Share This Page:

training standards(ctcrm)

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
conrad wesley

training standards(ctcrm)

Post by conrad wesley »

whats everyones opinion on the standard of training at ctcrm,has it gone easier atall in very recent years or not. i watched a doc off tv that followed 771 troop through training,and throughout the video there was an emphasis on how much the recruits should be beasted and if they should be atall,it was an officer who was proposing changes in the way recruits are treated and punished ect..... :roll:
daveitfc

Post by daveitfc »

I believe that with no doubt training has become easier in the way that people are treated! my main belief is this is because psychologists nd men in white coats have found that there are more effective ways of getting a response or positive attitude out of someone other than beating the shit out of people.
But lets not forget the commando tests people these have stayed the same and just as many people are getting through. Is this not evidence itself that although the training team may be "going easy" as you would like to say on the troops, whatever they are changing is producing the same results.
I believe that the old style training produced tougher recruits, but the new style is just as effective.
Let us not start to fall into the illusion that the green beret dosent mean as much as now as it used too.
El T

Post by El T »

Daveitfc,

Your comment re the commando tests being the same -

They may be the same tests but it is my understanding that the times a recruit is given to complete the tests today have been extended compared with the times expected of recruits in the early 60s.

No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.
ratso

Post by ratso »

No matter which period we all joined up in we will all have heard the old hands saying the training has changed and yes I dare say it has, sometimes for the better and some for the worse.
The one thing I have every respect for is a trainee, they are there now going through the beastings and the endurance course, do they have to do it? No of course they don't, why do they do it because they have the metal to do it.
Have the changes over the years turned out inferior Marines NO we can see that from what they do today in the Afgan. In the 70's and 80's we saw change the pass out levels were still low and the same applies today.
My cousins son is in training right now and doing well and I have more admiration for him than I had for myself as he left a house with more mod cons and central heating and a cumfy bed...... makes me feel tired thinking about it.
So in my opinion we are still turning out the best of the best, perhaps the world is changing with us but training is still the toughest in the western world.......
daveitfc

Post by daveitfc »

I think youve got it in one. That was the point i was trying to put across but im crap at condensing things.
I start on the 29th and look forward to it! must be off to get me sleep as harry hackdoff keeps telling me
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Dave
it`s for your own good! You will soon be wishing for sleep :lol:
Keep us posted while you`re at C.T.C. and keep smiling at the training team. That way, they`ll think you are simple and leave you alone. (It worked for Ratso!)
yours, Aye

Harry
daveitfc

Post by daveitfc »

LOL - good tip harry i may try that if all else fails!!
ratso

Post by ratso »

Harry I'm sure it must have been you that told me that as I got off the train......It worked :wink:
I'm still smiling why do you think Maggie wrote to me....... I think thyre all writing to me just in case I decide to go visiting....lol
:P :lol:
harry hackedoff

why aye, canny man, glad I made you smile :wink:

yours, Aye

HH
ratso

Post by ratso »

I will always keep on smiling when ever I look at the first piece of paper that started the ball rolling. I nearly didn't have the heart to bank it.....
:wink:
What that was what you were hoping....lol
harry hackedoff

no mate,Iknow you need a lot more.
My ex-matelot neighbour`s just been telling me about a certain gent in Navy News. I`ll read it tomorrow and that`l make ME smile

good luck, Rats

yours,

Harry
harry hackedoff

Further to that,
May`s Navy News has an excellant piece about the campaign to turn L10 into a Falklands Museum, strangely absent were any references to the much loved Ratso, however. A certain Mr C. Waite seems to have a lot to say!
Margaret Thatcher gets a mention , as does support from John Nott.
Rats, this was precision- guided publicity, targeted where it will do most good i.e. right at the Andrew themselves. After all, they still have the log book. :wink:

yours,

Harry
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

:D
Hey canny hinnies !
I remember when my squad reached the ITC ( a hundred and fifty years
ago ) at Lympstone and we were introduced to 'our' telegraph poles
....These 'new mates' were to be taken everywhere with us - nice way
to introduce the 'Buddy System'.... A few years later while training for the New York Tattoo of 1960 we did the assault course especially built for the purpose, did the runs out to the countryside (about 30 k's) ran the Tarzan course and dumped each other ( all, officers, NCO's and the rest of us )
in the handy fire reservoirs around the ITC - they stank - sat fire to the
tails of each others denison smocks and generally behaved as though we
were thoroughly enjoying life.... - With regard to recruit training :-
A three month ' Hell Week' of training, with - gosh - swearing and harrassment and to an extent bullying and cajoling, did nothing to prevent
us passing the bleeding course. No dropouts - a few minor casualties but 100% Squad passout - Now - a hundred and fifty years on - I see that it was worth it !
Gan canny now - cheeors !
:P
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Sharif

Post by Sharif »

hello,
everybody goes on about training, and how its changed. i've been out of training for only 8 months im in mortar tp at 42! so i still think i know the system at ctc.

training hasn't as such got easier i feel, however i would say theres a lot less emphasis on bull-shit baffles brains! thats not to say it doesn't happen because nearly everytime i go through the main gate at lympstone theres someone polishing them damn cannons.

about swearing at the recruits is wrong, if you mess up, im sure you all know the training team isn't just going to think about what you've done, his first reaction would be something along the lines of "you f*%^ing thick Tw*t!" and thrashings do still go on, not has much as they used to, but if you mess up the field you will catch it up. many a time i found myself piss wet through, theres always a stream or very big puddles lurking somewhere. i found myself on mud-runs if the troop admin wasn't squared away.

and finally and most importantly, the intensity of training is stiil there, a recruit in training is stiil put under the same physical and mental strains as they were 30 years ago. i couldn't walk going into my commando tests or after, i was told to crack on and not to drip many others have done it before you, so i did and 3 weeks later i was listening to the adjutant shout `ROYAL MARINES, TO YOUR DUTIES, QUICK MARCH'!!!! see, hasn't changed!

Sharif