Share This Page:

Bloody typical

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Cronkilla

Bloody typical

Post by Cronkilla »

After getting over an injury on both legs(the back) i now have an injury on my left leg. Its located in the hip area and its bloody annoying when running. I do a large right leg stride the a little left leg (making me look stupid and slowing me down).Its only when im running and about 10 minutes after it others me. I do stretch up and down properly for 15 minutes working the entire body 2 times over each time. Im just looking for advice on how to speed recovery as my prmc is 10th june. Im was told not to use deepheat before and wandering if the same is true here. Ive applied a 'tube-i-grip' and have not taken any pills etc. I dont want to put of my prmc unless i still feel the same the friday before i go. IF however i have the same pain but not as much im going to go down and take some pain killers. Which is also another question which tablets should i take (if any)??

It started last week so i ran 5 miles on monday then rested tues and wed and the pain is still there. Im going to rest from now till monday stretching multiple times each day to see if it helps.Advice would be welcome.
Sam's Dad

Post by Sam's Dad »

Sorry I can't offer any advice with regard to your injury, there are probably far more qualified people on here who will though.

My lad Sam has his PRMC next week and has picked up an injury in his left calf. The law of sod. He noticed the pain last weekend and it hurts when he runs. The dilemma is now whether to rest it, postpone his PRMC and then regain his current fitness level, perhaps a month in total, or go next week.

He can still run on it, averaging 6 minute miles and jog all day, sprinting is also OK.

My fatherly advice to Sam - go next week, as he will no doubt pick up a lot of other knocks, aches, bruises and pain when he goes through the PRMC and the current leg problems will become minor in comparison.

He is reducing his training schedule in readiness for next week and will just do a few 'light' jogs and swims over the weekend, so hopefuly it will not trouble him to much.

Apologies for mixing Sam's woes in amongst your own problems, but the guru's will no doubt provide some interesting guidance on both.

Good luck with your training.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Keep your fitness by doing other excercises that will not strain your hip.
Cycling
Swimming
This will allow you to retain most of your current fitness level whilst also allowing your injury more freedom do heal.
Injury pain, (rather than breathing out of your a+$e bottomfield pain)
is your bodys way of telling you something is wrong.

Try to rest it as much as possible.

Good luck to you (and Sam)
Every meal a banquet, every paypacket a fortune...
Maverick00

Post by Maverick00 »

Its hard to say what the problem could be as you dont give much details.
Best advice will to be up your stretching routine to 2-3 times a day, be gentle and hold it for a long duration e.g. 1-2 mnutes (be sure to warm up).
Only undertake activities that don't aggrevate the problem e.g. cycling e.t.c.
If the pain is quite sharp then its quite possibly muscular damage, but if its more of a painful ache could quite possibly be caused by tightness/tension in a particular muscle.
Best advice if you've got the money is go see a physiotherapist or even better a sports therapist/sports masseur. Will prob cost you about 20 -odd quid but I use them for my sports injuries and always sort it
K24io

Post by K24io »

See a physio.

Might just be minor but it could lead to you putting more stress on other leg and damaging it further. Also advise the careers service you are have a wee prob and are seeking treatement. Don't leave till the friday before hand!

Pulling out late is always a bad idea! :lol:
Maverick00

Post by Maverick00 »

Yeah definetly give them a warning. They may have others on hold and if you leave it too late they won't be able to get anyone to fill it. I'm sure they will appreciate your problem, would probably have encountered it loads of times before.
Cronkilla

Post by Cronkilla »

Im going to talk to the people at my gym tommorrow and get advice etc
Im not going to go any runs next week only swimming and biking and no rowing machine as this aggrevates it aswell.Point noted about informing the AFCO in time thou.

You raised some good points Sams Dad. It only hurts when im running and a little bit after,so in theroy its 4 hours of annoying pain over 2 days,which occumpanied with the fact my lungs burn wont really matter.
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: Sam's Dad,With determination good backing and the will to do well,I am sure the boy will do well in his chosen career.Aye JR :wink:
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
joe

Post by joe »

Cronkilla, go see a physio. If you are worried enough to be posting on here, then it must be more than a "niggle" ... seeing a physio could be the best thirty quid you ever spent IMO! 8)
Sam's Dad

Post by Sam's Dad »

Thanks to all for the support.

With regard to contacting the AFCO, Sam gave them a call yesterday and explained his current leg niggle, they were brilliant. Bottom line was give them a call if he was going to postpone - not an issue even if it was on the day of travelling and it would not be a problem, alternative dates would be booked when he was ready. Very helpfull and understanding, as long as they are aware of what is happening and don't percieve you couldn't be arsed to turn up they are happy.

So now it is basically down to Sam, I think he will still go next week mainly because he is a bit fed up with the training, as you guys know better than me, training on your own for months is a real drag.

Cronkilla - your injury seems worse than Sam's, I would heed the advice about the physio, good luck anyway mate.
Cronkilla

Post by Cronkilla »

Just got back from the gym's physio. Couldnt really give an exact answer could me a muscle strain of a join problem. After some rather weird positions it feels much better,resting till monday before i run again.