who is proposing this change,
Its ironic that the Parras is one of the regements that is down for
reductions in numbers.

Aye

John_D
[img]http://www.amazing-animations.com/gif/flag007.gif[/img]
joe

Post by joe »

I think people need to be careful that just because various things have been said in the Telegraph, it doesn't make it gospel.

I don't think anyone is saying that the Paras need to be bought 'in-line' or 'up to the standard' of the Royal Marines (other than perhaps some people with too large an ego). The Paras have performed superbly in recent conflicts; Sierra Leone and Kosovo spring to mind. They too have been busy in Iraq, and just because they weren't on the front pages, doesn't mean they didn't make a worth while contribution to the operations in the Middle East.

Can I take this opportunity to point out that 3 Commando Brigade is self-sufficent because of the commando units from the Army.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Well obviously the paras do an excellent job but whats wrong with trying to make them better?

Its got nothing to do with egos. I was simply suggesting better communication between all of the regiments to say what they find better in the marines way or paras of that particular situation, and encorporate into their regiments.

Getting uptight about a suggestion that the paras could be improved just goes to prove there are people whos egos can get dented very easily.
'HE WHO TRAINS, RODDERS
HE WHO TRAINS.....'
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

No one is knocking any other regiment or arm as each play a vital role in any military operation in both peace and conflict, my partner a former WREN played an important role @ PJHQ Northwood during Gulf 1 (as it is now referenced)

The call is simply why would the Royal Marines benifit from becoming part of the Army - most people join because it is different and not the Army. And why would the Army want the expence of running the Royal Marines?

The mere mentality of the Royal Marines would disapear as it exsits despite the Navy or the Army and because it is autonomous.

Can you imagine wearing your staple belt outside your jumper which has your name on? In the Royal Marines we know our names. I know this has nothing to do with the move but we are rebeliouse by nature and enjoy being able to play Perce off against Jack and wear kit from all 3 services as part of our uniform.

On paper it makes no difference in the head it will. It works leave it alone!
Yours Aye
Tony L
Statistic

Post by Statistic »

It would be a big operation in practice and theory to move the Brigade over to the army, or even just the 3 fighting commando units. I no that most people would be put of by this and the commandos would have an even bigger recrutment and retainment problem on there hands.
To be honest i don't think it will happen like this if it does. I think if it was going to happen it would happen in the way of creating a seperate Army Commando unit which would recieve simular training, etc. It might even mean giving the paras commando training and making them army commandos, certianly would make them an interesting unit. Royal Marines commandos rely heavely on the navy for there large scale logistics, support and funding. The truth is the navy no how to use a dedicated elite anphibious force, they've had the privalige for hundereds of years, and the introduction of the commando role was an invaluble inhancment. The whole Anphibious commando concept such as the Royal Marines will not work under Army managment, they have neather the knowlage, the history, the commitment or the sence of humour to own them.

Another senario could just mean that the army will resieve a share of the command of 3 commando Brigade or more units than it already does. It would be fair to say that the Marines at some points have a lot more in common with the Army than the Navy and it may even benefit in some way from more help from the army in the way of equipment, funding and support, etc. A sharing situation, with joint service command could work, it works on a limited basis now, but needs ironing.

All i no is that if the big move does happen, I for one will re-consider my application.

The way i see it -
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Aye,
JZ
"Nobody said it was gonna be easy!"
jonboy

Post by jonboy »

Why change a good thing that works so well! :x
alright
pezmod

Post by pezmod »

Someone tell me if im wrong, but is'nt a large portion of 3 Commando Brigade including its Engineers, Signalers, Artillery, Armoured Recce already apart of the Army. If so would'nt it make sense to give it to the control of the Army.
joe

Post by joe »

Matty wrote:Well obviously the paras do an excellent job but whats wrong with trying to make them better?

Its got nothing to do with egos. I was simply suggesting better communication between all of the regiments to say what they find better in the marines way or paras of that particular situation, and encorporate into their regiments.

Getting uptight about a suggestion that the paras could be improved just goes to prove there are people whos egos can get dented very easily.
Err I was refering to the content of the article, not your post ... :-?